Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I have no idea. I never studied the church of England's history. Anglicans sounds like another term for Anglo's as opposed to Saxons.
You tell me.
What is certain is that the denomination known as the Anglicans didn't start in 37 CE.

That's because it started in 1534 AD

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
And Rome started just after 300 CE.

Well, no. The city of Rome was earlier than 700 BC, and the church in Rome was probably before 50 AD, possibly within a year or so of the day of Pentecost.

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Well, no. The city of Rome was earlier than 700 BC, and the church in Rome was probably before 50 AD, possibly within a year or so of the day of Pentecost.
Not the denomination you subscribe to, however. Your church came after 300 CE.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Not the denomination you subscribe to, however. Your church came after 300 CE.

Well, my local parish is only about 100 years old.

The Catholic Church is 2,000 years old (maybe 1988 years old, depending on what year the day of Pentecost birth of the Church happened).

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married

The Catholic Church is 2,000 years old (maybe 1988 years old, depending on what year the day of Pentecost birth of the Church happened).
No, it's not. A congregation in Rome may have started fairly early, but it wasn't the church that Rome commissioned and then created a bogus leader called pope. But, we can go to the Roman thread cause this is all angling all the time. [emoji41]

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
No, it's not. A congregation in Rome may have started fairly early, but it wasn't the church that Rome commissioned and then created a bogus leader called pope. But, we can go to the Roman thread cause this is all angling all the time. [emoji41]

Of course not. That story is just fiction. God willing one day you will learn the difference between real things and the fiction stories you tell.

Last edited:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Yet you claim there MUST have been the unique, specific Catholic denomination by 50 AD because you assume (with no evidence whatsoever) that there were Christians living within the city walls of Rome (as well as equally in MANY other cities) at that time ... the presence of Christians PROVES the presence of a specific denomination. Then when you wrongly claim that Albion states there were Christians living in the British isles and thus the Anglican ("church of English people") church existed then, you specifically call it "crazy" and "insane", insisting that the presence of Christians in a given local has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the presence of some unique denomination.

You call your own fundamental point "crazy"and "insane."

Last edited:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

That story is just fiction. God willing one day you will learn the difference between real things and the fiction stories you tell.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Just what do you the term Anglican means?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

English (church). From the Latin Anglicanus, meaning 'of the English people.' Also related to the French, Angleterre.

Last edited:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

1962 would probably be a more correct date.

That would at least be consistent with your previous stance on how church origins are to be dated. 1962 was when the Roman Catholic Church changed some of its beliefs and procedures (as the then 1500 year old Anglican church did during the 16th century).

Last edited:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
That story is just fiction. God willing one day you will learn the difference between real things and the fiction stories you tell.

:smirk:

Excellent comeback, glad you copied it from me, makes a chap feel all warm and fuzzy about you.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm afraid it was just too obvious a way to illustrate how inconsistent your claims are. .

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I think there is solid historical proof that the church existed in England, Wales and Ireland before the Roman Church (the denomination the Empire invented) did anything there. There were Christians and parishes of them before the RC denomination was even begun. In that sense, the church in England is older than the Roman Church and existed before the Roman Church did anything there...

It is the "Church of England" but there have always been churches that pre-date all that by centuries and churches not ever a part of the Anglican Communion (including some Catholic and Lutheran ones)...

Yes, eventually, the parishes in England (and later in Scotland and still later in Ireland) came under the thumb of the Roman Church. I don't think Albion has denied that. Perhaps he is simply stating a historical fact: the church existed there long before the Roman Church did anything there, before that denomination was even founded. That's seems undeniable to me...

I'm not sure of the utility of quibbling over dates that "churches" existed in England and other parts of Europe, and when the "Church of England" (proper) had its origins. No-one has said they didn't exist prior. If one is attempting to trace Anglican church origins, dating this to the Church of England doesn't seem unreasonable.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
"Newly separated" from Papal oversight.

There is nothing in this information that changes what has already been posted here.

Within the decade, the Pope would formally declare that his church was breaking from the Church of England and call for all members of the Church in England who remained loyal to him (the Pope) to come out from it and start up new Catholic chapels.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm not sure of the utility of quibbling over dates that "churches" existed in England and other parts of Europe, and when the "Church of England" (proper) had its origins. No-one has said they didn't exist prior. If one is attempting to trace Anglican church origins, dating this to the Church of England doesn't seem unreasonable.

I agree.

Of course, MoreCoffee dogmatically insisting that because (he claims with ZERO evidence) that there were Christians in Rome within 10 years of Pentecost PROVES the specific Catholic Church (that denomination) ERGO existed then is essentially the same as his (false!) accusation that Albion claiming that Christians existed in the British isles very early PROVES the Anglican Church (that denomination) existed then is (as MC specifically stated) "crazy" and "insane" ... what MC is doing is simply calling his own foundational dogmatic claim is "crazy" and "insane."

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Thanks. The Church of England, AKA the Anglican Church, has existed since antiquity and was not planted by missionaries from the Roman diocese. But now, let's all move on to the matter of beliefs, can we? That is what was the focus of attention--and logically so--when we were talking about other churches.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
"Newly separated" from Papal oversight.

There is nothing in this information that changes what has already been posted here.

Within the decade, the Pope would formally declare that his church was breaking from the Church of England and call for all members of the Church in England who remained loyal to him (the Pope) to come out from it and start up new Catholic chapels.

http://anglican.org/church/ChurchHistory.html

You're missing some details Albion.

The web page gives no support to "37 AD" as the commencement date for churches in "England"

The web page says:
The name "Anglican" means "of England", but the Anglican church exists worldwide. It began in the sixth century in England, when Pope Gregory the Great sent St. Augustine to Britain to bring a more disciplined Apostolic succession to the Celtic Christians. The Anglican Church evolved as part of the Roman church, but the Celtic influence was folded back into the Roman portion of the church in many ways, perhaps most notably by Charlemagne's tutor Aidan. The Anglican church was spread worldwide first by English colonization and then by English-speaking missionaries.​

But your denomination started when Henry VIII separated from the Catholic Church which is the Church from which the mission to the British isles originated in the sixth century.

Last edited:

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Thanks. The Church of England, AKA the Anglican Church, has existed since antiquity and was not planted by missionaries from the Roman diocese. But now, let's all move on to the matter of beliefs, can we? That is what was the focus of attention--and logically so--when we were talking about other churches.

I'd assumed it was "origins, claims, and theology". If we are dropping the "origins" piece, then I will leave it alone. Apologies

Top Bottom