Praying to the deceased - correlation with those who believe in ghosts?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Not a single scripture in the quote you posted.

That is not correct. Just not a single chapter & verse reference, but there are many scripture quotes in the CCT paragraphs that I posted. It is left to the faithful to recognise them and apply them. I would give the references but it seems more work than is worth performing for a chat where nobody seems very interested in what the scriptures say if they can pretend to have a grasp of what the scriptures really mean.

You mean like the great giulf between those living and those dead? That scripture?

I mean like the great gulf between the facts and the things written in anti-catholic opinions expressed in this and other threads.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
That doesnt answer the question asked

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
That doesnt answer the question asked

You didn't ask a real question. That post was a piece of theatre. It was rhetorical. The answer I gave was in kind.

kiwimac

Religious Affiliation
Utrecht
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Married
No one prays to the saints. We pray WITH them. Asking them only to think of us as they too pray.

Sent from my SM-A500Y using Tapatalk

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
No one prays to the saints. We pray WITH them. Asking them only to think of us as they too pray.

Everyone prays to the saints when they ask for something to be done for them by one of the saints. The thing that is asked of the saints in heaven is no different from the thing asked of the saints on earth. "Pray for me to the Lord our God" we ask. To pray to the saints is to ask the saints to pray for others or for ourselves. Prayer is asking. Prayer is not in itself worship.

Pray for me to the Lord our God. As I pray for you.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Where is that in the Bible that saints in heaven pray? They worship according to some people who visited, but pray for people on earth? I thought you only had that authority when your body is alive. I was also surprised to find that Jesus prays for us.

http://www.blogos.org/exploringtheword/prayer-in-heaven.php

Interesting, never known that. But you can't ask them, so if you want aunt so and so to pray for you you'd have to ask God if He wants to ask her to pray for you and then it's easier to just ask Him.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Everyone prays to the saints when they ask for something to be done for them by one of the saints. The thing that is asked of the saints in heaven is no different from the thing asked of the saints on earth. "Pray for me to the Lord our God" we ask. To pray to the saints is to ask the saints to pray for others or for ourselves. Prayer is asking. Prayer is not in itself worship.

Jesus isnt enough? That is not an attack, that is an honest question that is raised by the very statement of praying to someone other thsan Jesus

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jesus isnt enough? That is not an attack, that is an honest question that is raised by the very statement of praying to someone other thsan Jesus

If you're sick you can ask the elders to pray for you, so asking someone else to join you in prayer, we do that here too. The idea wouldn't enter my mind though to expect the ones in heaven to pray. I always have the idea that they don't care what's going on here and float on clouds or play harp in one of those gardens. The catholic idea that they're praying might be more Biblical, I have no idea. Can only find that one text and that's not really intercession what those martyrs do. I do let Steve Hill and Derek Prince pray for me though and I still listen to their preachings. I got set free from things when Derek Prince prayed. I just put on youtube or Facebook. Steve Hill did his own altar call for his funeral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czBftlV72IM

visionary

Religious Affiliation
Messianic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

And that is forbidden. You are not to pray to the dead.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Aren't Christians alive in Christ? Doesn't the NT say something about "even though you die yet shall you live?" Are those in heaven "dead" OR are those in heaven perhaps more alive than we? Now, I think a solid case could be made that those in hell are dead, but that's another issue that no Christian seems to deny.

Just a thought (which has nothing to do with whether we may or should request them to pray for us).

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

Do you also believe that those who have passed are in spirit form here on earth with you?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Jesus is enough for the faithful. That is why the saint Paul asked the faithful to pray for him.
1Thessalonians 5:25 Brethren, pray for us.​

Even the repentant wicked ask for prayers.
1Kings 13:6 And the king said to the man of God, "Entreat now the favour of the LORD your God, and pray for me, that my hand may be restored to me." And the man of God entreated the LORD; and the king's hand was restored to him, and became as it was before.
Acts 8:24 And Simon answered, "Pray for me to the Lord, that nothing of what you have said may come upon me."​

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is enough for the faithful. That is why the saint Paul asked the faithful to pray for him.
1Thessalonians 5:25 Brethren, pray for us.​

Even the repentant wicked ask for prayers.
1Kings 13:6 And the king said to the man of God, "Entreat now the favour of the LORD your God, and pray for me, that my hand may be restored to me." And the man of God entreated the LORD; and the king's hand was restored to him, and became as it was before.
Acts 8:24 And Simon answered, "Pray for me to the Lord, that nothing of what you have said may come upon me."​
These are examples of people living not thiose who have passed on

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
These are examples of people living not thiose who have passed on

The holy scriptures say praying for the dead is virtuous:
2Maccabees 12:41-44 So they all blessed the ways of the Lord, the righteous Judge, who reveals the things that are hidden; 42 and they turned to prayer, beseeching that the sin which had been committed might be wholly blotted out. And the noble Judas exhorted the people to keep themselves free from sin, for they had seen with their own eyes what had happened because of the sin of those who had fallen. 43 He also took up a collection, man by man, to the amount of two thousand drachmas of silver, and sent it to Jerusalem to provide for a sin offering. In doing this he acted very well and honourably, taking account of the resurrection. 44 For if he were not expecting that those who had fallen would rise again, it would have been superfluous and foolish to pray for the dead.​
And the holy scriptures show that the departed saints pray for the living.
Revelation 6:9-11 When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the spoken word of God and for the witness they had borne; 10 they cried out with a loud voice, "O Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long before thou wilt judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell upon the earth?" 11 Then they were each given a white robe and told to rest a little longer, until the number of their fellow servants and their brethren should be complete, who were to be killed as they themselves had been.​

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Macabees is not canon to me while I respect the hsitory I do not accept it as canon. As to the other they are in heaven crying out for justice, these are the martyred saints of tribulation, they are not praying for someone on earth

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Macabees is not canon to me while I respect the hsitory I do not accept it as canon. As to the other they are in heaven crying out for justice, these are the martyred saints of tribulation, they are not praying for someone on earth

2 Maccabees is inspired and holy scripture quite apart from who rejects and who accepts it.

Saint John saw the prayers of the saints in heaven before the throne of God.
Revelation 8:3-4 And another angel came and stood at the altar with a golden censer; and he was given much incense to mingle with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar before the throne; 4 and the smoke of the incense rose with the prayers of the saints from the hand of the angel before God.​

Last edited:

visionary

Religious Affiliation
Messianic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
2 Maccabees is inspired and holy scripture quite apart from who rejects and who accepts it.

Saint John saw the prayers of the saints in heaven before the throne of God.
Revelation 8:3-4 And another angel came and stood at the altar with a golden censer; and he was given much incense to mingle with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar before the throne; 4 and the smoke of the incense rose with the prayers of the saints from the hand of the angel before God.​
Those prayers of the saints are alive on earth people.... Where do you think your prayers go?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Those prayers of the saints are alive on earth people.... Where do you think your prayers go?

I think that the prayers of the saints in heaven are the prayers that are offered at the golden altar in heaven. You appear to think otherwise.

My prayers which are offered here on earth may well be taken by the angels to God in heaven. I do not know. They may alo be heard directly by God without travelling at all. The question you've asked is not directly answered in the passage I quoted because the passage I quoted happens in heaven.

Top Bottom