Is the book of Jonah ever quoted in the New Testament?

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I dunno, the bible mentions the festival, Jesus is at the Temple during the festival, sounds like it meant something more than just him hanging around to annoy the high priests...

Apparently they want us to believe that Jesus was there handing out pamphlets telling people not to celebrate it.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Apparently they want us to believe that Jesus was there handing out pamphlets telling people not to celebrate it.
Pretty much, just a guy in the back handing out flyers.. Truth was he was preaching in the Temple during the festivals because he was the high priest

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Pretty much, just a guy in the back handing out flyers.. Truth was he was preaching in the Temple during the festivals because he was the high priest

Some people have said to me that Jesus never went in, because it says he was out on Solomon’s porch.

Yea, like someone going to an 8-day feast is never going to set foot on the porch.

Origen

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
sounds like it meant something more than just him hanging around to annoy the high priests
Mere speculation. No where does the text make that claim.

Last edited:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Mere speculation. No where does the text make that claim.

But I think our friend holds that his speculation = fact. Of course, undeniably, the Bible NEVER states that Jesus celebrated this event. Anyone who is able to read KNOWS that, but again, if what the Bible says is irrelevant.... and what our friend speculates is thus fact... when referencing the Bible is irrelevant. Yes, Jesus was THERE. Yes, it was during a festival. THAT'S what the Bible says. Now, anyone can speculate that Jesus was there to celebrate that event or protest that event or whatever they want but none of that is what the Bible says. I'm often amazed at the profound disrespect some have for God's Word.... how the just equate their feelings, opinions and speculations with what God says, equating self with God. Amazing. AT LEAST have the basic honesty to admit, "God says, but I personally speculate."

Origen

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
But I think our friend holds that his speculation = fact. Of course, undeniably, the Bible NEVER states that Jesus celebrated this event. Anyone who is able to read KNOWS that, but again, if what the Bible says is irrelevant.... and what our friend speculates is thus fact... when referencing the Bible is irrelevant. Yes, Jesus was THERE. Yes, it was during a festival. THAT'S what the Bible says. Now, anyone can speculate that Jesus was there to celebrate that event or protest that event or whatever they want but none of that is what the Bible says. I'm often amazed at the profound disrespect some have for God's Word.... how the just equate their feelings, opinions and speculations with what God says, equating self with God. Amazing. AT LEAST have the basic honesty to admit, "God says, but I personally speculate."
I could not agree more. I prefer to follow what the text actually states rather than what it does not. The fact is if John wanted to covey the thought that Jesus' celebrated it, there is no reason why he could not have done just that. There is more than one Greek verb capable of doing just that. Yet John does not do that.

Last edited:

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I could not agree more. I prefer to follow what the text actually states rather than what it does not. The fact is if John wanted to covey the thought that Jesus' celebrated it, there is no reason why he could not have done just that. There is more than one Greek verb capable of doing just that. Yet John does not do that.
Okay then scratch "celebrated".. he attended the festival.

Origen

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Last edited:

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The text does use the verb "attended."
Do you agree with the following statement?

"Jesus did not celebrate nor attend the feast of dedication."

Find me a commentator who agrees with you.

We both know that the word "Trinity" is not to be found in Scripture yet you aren't willing to admit another obvious observation, that Jesus who was an observant Jew, did not ignore nor rebuke the well known Jewish holiday but did just the opposite when he went to Jerusalem to the Temple during the festival dedicated to the Temple located in Jerusalem..

if it were a mere reference to the winter time then why mention the feast at all? Why not use "Saturnalia" or "the winter solstice"?

Ever heard of a Christian who just happens to be hanging out at Church on Easter Sunday but doesn't believe in the resurrection of Christ?

That's silly.

:)

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Exactly! No Jews celebrated the feast of dedication, if they did the Bible would have told us they did, it's just a gross speculation to believe that any Jew celebrated the feast ESPECIALLY Jesus!

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

You’re confusing that which is not stated with a leap in logic.

Just because it doesn’t specifically say “Jesus celebrated Hanukkah” does not make it illogical or speculative to conclude that Jesus’ family and relatives were celebrating the holiday, including Jesus himself.

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
To get back to the original question, does Jonah have to be quoted word for word with the phrase “thus saith the Lord” in front of it, in order for the New Testament to provide verification for it?

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
By the way, I once had a vegan (who’s also a Christian) tell me that even though the New Testament says that Jesus celebrated Passover, it doesn’t actually say that Jesus ate lamb at the Passover.

However, eating lamb is part of the Passover celebration. It’s only logical to assume that Jesus ate lamb at Passover.

“Oh, but it doesn’t specifically say that!” The vegan tells me.

You see, you can always take what the Bible does NOT specifically say to promote your own agenda instead of just coming to the most logical conclusion.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You’re confusing that which is not stated with a leap in logic.

You are confusing what God actually states with what you call a "leap in logic" on your own part. it seems to a profound disrespect for God and an amazing ego in yourself.... to actually submit God to what you call your own "leap in logic."

It would be a slight decrease in your prideful ego if you admitted the obvious truth, "God didn't say this, but I myself speculate....."

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
You are confusing what God actually states with what you call a "leap in logic" on your own part. it seems to a profound disrespect for God and an amazing ego in yourself.... to actually submit God to what you call your own "leap in logic."

It would be a slight decrease in your prideful ego if you admitted the obvious truth, "God didn't say this, but I myself speculate....."

Here is a google search on the question "did jesus attend the feast of dedication?"..
It appears 100% of the results are by egotistic and "disrespectful to God" Christians and Messianic Jews!

I also cant find any commentators who do NOT agree with Nathan on this one.

Can you provide maybe a Lutheran article that sides with you on this?

Andrew

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
b9776c36f0545d489507e2676de3ddda.jpg

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Here is a google search on the question "did jesus attend the feast of dedication?"..
It appears 100% of the results are by egotistic and "disrespectful to God" Christians and Messianic Jews!

Yea, apparently Jonathan Cahn is disrespecting God’s Word too.

Origen

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Do you agree with the following statement?

"Jesus did not celebrate nor attend the feast of dedication."
I can only tell you what the text does or does not state. The text does not use the verbs "celebrated" or "attended." The fact is if John's intended to covey one of those thoughts there is no reason why he could not have done just that.

Last edited:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Andrew

1. See post 15 where our friend hijacks his own thread, bringing it to his familiar theme that some unnamed corpus of books must be accepted by all as the inerrant, fully/equally canonical, inscripturated words of God and it should be legally required that all publishing houses include them in the Bibles they print. Then see the response in post 16. This begins one of the current discussions here. Please review those two posts.

2. Nathan states that John 10:22-23 (which he quotes) states that Jesus CELEBRATED the Festival of Dedication. Of course, it does not (as he proves). Anyone who can read knows Nathan is wrong. It only says "then came the Festival of Dedication" and Jesus was WALKING. Nothing about attending or celebrating or participating. Now, is that a reasonable assumption? I'd say yes, but it is wrong to insist (over and over and over) that the Bible says he CELEBRATED the festival. In a very unusual step, he calls this a "LEAP" (sic!!!) of HIS "logic." Well, then it's not what the Bible says. This is a very familiar theme of our friend.... completely confusing his own "LEAP" (sic) of his "logic" for what Scripture actually says (he himself makes this point in this tread) and then insisting God must be stating what he does; no, his speculations are NOT the same (or greater!) than what Scripture says. No one's is.

3. You give a link that you say indicates Jesus was in Jerusalem during the Festival. No one here has denied that. But does the Bible state that Jesus CELEBRATED the event because Jesus held that there are a bunch of unidentified books that He (and all Jews and all Christians) accepted as the inerrant, fully/equally canonical, inscripturated words of God and were in every Bible until some Protestant took all the Bibles and ripped those books out? I didn't read the sites you suggested, but I doubt it. And that is his point.

Blessings.

Josiah

Last edited:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I can only tell you what the text does or does not state. The text does not use the verbs "celebrated" or "attended." The fact is if John's intended to covey one of those thoughts there is no reason why he could not have done just that.P"

Correct.

And to address Nathan's point in his hijack of his own thread, that it was the Festival of Dedication and Jesus was walking in the city does NOT mean that ERGO Jesus held that there is a whole bunch of unidentified books that all Jews and Christians accepted as The inerrant, fully/equally canonical, divinely inscripturated words of God and found in every Jewish and Christian Bible until some unknown Protestant took all the Bibles out of the pews and ripped those books out of them. Nope. Our friend says he employs a "LEAP" (sic!) - one that might eclipse the moon - of HIS "logic" to come up with this stuff. Well.... we might question the LEAP and the "LOGIC" but where he is clearly dishonest is when he insists the BIBLE STATES this or that. Anyone who can read knows he is untruthful and dishonest (and disrespectful of Scripture). More honest would be "MY personal speculation.... based on a huge LEAP..... in what to ME seems logical (or at least possible)..... is this or that." But to claim the BIBLE says it or JESUS does is.... well.... we all know.

And... here again.... I always find it remarkable how our friend will quote a verse to show himself to be wrong. He does this a lot, shooting himself in the foot. He quotes John 10:22-23 where we find only these verbs: "walking" and "said." Where is "celebrated" "attended" "participated?" And where is our friend's point, "BECAUSE Jesus (and every one else) held that there is a bunch of books everyone accepts as Scripture and was in all Bibles until some Protestant took them all out of the pews and ripped "them" out."

Last edited:
Top Bottom