Blessed are you when they have slandered you.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Matthew 5:11-12 11 Blessed are you when they have slandered you, and persecuted you, and spoken all kinds of evil against you, falsely, for my sake: 12 be glad and exult, for your reward in heaven is plentiful. For so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

It's not so easy to know when this blessing applies; is it about people abusing you because of your religion? Is it about people mistreating you because of your religion? Is it only genuine persecution when people physically assault you even as far as attempting to kill you or is a lesser kind of brutality be it physical or verbal also in mind.

When I have had discussions with Jehovah's witnesses some have told of persecution that they've endured; for them the persecution is family or friends cutting them off or people slamming the door in their face or doing mean spirited things to them or their property. Would that qualify as persecution?

Or is it the secular government refusing to allow its state funded and owned property to be used for overtly Christian religious meetings and practises - such as school prayer?

It seems like a hard to pin down concept to me.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Matthew 5:11-12 11 Blessed are you when they have slandered you, and persecuted you, and spoken all kinds of evil against you, falsely, for my sake: 12 be glad and exult, for your reward in heaven is plentiful. For so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

It's not so easy to know when this blessing applies; is it about people abusing you because of your religion? Is it about people mistreating you because of your religion? Is it only genuine persecution when people physically assault you even as far as attempting to kill you or is a lesser kind of brutality be it physical or verbal also in mind.

When I have had discussions with Jehovah's witnesses some have told of persecution that they've endured; for them the persecution is family or friends cutting them off or people slamming the door in their face or doing mean spirited things to them or their property. Would that qualify as persecution?

Or is it the secular government refusing to allow its state funded and owned property to be used for overtly Christian religious meetings and practises - such as school prayer?

I think it simply means that true faith is standing up for your faith and enduring any and all negative reactions.
If the day comes where they cut off the heads of all Christians are you going to deny Christ?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

There are various degrees of persecution and it is up to God to decide how much to reward each of us for it. He weighs things that you and I cannot see such as our motive and our hearts

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
There are various degrees of persecution and it is up to God to decide how much to reward each of us for it. He weighs things that you and I cannot see such as our motive and our hearts

I wonder what Christians in Palestine, Israel, Iraq, Syria, and Yemen feel like regarding the question.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't see why we would focus on overt persecution when the verse also speaks of something much more common--speaking ill/evil of other people, especially if it is slanderous. I do think that the issue concerns relations between individuals rather than inquisitions or national, governmental policy.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I don't see why we would focus on overt persecution when the verse also speaks of something much more common--speaking ill/evil of other people, especially if it is slanderous. I do think that the issue concerns relations between individuals rather than inquisitions or national, governmental policy.

The conjunction in the verse is 'and"; it is slander and persecute and say all sorts of false things against you. It's possible that the Lord is talking about persecution that includes false accusations as well as slanders in conjunction with whatever "persecution" is intended to imply.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
But you focused on overt persecution in the posts that came prior to my reply. Now, of course, you are reconsidering.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I wonder what Christians in Palestine, Israel, Iraq, Syria, and Yemen feel like regarding the question.

I'm sure it is much clearer to them that there is a cost in following Christ.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 5:11-12

It only applies to Christian persecutions...

Although... Persecutions for ANY truth carry great blessing - As did fasting for Ghandi...

But the text is clear: [and yes, a different translation, and I bolded some:]

Mat 5:11-12
Blessed are ye,
when men shall revile you,
and persecute you,
and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely,
for My sake.
Rejoice, and be exceeding glad:
for great is your reward in the heavens

Clearly it does not pertain to being so treated for criminal behavior on your part...
Nor for proclaiming non-existent, or false, or demonic gods...

Martyrdom for Christ IS the Christian Witness...
It is NOT arguing personal opinions about the Bible...

Arsenios

Top Bottom