Are Christians obligated to keep the Sabbath?

RichWh1

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
RichWh1,
re: "You're not making sense."

In my post #65 I asked you: "With regard to Gentiles, are you saying that the phrase '...not having the Law...'means that the shalls and shall nots in the Law do not apply to them?"

In your post #67 you said "No. Gentile Christians have the Law written on their hearts". I took that to mean that you were saying that the shalls and shall nots actually do apply to them.

What did I say that didn’t make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
No
RichWh1,
re: "What did I say that didn’t make sense?"

I haven't said you weren't .

RichWh1

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
RichWh1,
re: "No."

So the shalls and the shall nots do apply to them, i.e., the 10 Commandments. So the answer to the OP is yes.

The Old Testament Law does not need to be kept in order for one to be saved. From the Law comes the knowledge of sin.

Paul wrote that we are under grace not Law fro the Law condemns us (makes us aware of sin).
What the Law could not do God did in sending His only Son to be the satisfaction for our sins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Depends, those who walk in the spirit against such there is no law but how about those who dont walk in the spirit? Also that verse says we have the law written on our hearts, why would that be if it doesnt apply?

Bump

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No
RichWh1,
re: "What the Law could not do God did in sending His only Son to be the satisfaction for our sins."

But only for certain persons. Unless of course universalism is true.

MrW

Religious Affiliation
Christian
No
The sabbath is a sign between God and Israel, not God and the Church. There is certainly no harm in keeping the Sabbath, or in keeping Sunday, or in keeping both, but it is not a command to the Church.

harmonicat

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Divorced
No
I like the OP post and agree with every word. The Sabbath controversy is just one more grain of salt added to Christianity's many wounds. It's a divisive 'doctrine' carried way to far by Sabbath keepers. SDA's and the Armstrong-ism sects are obsessed with it. Similar to other Christian doctrines, believers elevate themselves by condemning others. SDA's claim Ellen G. White had a divine understanding about Sunday worship which she claimed is the mark of the beast.

One point you've made that I have also is, "the Sabbath law was given in Exodus 16-2500 years after creation;"
SDA enthusiast claim the Sabbath began at creation. The LORD - and His 'el' host - rested but He didn't create a Sabbath law for people. The word Sabbath isn't found in Genesis anyway. Rest is NOT Sabbath.

Skot

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There is only one Sabbath as described clearly in the Torah. Even the Lord was not resurrected on Shabbat, so there is something special about the day starting Friday night designated in Genesis. On the other hand I think the apostle Paul was pretty clear we are not to live in judgement regarding the day we observe be it Shabbat or another day like the Lords day Sunday.
Even the pagan Romans "sacrificed" one days work to honor their gods when they would not work at all.
I personally like the idea of sanctifying the Shabbat starting Friday night.. as it sets the mood for the weekend leading up to the resurrection Sunday. Each person should best decide how to do this but one thing is clear. We should not be judged or judge others in this regard irrespective of the day or days they sanctify.

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No
"...the apostle Paul was pretty clear we are not to live in judgement regarding the day we observe be it Shabbat or another day like the Lords day Sunday."
To what writing by Paul are you referring?

Skot

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Colossians 2:16-23

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No
Colossians 2:16-23
Skot,
re: "Colossians 2:16-23"

How do you know that Paul is referring to judgement regarding the day the Sabbath is observed as opposed to how the Sabbath was being observed?

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

While avoiding the worship of wandering stars a person will find rest.

Blessings Always

FredVB

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
We who are in Christ are not under judgment ever. That would not be a meaningful argument to use against Christian believers. For those who are not in Christ, they are subject to judgment anyway. And is there no obligation to not be ignoring the Sabbath, for them? It is among the ten commandments which they do break. Still, it is not possible to come to the needed rest for Sabbath, apart from Christ. So Sabbath can only benefit the actual believers, as Sabbath is meant to do. And it should not be denied to others.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We who are in Christ are not under judgment ever. That would not be a meaningful argument to use against Christian believers. For those who are not in Christ, they are subject to judgment anyway. And is there no obligation to not be ignoring the Sabbath, for them? It is among the ten commandments which they do break. Still, it is not possible to come to the needed rest for Sabbath, apart from Christ. So Sabbath can only benefit the actual believers, as Sabbath is meant to do. And it should not be denied to others.

When Christ returns we all face judgment. It's just that because we have faith we are declared Not Guilty and get to have eternal life.

FredVB

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
YourTruthGod said:
You mean as in a literal day to do nothing? What if your boss only gave you Mondays off to do nothing?

Sabbath is meant for man to be off from work to give the time to draw near to God, in God's will. Believers are not going to be judged for not understanding that. But any who keep others working for them from rest all that day from that work will be accountable to Yahweh for that.

RichWh1 said:
The Jewish Sabbath has not changed. It is still Friday sundown to Saturday sundown.
The sabbath rest we read of in the New Testament is the rest we have in the finished work of Jesus Christ.

I do not ever see the distinction of Jewish Sabbath from any other Sabbath in the Bible. Where is there the passage, or passages, referred to for that?

Lämmchen said:
When Christ returns we all face judgment. It's just that because we have faith we are declared Not Guilty and get to have eternal life.

Believers are not under judgment, as I said, Christ bore all that would be for judgment for those who are in Christ. We who really are believers are in him and we are not under judgment because he bore all the judgment for us who are in him.

We are still accountable for living rightly which God is leading us toward, may we really be responsive, and more so.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Sabbath is meant for man to be off from work to give the time to draw near to God, in God's will. Believers are not going to be judged for not understanding that. But any who keep others working for them from rest all that day from that work will be accountable to Yahweh for that.

I do not ever see the distinction of Jewish Sabbath from any other Sabbath in the Bible. Where is there the passage, or passages, referred to for that?

Believers are not under judgment, as I said, Christ bore all that would be for judgment for those who are in Christ. We who really are believers are in him and we are not under judgment because he bore all the judgment for us who are in him.

We are still accountable for living rightly which God is leading us toward, may we really be responsive, and more so.

So what happens on Judgment Day. Do not all get judged?

FredVB

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
So what happens on Judgment Day. Do not all get judged?

I don't know it all and claim it with certainty, it seems some are sheltered with those believing the same way and do not trust other believers they then find with some different beliefs would disagree peacefully and not be condemning. I do not know surely from what I read, but believers who are in Christ are not under judgment and if believers are going to appear before the judgment throne of God it would be said of each this one was a believer who is in Christ and is written of in the book of life. They still would not be under judgment, whatever is said of each of them.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't know it all and claim it with certainty, it seems some are sheltered with those believing the same way and do not trust other believers they then find with some different beliefs would disagree peacefully and not be condemning. I do not know surely from what I read, but believers who are in Christ are not under judgment and if believers are going to appear before the judgment throne of God it would be said of each this one was a believer who is in Christ and is written of in the book of life. They still would not be under judgment, whatever is said of each of them.

Maybe you are defining "judgment" differently? We will all be there for Judgment Day...it's just that believes won't be punished for their sins because Jesus took that punishment and we are forgiven.

Bluezone777

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I think he is equating judgment and condemnation as being the same thing which would be incorrect. The unrighteous are judged to determine their punishment in hell and the righteous are judged to determine the reward they will receive in heaven. The act of being judged in of itself is neutral as it is the judgement you defines whether it goes well for you or not.

rstrats

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
No
Maybe you are defining "judgment" differently? We will all be there for Judgment Day...it's just that believes won't be punished for their sins because Jesus took that punishment and we are forgiven.

What punishment did the Messiah take that otherwise would have to be taken by us?

Top Bottom