Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
If colonies were safely built on other planets would you move to one?

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Honestly, I doubt it. Not unless enough friends and family members also moved that it wouldn't create social isolation.

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
We are speaking of a real situation that existed just a few hundred years ago when Europeans attempted to colonize lands that were already colonized. Mankind evolved in sub-Saharan Africa but in the last hundred thousand years has colonized the globe.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We are speaking of a real situation that existed just a few hundred years ago when Europeans attempted to colonize lands that were already colonized. Mankind evolved in sub-Saharan Africa but in the last hundred thousand years has colonized the globe.

Not sure what that has to do with the question but, you know, whatever....

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
You know a lot of scientist believe in outer space colonies on other planets given the number of stars in the universe, but what IF we are the first? How can they figure that we are the [insert a ridiculously large number here] planet in line?

Are we meant to seed other planets?

I believe Heaven is a physical place and not spiritual where we will have footing, technically that food is land and land is technically earth, a new earth and a new heaven suggest another planet somewhere out in in the cosmos.. Just my personal theory.

But no I wouldn't want to waste my energy adapting to a new environment and probably die of lack of sun light or some gravitational imbalance that deforms us or pur lifeline is cut short

Castle Church

Religious Affiliation
Methodist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I would certainly love to travel to another planet or moon. But live? Not at this time. The situation on this planet would have to be much worse for me to make that jump. Moving lightyears away to a colony world with little developed resources and people is not really something I am looking for now. Assuming it is an Earth-like planet, it would still require a huge investment in people and development to make it anything like a normal small town on Earth. If I want to live in a small town or rural place I can still do that here. If the situation changed here enough to a place where that was not possible, or the safety and political situation changed drastically to where it was just not safe here, I would consider it.

That said, my current skillset is not something that any colony world would need.

Last edited:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I like this one.

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
A trip to Mars would take almost two years with minimal chance of ever returning. A trip from Europe to the New World took just 3 to 6 months but there too the chance for a colonist to return were similarly minimal.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
A trip to Mars would take almost two years with minimal chance of ever returning. A trip from Europe to the New World took just 3 to 6 months but there too the chance for a colonist to return were similarly minimal.

Which is all well and good, but the question originally asked was whether you would move rather than what the logistics of a move might look like.

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
Which is all well and good, but the question originally asked was whether you would move rather than what the logistics of a move might look like.

Before making a decision on this or any other question it is well to consider similar situations from the past.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Before making a decision on this or any other question it is well to consider similar situations from the past.

... and the dodging continues. Never mind.

Member4592

No. Because I have my family. Space isn't safe. I would be too scared to make that decision to leave Earth.

Alexander

Religious Affiliation
Other Religion
Yes
It would be a challenging decision. The toughest factor would be leaving everything behind me, my career, my family, and any friends I have. Secondly, could I imagine a world that hasn't developed with modern technology? It would be tough never to use the internet again!

mailmandan

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Our society has changed so much since I was a kid that sometimes I feel like I live on a different planet.

Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Yes
No, I find my home planet Earth pretty amazing and entirely entertaining. As they say: There’s no place like home.

Bluezone777

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Many of the problems that might cause someone to entertain the idea of going to another planet are caused by people and moving to another planet would only cause us to carry those problems over there so I am favor of staying here rather than going to some other planet.

Top Bottom