Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Donald Trump’s attempt to explain the Battle of Gettysburg took some strange verbal detours ― and his critics were quick to call him out over it.

“Gettysburg, what an unbelievable battle that was. The Battle of Gettysburg,” the former president said at a rally in Pennsylvania on Saturday. “What an unbelievable, I mean it was so much, and so interesting, and so vicious and horrible, and so beautiful in so many different ways.”

Trump continued: “Gettysburg. Wow. I go to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania to look and to watch. And the statement of Robert E. Lee ― who’s no longer in favor, did you ever notice that? No longer in favor ― ‘Never fight uphill, me boys, never fight uphill.’ They were fighting uphill. He said, ‘Wow, that was a big mistake.’ He lost his great general, and they were fighting. ‘Never fight uphill, me boys!’ But it was too late.”

What person in their right mind would say that certain aspects of the Battle of Gettysburg was "beautiful"? The answer is: None.

Your thoughts about what Trump said?

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes

What person in their right mind would say that certain aspects of the Battle of Gettysburg was "beautiful"? The answer is: None.

I agree with Trump. There is a beauty in war. It is horrible for sure. But one observes a people or a man contending to the death for what they believe. The bravery and sacrifice do reflect a beauty and glory.

Robert E. Lee observed it. At the battle of Fredericksburg he told General Longstreet " It is well war is so terrible--we should grow to fond of it".

Lees

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You have to understand the logistics of Pennsylvania to know what he's referring to. There is a genius in battle design and failure comes when you don't understand the land.

I haven't visited Gettysburg, but I did visit Antietam, which is where the bloodiest battle on US soil was fought, according to the tour. In Pennsylvania there are rolling hills and what happened during battle is that the locals knew how to navigate during a battle. Out of towners were caught by surprise that when they climbed a hill, and there was the enemy in their face unexpectedly, and that's because of the rolling hills. This strategy could be considered "beautiful" because it's something that people on flat land can't fathom in a battle, that they have to pay attention to the layout of the land and how they proceed.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You have to understand the logistics of Pennsylvania to know what he's referring to. There is a genius in battle design and failure comes when you don't understand the land.

I haven't visited Gettysburg, but I did visit Antietam, which is where the bloodiest battle on US soil was fought, according to the tour. In Pennsylvania there are rolling hills and what happened during battle is that the locals knew how to navigate during a battle. Out of towners were caught by surprise that when they climbed a hill, and there was the enemy in their face unexpectedly, and that's because of the rolling hills. This strategy could be considered "beautiful" because it's something that people on flat land can't fathom in a battle, that they have to pay attention to the layout of the land and how they proceed.

I found Gettysburg to be a fascinating place to visit.

As you say the terrain makes a big difference in war, especially with the clock rolled back to when war meant men with guns and swords rather than aircraft.

I can only imagine trying to flush out a defending group from somewhere like the Devil's Den with nothing more than personal firearms and swords, when the people tucked into the numerous hiding spots there could shoot me down from 100 yards away while I'd have to be much closer to even see where they were.

If you're lined up across one ridge and want to attach an adjacent ridge it's hard to do it without your troops being exposed to enemy fire as they cross the valley between the ridges.

War is ugly but tactics can be beautiful.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I've never been to Gettysburg, but would like to go someday. I doubt Trump really knows anything about Gettysburg, but too prideful to admit it.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

So, out of the whole range of Trump's comments about Gettysburg, you're upset over a single word that can have a variety of meanings?

🤨

Last edited:

Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Yes
So, out of the whole range of Trump's comments about Gettysburg, you're upset over a single word that can have a variety of meanings?

🤨
I think I'm safe to say that the bloodiest battle of the Civil War was not "beautiful".

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think I'm safe to say that the bloodiest battle of the Civil War was not "beautiful".

Did you have any thoughts about what people have said in other posts about the term referring to the strategies rather than the most unattractive loss of life?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

The blood and death itself was not beautiful, but the way the mind can work and figure out strategies/tactics is indeed beautiful.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well, others here noticed your mistake before I did.

While injury and death are not beautiful by one sense of the word, have you never heard of someone being described as "a beautiful person inside" or some other version of those sentiments? Bloody guts would not be considered artistic or "beautiful" if that's what being beautiful inside was meant to refer to...but that's not what is meant.

It is not uncommon for someone or something to be described as beautiful because of the purpose for which an act was done. Risking one's life so that others could live or be free, for instance? Self-sacrifice, high idealism, and all acts of love, duty, and so on are frequently described as noble, heroic, and, yes, beautiful.

Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Well, others here noticed your mistake before I did.

While injury and death are not beautiful by one sense of the word, have you never heard of someone being described as "a beautiful person inside" or some other version of those sentiments? Bloody guts would not be considered artistic or "beautiful" if that's what being beautiful inside was meant to refer to...but that's not what is meant.

It is not uncommon for someone or something to be described as beautiful because of the purpose for which an act was done. Risking one's life so that others could live or be free, for instance? Self-sacrifice, high idealism, and all acts of love, duty, and so on are frequently described as noble, heroic, and, yes, beautiful.
I didn't make a mistake. I voiced my opinion,

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My priceless, wise advise to Donald J. Trump*

1. Shut up. Just don't say anything on your own.

2. Throw away your cell phone. NEVER use social media or the internet for anything. Ever.

3. Hire GOOD, wise, thoughtful, informed, intelligent speech writers. People who know your views but can state things well and in ways very unlikely to be misunderstood. Have one on duty 24/7. When you speak, READ what they write for you. Verbatim. Without comment. Take no questions.

* A man I tend to really like until he opens his mouth or posts something.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I didn't make a mistake. I voiced my opinion,
Well, you invited readers to answer the question you put to us about Trump's choice of words and your own opinion about that.

Anyway, you then felt the need to answer back to my reply. As a result, I had to explain my own point in more detail. It's very close to the same one that everybody else who replied to you made in their own posts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom