Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Should Christians burn books?

There's been a lot of talk of book burning in the news. I'm sure most of us know what kinds of things these books contain. Do you think Christians should burn them?

Messy

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
They may, but I just threw em away. I threw all my cd's away and a roommate had borrowed one and refused to give it back, cause I would throw it away lol. It wasn't even that bad. Just not Gospel.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I didn't know that there'd been "a lot of talk about book burning in the news," so I went online and it seems that various media outlets have made a lot out of the doings of a single fundamentalist pastor and his book burning stunt.

As reported, he said “I ain’t gonna be suiciding myself no time soon” and "I ain’t messing with witches no more."

If he's been thinking of suicide or has been messing around with witches, I agree that he'd do well to change his ways, but that's about all there is to this story.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I didn't know that there'd been "a lot of talk about book burning in the news," so I went online and it seems that various media outlets have made a lot out of the doings of a single fundamentalist pastor and his book burning stunt.

As reported, he said “I ain’t gonna be suiciding myself no time soon” and "I ain’t messing with witches no more."

If he's been thinking of suicide or has been messing around with witches, I agree that he'd do well to change his ways, but that's about all there is to this story.

I think that it's more the liberal news outlets that are claiming that there is book burning. I don't know anyone in real life who has ever burned a book.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think that it's more the liberal news outlets that are claiming that there is book burning. I don't know anyone in real life who has ever burned a book.
That's the impression I got, too.

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Should Christians burn books?

There's been a lot of talk of book burning in the news. I'm sure most of us know what kinds of things these books contain. Do you think Christians should burn them?
No, but when our daughter was about 3 or so she and I were at the library where I let her pick out books in the children’s section. When we got home I took a closer look at the books she checked out and one was a Satanist book. So while I say no to book burning, I think that having any book anywhere to be read by anyone is wrong, too. I think books should have a rating system like movies.
I took the book back and was mad.

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don’t either.

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Years ago I was a somewhat 'new' Christian, yet one who was very much involved in the Church, and studied the Bible extensively, and had a Sunday school class of Junior high boys. A friend of mine there in the Church wanted to do some work on the church library. The library was small and he wanted to increase it and make it better.

He got the approval of the church leaders to go ahead with the work. The leaders showed him all the books of the library, and some still stored in boxes. They instructed him that he would have to do a lot of shelf building to present all the books they had. But that was no problem as he also was given a larger room in the Church in which to do just that. My friend was very efficient in the work he did.

He called me up one evening and asked me if I would come to the church as he wanted to show me something. He had been going through the books that had been stored. Most were books not having to do with anything about Jesus Christ. And some were immoral books, 'romantic novels'. They found their way into the library because they had been donated by some family on the basis of one who had just died. In other words, 'dedicated by the family of John Smith'. But they were terrible books. And so many dedicated by so many families over the years.

Neither my friend or me wanted these books in the new library. But we also knew these were dedicated by the church members who knew everyone in the church. We knew if we took it to the church that they would have the books placed in the library. My friend asked me, what should we do?

I told him we need to just get rid of them. Don't ask or say anything to anyone. We knew a place out in the country near a river and went there and camped out all night. Started a fire and burnt everyone one of them. If you have never burnt a book, it's not easy. It takes a long time. But we burnt them all. And never said a word.

My friend continued on with the work on the library and made a very good one filled with good Christian books. And no one ever asked or mentioned any 'missing books' in the old library.

Let every man answer to his own conscience, but I never lost any sleep over it. I personally think we were doing the Lord's work that night.

Lees

Messy

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Years ago I was a somewhat 'new' Christian, yet one who was very much involved in the Church, and studied the Bible extensively, and had a Sunday school class of Junior high boys. A friend of mine there in the Church wanted to do some work on the church library. The library was small and he wanted to increase it and make it better.

He got the approval of the church leaders to go ahead with the work. The leaders showed him all the books of the library, and some still stored in boxes. They instructed him that he would have to do a lot of shelf building to present all the books they had. But that was no problem as he also was given a larger room in the Church in which to do just that. My friend was very efficient in the work he did.

He called me up one evening and asked me if I would come to the church as he wanted to show me something. He had been going through the books that had been stored. Most were books not having to do with anything about Jesus Christ. And some were immoral books, 'romantic novels'. They found their way into the library because they had been donated by some family on the basis of one who had just died. In other words, 'dedicated by the family of John Smith'. But they were terrible books. And so many dedicated by so many families over the years.

Neither my friend or me wanted these books in the new library. But we also knew these were dedicated by the church members who knew everyone in the church. We knew if we took it to the church that they would have the books placed in the library. My friend asked me, what should we do?

I told him we need to just get rid of them. Don't ask or say anything to anyone. We knew a place out in the country near a river and went there and camped out all night. Started a fire and burnt everyone one of them. If you have never burnt a book, it's not easy. It takes a long time. But we burnt them all. And never said a word.

My friend continued on with the work on the library and made a very good one filled with good Christian books. And no one ever asked or mentioned any 'missing books' in the old library.

Let every man answer to his own conscience, but I never lost any sleep over it. I personally think we were doing the Lord's work that night.

Lees
Awesome! My dad had a kaballah book when he wasn't christian yet. My mom just threw it away. He didn't even notice. Her friend from church with an unsaved husband had some horrid statue in the house, an idol. She just ruined it with the vacuum cleaner and said: oops and threw the ruined thing out lol.

Top Bottom