Paul thanks God he didn't baptise more than he had.

shilohsfoal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Paul sees the error in baptising and thanks God he didn't baptse any more than he had.

1 Corinth 1:14-1
I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius,
so no one can say that you were baptized in my name.
Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t remember if I baptized anyone else.)
For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

shilohsfoal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Seeing Paul was specifically sent to the gentiles to preach the gospel but was not sent to baptise is significant.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Paul's statement was not against baptism. It was against the attitudes of the people who were being divisive because of baptism. Paul encouraged people to get baptized!

Philip met a eunuch and shared the good news with him. Then immediately this happened (in Acts): And the eunuch said, “See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?”

shilohsfoal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Paul's statement was not against baptism. It was against the attitudes of the people who were being divisive because of baptism. Paul encouraged people to get baptized!

Philip met a eunuch and shared the good news with him. Then immediately this happened (in Acts): And the eunuch said, “See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?”
You ignore what Paul said.He was doing something that Christ never told him to do.
Paul was never told to baptise anyone and made the mistake of doing it. He later repented himself of the act and thanked God he had not baptised more than he had.
After realizing his mistake, he stopped doing it.

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You ignore what Paul said.He was doing something that Christ never told him to do.
Paul was never told to baptise anyone and made the mistake of doing it. He later repented himself of the act and thanked God he had not baptised more than he had.
After realizing his mistake, he stopped doing it.

You misread Paul. You are against the baptism in the bible? I really think you need to have a talk with a pastor on this since hating baptism goes against what Jesus wanted for His people.

shilohsfoal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
You misread Paul. You are against the baptism in the bible? I really think you need to have a talk with a pastor on this since hating baptism goes against what Jesus wanted for His people.
Im not misreading Paul. He said"i was not sent to baptise".
There's no mistaking his words. Fact is he was not sent to baptise and he made the mistake of doing something he was not told to do. His actions caused much division and confusion and he thanked God he had not baptised anymore people than he had.

shilohsfoal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

Isn't it amazing. Paul, the apostle to the gentiles was not sent to baptise anyone.

shilohsfoal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
"For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel"

That right there says it all.

shilohsfoal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes

It's the small whispers that often go unheard.But they are the truth.And then there are those who laugh at Paul's confession.All their laughter still can't change his confession.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

It's the small whispers that often go unheard.But they are the truth.And then there are those who laugh at Paul's confession.All their laughter still can't change his confession.

Exactly what is it that makes you think that God does not select certain people for certain roles in His plans for mankind? He had a "chosen race" and we do not recoil from that, claiming that God cannot be doing such an unfair thing.

And a number of other notable figures in Scripture are known as having been specially chosen by God for some other purpose. Peter, for example, who was to deny Christ three times (!) was still the one directly selected by Jesus to build His church. That's what Jesus Himself said.

Do you think the other Apostles should have confronted Him and said "But we can give that sermon to the masses on Pentecost just as well as Peter can!?"

There is little that is more dangerous than misplaced REASONING ABILITIES apart from God's own word, the Bible. Look again at the verse you have misunderstood. Nothing in it says Paul didn't approve of baptisms; he simply affirmed that God had chosen him for another purpose. Of that, none of us should doubt. Paul, then called Saul, the Christian hunter, was knocked off his horse on the road to engaging in more persecutions and instructed that he had been chosen for one of the most critical roles in church history...but it wasn't the same role that God chose for Peter.

Last edited:

shilohsfoal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Exactly what is it that makes you think that God does not select certain people for certain roles in His plans for mankind? He had a "chosen race" and we do not recoil from that, claiming that God cannot be doing such an unfair thing.

And a number of other notable figures in Scripture are known as having been specially chosen by God for some other purpose. Peter, for example, who was to deny Christ three times (!) was still the one directly selected by Jesus to build His church. That's what Jesus Himself said.

Do you think the other Apostles should have confronted Him and said "But we can give that sermon to the masses on Pentecost just as well as Peter can!?"

There is little that is more dangerous than misplaced REASONING ABILITIES apart from God's own word, the Bible. Look again at the verse you have misunderstood. Nothing in it says Paul didn't approve of baptisms; he simply affirmed that God had chosen him for another purpose. Of that, none of us should doubt. Paul, then called Saul, the Christian hunter, was knocked off his horse on the road to engaging in more persecutions and instructed that he had been chosen for one of the most critical roles in church history...but it wasn't the same role that God chose for Peter.
You do err not knowing the scripture. It is not Peter that builds Christ's church. It is Christ that builds his church.

Mathew 26:18
And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

As for Paul, he told the truth. He had been doing something he was not sent to do. Peter was also.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
This thread should probably be moved out of Christian theology since the OP is against baptism. Moving this to World Religion & Speculative Theology.

Top Bottom