How has church changed for you since this pandemic started?

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Thanks, @jsimms435 ! God willing, the meds will knock this right out.

This last weekend, I was able to have Private Confession and Absolution with my Pastor and Holy Communion, as well. I volunteered to go up to my room and pray every day from 2:30pm to 3:00pm in the course of this. My elder calls me weekly to check up on me and as far as that acute bronchitis went, it took the Z Pac and Prednisolone to knock that out. I'm raring to go back to work tomorrow ( even if I have to wear a surgical mask to work).

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
This last weekend, I was able to have Private Confession and Absolution with my Pastor and Holy Communion, as well. I volunteered to go up to my room and pray every day from 2:30pm to 3:00pm in the course of this. My elder calls me weekly to check up on me and as far as that acute bronchitis went, it took the Z Pac and Prednisolone to knock that out. I'm raring to go back to work tomorrow ( even if I have to wear a surgical mask to work).
We haven't had a normal church service in a couple of weeks. My pastor shares something every day on facebook live and I think I have actually heard more from him now than when we were having normal services. I do miss seeing everyone though

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I worry about my little congregation and wonder how many have gotten sick? I know one guy had pneumonia before we had to be on lock down so his condition is fragile to begin with. Even if the lockdowns are lifted I will be afraid that they could be exposed once we start going back to church again since the virus won't disappear completely at first.

FredVB

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Why did they drop the reference to being Baptist? Maybe with people staying home and having to worship and study the Bible for themselves that puts more responsibility where it should be, on the individual

I did not think I should speak for them. But from a reference just one time to a church organization it is involved with I saw at the time that it split from the American Baptist organization over a biblical position about homosexuality being addressed, but it would be against the law now for it to be publicly expressed in church, and I have not heard anything about it from the church. But many other churches listed online of that church organization changed from having Baptist in their name. The issue of people losing salvation because they would not come to a church with Baptist in their name was stated then when there was a push from the leadership to change and drop Baptist from the name. But better to look into what they say on their site for it than just hear my testimony. They were First Baptist Church of Pomona, or as they were known finally Pomona First Baptist, they changed to Purpose Church. History
Watch Live

Last edited:

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
===================================================================================

I think I’ve mentioned before, somewhere, that I have found online Bible studies to be satisfying, and even stimulating. I attend studies on Skype and UberConference, and am aware of others on other platforms.

If one is willing to be exposed to thoughts that are outside their normal denominational or doctrinal box, such studies can be fascinatingly interesting. One is exposed to ideas and scripture passages that are different from the norm. One can choose to investigate the truth or otherwise of unaccustomed ideas, if one so wishes. And personal faith and belief can be strengthened as one is encouraged to dig deeper to test and prove current beliefs that may seem under challenge.

===================================================================================

As at other times and in other places, my intention is not to promote any particular study or studies.

But they are out there, and they can be found if one takes the time to look for them.

My hope is that my general recommendation of such studies will result in some people having a deeper understanding of God’s Holy Word, which in turn will lead to a growing realisation of what God’s purpose for them personally, for them as individuals, might be.

In my experience the return, i.e. the reward, far outweighs the initial effort.

Castle Church

Religious Affiliation
Methodist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My church that I was a member at (ELCA) continued its lurch to liberalism, to the point that was too much for me. At this point I have started my process to return to the Catholic Church. I now consider myself Catholic again (rather than a Lutheran lapsed Catholic), I am just in the long process of getting an annulment.

Personally I have continued my personal Bible studies, prayers, etc. I have just added a daily rosary to my devotions as well.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My church that I was a member at (ELCA) continued its lurch to liberalism, to the point that was too much for me. At this point I have started my process to return to the Catholic Church. I now consider myself Catholic again (rather than a Lutheran lapsed Catholic), I am just in the long process of getting an annulment.

Personally I have continued my personal Bible studies, prayers, etc. I have just added a daily rosary to my devotions as well.

Well you could have looked into LCMS or WELS. They're closer to the RC liturgy anyway :D

Castle Church

Religious Affiliation
Methodist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well you could have looked into LCMS or WELS. They're closer to the RC liturgy anyway :D
In the past I have, the LCMS church is actually the closest church to my home in general. But theologically neither really works for me. for a number of reasons. The LCMS church near me is also pretty low, liturgically, the WELS even more so. The ELCA church I was a member of had a Traditional service that was superficially very similar to a NO service at a general RCC church (I say "superficially" as I know theologically there are substantial differences).

I have actually been discerning returning to the RCC for a few years now, this was the push I needed. One of the issues before were the length and difficulty of the annulment process. That is still the case, but I can deal with the time it is going to take.

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Most of the churches including the one I go to is closed tomorrow due to the pandemic. I was wondering how do that change what you do to nurture your own spiritual growth? Are you watching sermons online or doing Bible studies on your own or something else? Is this a change for you or were you doing this already before this pandemic started?

My pastor has been posted on facebook live everyday lately, though I haven't been able to watch it most days. I have watched a few online sermons, but I usually do that anyway.
When in person services were postponed, I watched church online but now things are getting back to normal, more and more. In fact sometime this month wearer going to have coffee and donuts again. We also have fruit, tea and juice.

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
In the past I have, the LCMS church is actually the closest church to my home in general. But theologically neither really works for me. for a number of reasons. The LCMS church near me is also pretty low, liturgically, the WELS even more so. The ELCA church I was a member of had a Traditional service that was superficially very similar to a NO service at a general RCC church (I say "superficially" as I know theologically there are substantial differences).

I have actually been discerning returning to the RCC for a few years now, this was the push I needed. One of the issues before were the length and difficulty of the annulment process. That is still the case, but I can deal with the time it is going to take.
What do you mean the LCMS church near you is pretty low? I ask because I’ve only been to one other Lutheran church other than my own and it was like a Catholic Mass. The LCMS church I go to isn’t anything at all like a Mass. We do have Sacraments and things akin to a Lutheran church but the feel of it reminds me of a less hyper non denominational church than anything else.

Castle Church

Religious Affiliation
Methodist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What do you mean the LCMS church near you is pretty low? I ask because I’ve only been to one other Lutheran church other than my own and it was like a Catholic Mass. The LCMS church I go to isn’t anything at all like a Mass. We do have Sacraments and things akin to a Lutheran church but the feel of it reminds me of a less hyper non denominational church than anything else.
Basically as you describe, a non denominational church service that happens to have communion at one service (out of three) on Sunday. "Low" as in their liturgy, the "smells and bells". In general, a "High" view of the liturgy would have the Divine Service being very similar to a Catholic Mass. I personally prefer a higher liturgical service, non-denominational types services are not really my desired setting. They are fine for "worship", but they do not really feed me prayerfully.

Last edited:

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

Is lurch code for leaven?

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

The number of rosary beads are meant to remind a person of the yrs of wilderness where manna is found.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Fritz Kobus

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We had church on Zoom for a couple months then they opened up but with masks and social distancing. Ultimately I did not like how they handled the COVID thing and so have not returned. I was not a member and had attended regularly for one year almost to the day that everything shut down. I then started listening to sermons from an Amish/Mennonite church in PA, which was the first Anabaptist church I ever attended a service at (vacation in 2018). I continue with the Amish/Mennonite church in PA, wishing they had a congregation near me.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We had church on Zoom for a couple months then they opened up but with masks and social distancing. Ultimately I did not like how they handled the COVID thing and so have not returned. I was not a member and had attended regularly for one year almost to the day that everything shut down. I then started listening to sermons from an Amish/Mennonite church in PA, which was the first Anabaptist church I ever attended a service at (vacation in 2018). I continue with the Amish/Mennonite church in PA, wishing they had a congregation near me.

If they record sermons I'm guessing they are more Mennonite than Amish? There's probably a web site to help you find a congregation near you.

Top Bottom