Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Are the books of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy historically reliable?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Are the books of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy historically reliable?
The Bible has been called the most criticized book in world history, and yet it's true that supposed errors that have been claimed by one critic or another have turned out, time after time, not to hold up to closer scrutiny.

That said, we must also recognize that most of the criticisms are based upon an interpretation of some wording in Scripture that isn't used in exactly the same way today as it was in an earlier time. An example would be the idea of the whole planet being covered by water at the time of Noah when it makes just as much sense to see the idea as referring to the "world" as it was known by the people of the Bible at that time.

prism

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If Genesis in itself is inaccurate. we, as Christians might as well throw in the towel and give up the faith, for we are serving an inaccurate God (or depicted as such) and therefore can't be trusted.
Besides, if one part is inaccurate whose to say the other accounts (even the Gospel and Epistles) are not accurate?

bbas 64

Religious Affiliation
Calvinist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Good day, Jazzy

They are history books so yes they would be considered Historically accurate.

In Him,
Bill

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
While the Bible has history in it, it is not a history book. Yes, it is God's Word, but no God did not fax it down to us.

Castle Church

Religious Affiliation
Methodist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Broadly I believe they are historically accurate, especially in parts after Moses enters the picture. I don't believe the creation story is meant to be read in a literal sense, that interpretation is a fairly modern way to read that part of the Bible. That's not to say that I don't believe that God created ex nihilo, I do believe he created from nothing. I just don't believe in a literal six day creation and read most of that as creative poetry from God to explain the infiniteness of God creating something that we can hardly begin to fathom. Some parts are just not meant to be read literally, I see it as very important allegory. The scriptures are an inerrant collection of books divinely inspired. Although, the books need to be read as they are meant to be. History as history, allegory and metaphors for those, poetry for the beauty of the poetry, and prophesy for what is to come.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I agree.

No faxing, but the Holy Scriptures do tell us in several places that the writers of those books wrote as they were inspired (by God) to write.
Part of what I mean by that is that the writers who were inspired had their own cultural perspectives and ideas about how the world works. For example, I believe it was when Joshua was at war and fighting a battle that it said that the sun stood still in the sky for a full day Joshua 10:13-14. Now we know that it isn't the sun that was not moving, but it appears that it is the earth's rotation. But, the writers in that period did not know that.

believer07

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I believe that the Bible is BUT it takes some digging to find the right translation of the scriptures.

Tulipbee

Religious Affiliation
Calvinist
Yes
The 66-book Bible is entirely accurate because God is the author, and this accuracy is demonstrated through theomatics.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The 66-book Bible is entirely accurate because God is the author, and this accuracy is demonstrated through theomatics.

Numerology?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Tulipbee

Religious Affiliation
Calvinist
Yes
Numerology comes up when I google that guy.
Some individuals express it in that manner, but there is a distinction. In the past, instead of using numbers like 12345, they utilized letters. The concept of numbering can be traced back to a specific arrangement of letters believed to have been employed by God.

Attachments

• theomatics.jpg
    theomatics.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 2

Tulipbee

Religious Affiliation
Calvinist
Yes
Precision in its absolute form, reaching 100% perfection, is found exclusively in the 66-book Bible. Ivan Panin's insights delve deeper into this aspect. ivan panin - Google Search

Top Bottom