Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Thoughts, comments, concerns?

The biggest vibe I heard personally was Romney calling out Trump so many tuned in to watch.

Highlander

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
As many are saying, Romney would be president now if he had had the guts to confront Obama as nastily as he did to Trump. Shows why he is a loser & why Trump is a winner. All this did was make Trump even MORE popular.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
If he is popular as a candidate it says a lot about the state our union is in and just how fast it will fall

JPPT1974

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
There are a lot of people who would depart the USA if the Donald was picked!

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There are a lot of people who would depart the USA if the Donald was picked!

Didn't people say the same about Bush? How many of them actually followed through with their grand claims?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Either one will be a disaster and I dont see good things for this nation if they are elected

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Thoughts, comments, concerns?

The biggest vibe I heard personally was Romney calling out Trump so many tuned in to watch.

I wonder if the Romney and McCain efforts here might backfire.....

Largely due to the press, Trump has been crowned as the "OUTSIDER" "ANTI-ESTABLISHMENT." All the rest are being cast as "Pro-Establishment." People forget that Rubio was elected as the darling of the Tea Party and was seen as THE anti-establishment candidate until Trump entered the picture. Anyway, Romney and McCain bashing Trump just proves to many that Trump IS the "anti-establishment" guy..... if these two "establishment" figures hate Trump, Trump just might be their guy.

I doubt that ANYTHING Trump says matters. Trump himself said he could shoot a guy in cold blood and it wouldn't change his poll numbers a bit. I think he's right about that. NOTHING he says or does matters to his supporters..... it's his persona they support - the ANTI government, ANTI establishment, "mad-as-_____" persona that they support. Romney and McCain accusing him of being a wild man just adds to his appeal to many. Remember too, much of his support in the primaries has come from Democrats voting in the Republican primary (increasingly allowed) - either buying into Trumps "anti" persona (for the same reason they like Sander's "anti" persona) OR knowing that Trump would be the easiest one for Hilary to beat. In the states that only permit Republicans to vote, Cruz has won (and in one case, Rubio).

We'll see.

My half cent.

- Josiah

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I wonder if the Romney and McCain efforts here might backfire.....

Largely due to the press, Trump has been crowned as the "OUTSIDER" "ANTI-ESTABLISHMENT." All the rest are being cast as "Pro-Establishment." People forget that Rubio was elected as the darling of the Tea Party and was seen as THE anti-establishment candidate until Trump entered the picture. Anyway, Romney and McCain bashing Trump just proves to many that Trump IS the "anti-establishment" guy..... if these two "establishment" figures hate Trump, Trump just might be their guy.

I doubt that ANYTHING Trump says matters. Trump himself said he could shoot a guy in cold blood and it wouldn't change his poll numbers a bit. I think he's right about that. NOTHING he says or does matters to his supporters..... it's his persona they support - the ANTI government, ANTI establishment, "mad-as-_____" persona that they support. Romney and McCain accusing him of being a wild man just adds to his appeal to many. Remember too, much of his support in the primaries has come from Democrats voting in the Republican primary (increasingly allowed) - either buying into Trumps "anti" persona (for the same reason they like Sander's "anti" persona) OR knowing that Trump would be the easiest one for Hilary to beat. In the states that only permit Republicans to vote, Cruz has won (and in one case, Rubio).

We'll see.

My half cent.

- Josiah

It seems insane to me to allow one party's voters to help determine who their guy gets to face in the final election. Why would any Republican want Democrats voting on who their candidate is, and likewise why would any Democrat want Republicans influencing their choice of candidate?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
It seems insane to me to allow one party's voters to help determine who their guy gets to face in the final election. Why would any Republican want Democrats voting on who their candidate is, and likewise why would any Democrat want Republicans influencing their choice of candidate?

Even more pertinent: why would anybody want to vote who will be the candidate for the Republican (or Democratic) parties?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Most primaries are now "open." ANYONE can vote on ANY "side." This has been promoted as a "reform". At first, independents were given the ability to vote in ANY party (since before they had no voice in the primaries). But then ALL were given this ability. It's been promoted as "more democratic" and was seem as getting the Independents involved and was promoted as meaning less radical candidates would tend to become the nominees. I don't know if I agree with any of that, but that aside, it has been to a LOT of games. And it's largely destroyed the process, especially in states like California where the by far the Democratic party is the largest, followed by the independents, and with Republicans being a rather small minority: our primary is no longer ours. And hasn't been for some time.

When BOTH parties have very close primaries where a genuine choice is before the voters, people TEND to stay in their own party. BUT... when their own party's choice is wrapped up, people tend to vote on the other side - perhaps for who they think is the most acceptable candidate of the other party, sometimes for the one they think would be easiest to defeat. And in some states (like mine) where one party is MUCH larger than the other, even if a small percentage of Democrats choose to vote on the Republican side, it can sway the vote enough to change who wins - and that matters because this is a "winner takes all" states, the one who wins the primary gets ALL the delegates (no matter how close #2 was).

As the press has stressed, Trump is being helped by Democrats and Independents voting on the Republican side. This is usually all over by the time California votes, but often Democrats are a major influence on which Republican wins here. And there are more delegates in CA than any other state (by far).... and it's "winner-takes-all." IF Trump has not reaches the 1250 or so delegates needed by then, CA may well put him over the top. We'll see how this CRAZY election year pans out.

Highlander

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If he is popular as a candidate it says a lot about the state our union is in and just how fast it will fall

Actually, I think your comment would bear legitimate accuracy if it were applied to a once popular candidate -- and an absolute disaster as president -- in Barack Obama.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Are you ignoring the Republicans on purpose or is it just an oversight? Yes Obama has been rather ineffective and Trump wqould be even wiorse

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Are you ignoring the Republicans on purpose or is it just an oversight? Yes Obama has been rather ineffective and Trump would be even worse

Is it not true that the congress is far more to blame for ineffective government in the USA than any president?

visionary

Religious Affiliation
Messianic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
There is something a foot, when you have such a huge growing interest in politics.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Is it not true that the congress is far more to blame for ineffective government in the USA than any president?
Yes, I do blame them which is why I think Cruz wiould be a disaster as well, he was part of the government shutdown and that was rediculous and hurt this country in the end. Congress should be replaced, every one of them but of course they wont be.

Top Bottom