Ending Racism Against The Indigenous People Of Canada

Amos Ministries

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
No
Despite the attempts made to remedy the historical mistakes from Canada’s past, racism against Indigenous peoples (First Nations, Aboriginals, Metis) still exists. The bible teaches us how this systemic racism can be broken and the solution lies within each of us, individually.

James 2:1 & 9, 12-13 – “My dear brothers and sisters, how can you claim to have faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ if you favor some people over others?… 9 If you favor some people over others, you are committing a sin. You are guilty of breaking the law.”

The reason why systemic racism against Indigenous peoples still exists is because we haven’t changed our own perspective. We continue to adopt the same perspective as our forefathers. The term ‘forefathers’ includes but is not limited to explorers, pioneers; even ancestors such as our grandparents and parents. The 'name' of our forefathers lives on in preceding generations when we follow their ways, views, philosophies and teachings. Society has handed us down a set of racist beliefs and we are condoning them by believing them and in turn, living by them.

Matthew 15:3 & 6 – He replied to them, And why also do you transgress and violate the commandment of God for the sake of the rules handed down to you by your forefathers? 6 So for the sake of your tradition (the rules handed down by your forefathers), you have set aside the Word of God [depriving it of force and authority and making it of no effect].

The traditions and cultures handed down to us by our forefathers nullifies the word of God. This means their teachings are filled with iniquity and therefore, are contrary to the word of God. Thus nullifying the power of the word of God in our lives.

If we continue to subscribe to our forefathers, grandparents, countries and founders’ way of thinking, we will be guilty of the same judgment from God that awaits them. People today didn’t participate in the physical taking of this land. However, we are guilty of upholding their actions of racism and oppression when we continue to agree with what they did and the way they treated the Indigenous people. This in turn causes us to treat Indigenous peoples with the same contempt.

Racism and hate is taught. We have learned to hate from society, media, family, friends and even the Church. Our actions are based on our perspective. The pioneers and explorers of Canada had a negative perspective of Aboriginals as being inferior and savages. This perspective gave them the justification they needed to carry out horrendous crimes against the First Nations peoples. In the same way today, a dangerous perspective of Indigenous peoples as being ‘inferior’ and ‘burdens on society’, can also justify actions of racism and oppression against them.

Luke 11:48 – But in fact, you stand as witnesses who agree with what your ancestors did. They killed the prophets, and you join in their crime by building the monuments!

We also join in the crime of abusing and oppressing the First Nations peoples when we glorify the pioneers and explorers of Canada, who oppresses, tricked and swindled the First Nations peoples out of their land.

Galatians 5:20-21 – idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Acts 17:26 – From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands.

This means that God sets the boundaries of each tribe and ethnicities’ land, and no one should move that marker to extend their own boundaries.

Deuteronomy 19:14 – Do not move your neighbor’s boundary stone set up by your predecessors in the inheritance you receive in the land the Lord your God is giving you to possess.

The early settlers, pioneers and explorers falsely claimed this land as the new Israel in order to justify their horrendous acts. We must not believe the same distortions and manipulations of scripture as we will be punished just the same for doing so. The North American continent is not the nation of Israel. Only the nation of Israel was promised such land. But even the Israelites could not extend their borders.

The establishment of Israel was a specific promise from God. It is not a free for all for any nation to extend their borders. Paul understood this concept since he preached to different Gentile nations, and never preached to extend a nations’ borders.

Paul preached about God to the Gentiles but he did not try to conquer them and take their land. This is the example the pioneers and explorers should have followed. They should have come to new lands, preached the gospel and returned home, being content with their own land.

King Hezekiah is an excellent example of what all followers of Christ should be doing, when he tells the people of Judah in:

2 Chronicles 29:6-7 – Our parents were unfaithful; they did evil in the eyes of the Lord our God and forsook him. They turned their faces away from the Lord’s dwelling place and turned their backs on him. 7 They also shut the doors of the portico and put out the lamps. They did not burn incense or present any burnt offerings at the sanctuary to the God of Israel.”

King Hezekiah had no problem admitting the truth about how his parents, forefathers/ancestors acted wrongly. He refused to think the same way they did and by doing so, he did not commit their same wrong actions. He changed his way of thinking so as not to receive the same punishment.

Again, Hezekiah says in:

2 Chronicles 30:7 & 8 – Do not be like your parents and your fellow Israelites, who were unfaithful to the Lord, the God of their ancestors, so that he made them an object of horror, as you see. 8 Do not be stiff-necked, as your ancestors were; submit to the Lord. Come to his sanctuary, which he has consecrated forever. Serve the Lord your God, so that his fierce anger will turn away from you.”

We must undo the hate and indifference our society has taught us by changing our perspective on Indigenous peoples. Each person has to see Indigenous people as equal within themselves. Canada’s forefathers had an evil perspective on Indigenous people. Their intentions were covetous in nature and so they labelled the Indigenous people as inhuman, so that they could justify their oppression and take advantage of them.

First Nations communities are rife with poverty, depression, drug addiction, alcoholism, abuse and crime. If we were put into the same circumstances as the Indigenous people, we would be no different than they are today. Indigenous people are humans just like us. If any one of us experienced being forced off our land and into a desolate reservation, stripped of our culture and way of life and separated from our children or parents; if we were starved, abused, abandoned, oppressed and unemployed, our outcome would be the exact same. Their brokenness is a direct result and reflection of the circumstances that society has put them in.

The only way we can make sure that we are not included in the punishment that awaits those in the past who have oppressed the Indigenous people of Canada, is to admit that what was done to the Indigenous peoples was wrong and to change our perspective going forward. In God’s eyes, we will be equally as guilty as the founders and pioneers of Canada if we don’t change the way we think about our ancestors’ philosophies and in turn, the way we think about Indigenous people.

We must also change the way we look at the explorers and pioneers of Canada. Imagine if someone came into your home and took it over by force. Would you call that person a great explorer or pioneer? Would you build a road or statue in their name? Would you tell great stories about them to your children?

We shouldn’t be glorifying the actions of our forefathers. We hail them as great explorers and pioneers, but they were really thieves and murderers. They roamed the Earth to see what they could steal, plunder and conquer for selfish ambition and greed. It is no different than a thief roaming a neighborhood to see if there is anything of value to take/steal.

As our perspective on Indigenous peoples change, so will our actions. Once we have achieved a balanced perspective, our decisions and actions towards others will also become balanced.

The Jewish people were never taught to respect or glorify their forefathers and their history. They were meant to be realistic about their ancestors and their history and to recognize past mistakes and flaws so that future generations do not repeat it. They were not taught to only remember the good (which is what society teaches us; to respect and honor the dead. This concept is not a Biblical concept). Doing so will cause us to walk in our forefathers’ flawed ways instead of imitating Jesus’ ways.

Our hearts should reflect that of Jeremiah 3:25 “Let us lie down in our shame, and let our disgrace cover us. We have sinned against the LORD our God, both we and our ancestors; from our youth till this day we have not obeyed the LORD our God.”

Member4592

Despite the attempts made to remedy the historical mistakes from Canada’s past, racism against Indigenous peoples (First Nations, Aboriginals, Metis) still exists. The bible teaches us how this systemic racism can be broken and the solution lies within each of us, individually.

I agree that a lot of people would benefit if racism would end. Racism is a spiny subject to talk about because people offend easily.

But religion or no religion. Racism will never end. Why would it?

It's been around for as long you or I have existed. It won't end in the future either. There are groups out there that support racism whole heartedly. You have your Neo Nazi's, the KKK, White Identiy, Black Lives Matter, and the Black Separatists. Those people don't actually want to change. They do it because they enjoy it. Most of them know it's wrong.

The Nazi's knew what they did was wrong and they didn't care what religion the Jews practiced when they executed them. I don't know if you know who Frederick Kellner was. But he wrote a journal about the mass genocide and treatment of Jews.

What I'm really trying to say is you will have those that oppose racism and you have those that support racism and encourage it.

“This cruel, despicable, and sadistic treatment against the Jews that has lasted now several years — with its final goal of extermination — is the biggest stain on the honor of Germany,” wrote Kellner on December 15, 1941. “They will never be able to erase these crimes.”

Last edited:

Amos Ministries

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Married
No
I agree that a lot of people would benefit if racism would end. Racism is a spiny subject to talk about because people offend easily.

But religion or no religion. Racism will never end. Why would it?

It's been around for as long you or I have existed. It won't end in the future either. There are groups out there that support racism whole heartedly. You have your Neo Nazi's, the KKK, White Identiy, Black Lives Matter, and the Black Separatists. Those people don't actually want to change. They do it because they enjoy it. Most of them know it's wrong.

The Nazi's knew what they did was wrong and they didn't care what religion the Jews practiced when they executed them. I don't know if you know who Frederick Kellner was. But he wrote a journal about the mass genocide and treatment of Jews.

What I'm really trying to say is you will have those that oppose racism and you have those that support racism and encourage it.

Yes unfortunately I agree.

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
Evil will not end if good people do nothing ---- evil must be confronted head on always and everywhere --- we cannot sit back and shrug our shoulders

Bluezone777

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Racism has been with us since the dawn of time. It was here before you were born, it was here when you are born, it will be here when you die and will still be here long after you are gone. The only power you have is choosing whether you choose to perpetuate that evil or choose not to. You can't control anyone else as each person has to make that decision for themselves. You can show people the way to living a life free of prejudice but you can't make anyone walk in it.

As for evil itself, evil will remain as long as God permits it to exist, the moment he doesn't is when it ends once and for all and not a moment sooner or later.

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
Racism has been with us since the dawn of time. It was here before you were born, it was here when you are born, it will be here when you die and will still be here long after you are gone. The only power you have is choosing whether you choose to perpetuate that evil or choose not to. You can't control anyone else as each person has to make that decision for themselves. You can show people the way to living a life free of prejudice but you can't make anyone walk in it.

As for evil itself, evil will remain as long as God permits it to exist, the moment he doesn't is when it ends once and for all and not a moment sooner or later.

I am not at all sure about evil existing just because "God permits it". I believe evil exists because we permit it. If we shrug our shoulders and do nothing because "God permits it" then evil will continue unabated. Who is to blame God or us?

Bluezone777

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes
A lot of evil starts out with someone thinking themselves good who has to do something about the evil he or she thinks they are confronting. I think of a few examples( Salem witchcraft trials, McCarthyism, Japanese internment camps to name a small few of them). Another thing you missed is just what evil is defined as by any of our standards is very different from what God sees as evil. God sees all men as evil and only by the grace of God through faith in Jesus does he ever see any of us different. To those who have been justified by grace have been clothed in his righteousness but that's the thing. clothing is an outer covering that covers something not change what's underneath.

In the book of Job, the devil again and again asks permission from God to do harm to Job and God allows it to occur each time. The devil does what he does to prove to God t hat Job wasn't righteous but God used the devil to prove that Job was righteous which he couldn't do unless he allowed the devil to test him and show his righteousness was real. It doesn't make evil good but it does mean God has a real reason to allow evil to exist which he uses for his purposes which can and oftentimes can be unclear from our perspective for a long time and sometimes for our entire lifetime.

Member4592

I am not at all sure about evil existing just because "God permits it". I believe evil exists because we permit it. If we shrug our shoulders and do nothing because "God permits it" then evil will continue unabated. Who is to blame God or us?

From a Christian's point of view. You'd be asked to read Revelations, Numbers, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Genesis, Malachai, and the book of Enoch which most Churches scorn the book of Enoch because they say that it promotes heresy and misinformation.

Evil just means someone whose breaking God's rules and not playing well with others. I guess I'm going to have explain it to you like your 12 years old. That's funny coming from a non believer who quit believing in your deity when I was only 10 years old. I didn't believe in god at all. My parents forced religion on me. Didn't take other than the fact I walked away knowing more than I wanted to about it.

So here goes. Your deity supposedly made everything and that means he's probably stealing credit from 2,400 other deities. He made his eternal army of angels that he supposedly doesn't need. Then he gave humans free will upon their creation, and then he basically told humans "hey everyone, don't break my rules." Which comes in the form of your bible and of course Moses and the tablets that he got on a mountain.

Then he has his former champion Lucifer. Who he spoiled and gave everything too. So Lucifer got jealous because of what he was told about humans being the latest and greatest. Lucifer doesn't like the sound of that and he's so spoiled that he thinks he's stronger and better then his father. So Lucifer says "[staff edit], I'm gonna take over" and tries to mutiny. Because he doesn't want to be held second to humanity and thinks he's better fit to rule over everyone as a deity.

Lucifer is like a rebellious child who broke x amount of rules being [staff edit] at his maker and throwing a tantrum. Then God told him he had to move out after he trashed his house. So Lucifer being angry, steals like over half of God's army because they're not happy with their ruler and they boycot and leave him.

So Lucifer decides he's going to sabotage his father. He goes to the garden and tells Eve lies that he thinks is hilarious and convinces her to break the rules because breaking the rules is cool and acts like God won't do anything because he's a pushover, so she did and gave Adam an apple and tada! there you have it. Lucifer just taught humans to be evil. You might not see it like that but that's what the book is getting at. *wink* *wink* or how it hints that Lucifer encourages humans to kill each other.

Then when God comes over to the garden. He doesn't just get on Lucifer. He smites the entire snake species too. He has to brutally humiliate all of women and promote misogyny. Adam being a [staff edit] throws the blame on Eve which I think is where some Christian men think it's okay to beat their wives and treat them as lesser beings. God tells Adam "well tough [staff edit], I'm punishing you too!" right before he takes his belt off and spanks all 3 of them. He gave Adam a much lighter punishment then the snake and the woman.

So there you have it. But in my world without the religious views. It's people just being people. Apparently it's okay to shoot and murder your neighbor over in the Middle East because he broke Allah's rules.

You gotta love how black and white religion is and how delusional it makes people.

Last edited by a moderator:

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
From a Christian's point of view. You'd be asked to read Revelations, Numbers, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Genesis, Malachai, and the book of Enoch which most Churches scorn the book of Enoch because they say that it promotes heresy and misinformation.

Evil just means someone whose breaking God's rules and not playing well with others. I guess I'm going to have explain it to you like your 12 years old. That's funny coming from a non believer who quit believing in your deity when I was only 10 years old. I didn't believe in god at all. My parents forced religion on me. Didn't take other than the fact I walked away knowing more than I wanted to about it.

So here goes. Your deity supposedly made everything and that means he's probably stealing credit from 2,400 other deities. He made his eternal army of angels that he supposedly doesn't need. Then he gave humans free will upon their creation, and then he basically told humans "hey everyone, don't break my rules." Which comes in the form of your bible and of course Moses and the tablets that he got on a mountain.

Then he has his former champion Lucifer. Who he spoiled and gave everything too. So Lucifer got jealous because of what he was told about humans being the latest and greatest. Lucifer doesn't like the sound of that and he's so spoiled that he thinks he's stronger and better then his father. So Lucifer says "[staff edit], I'm gonna take over" and tries to mutiny.

He became like a rebellious child and broke x amount of rules being [staff edit] at his maker. Then God told him he had to move out. So Lucifer being angry goes to the garden and tells Eve lies that he thinks is hilarious and convinces her to break the rules because breaking the rules is cool and acts like God won't do anything because he's a pushover, so she did and gave Adam an apple and tada! there you have it. Lucifer just taught humans to be evil. You might not see it like that but that's what the book is getting at. *wink* *wink*

Then when God comes over to the garden. He doesn't just get on Lucifer. He smites the entire snake species too. He has to brutally humiliate all of women and promote misogyny. Adam being a [staff edit] throws the blame on Eve which I think is where some Christian men think it's okay to beat their wives and treat them as lesser beings. God tells Adam "[staff edit], I'm punishing you too!" right before he takes his belt off and spanks all 3 of them. He gave Adam a much lighter punishment then the snake and the woman.

So there you have it. But in my world without the religious views. It's people just being people. Apparently it's okay to shoot and murder your neighbor over in the Middle East because he broke Allah's rules.

I agree with most of what you say in your post above.

Isaiah 14:12 ”How you have fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations!” There is a very common perception that the 'Lucifer' in this verse refers to Satan, the supernatural personification of evil. I think that this misconception comes from two sources. The first is wishful thinking in the sense that it is nice to think that 'the Enemy' will get his come-uppance eventually. The second has to do with the old caution that scripture is to be read only 'in context'. This requires going back and reading all of Isaiah 13 and the earlier verses in Isaiah 14. When this is done we suddenly realize that scripture is not speaking of a supernatural Satan at all but of a Babylonian king with an immense ego. Read Isaiah 14:4 “You will take up this taunt against the king of Babylon:" What follows is a long rant against this oppressive king filled with numerous references to his human nature like Isaiah 14:16 “Those who see you stare at you, they ponder your fate: Is this the man who shook the earth and made kingdoms tremble, 17 the man who made the world a desert, who overthrew its cities and would not let his captives go home?" This passage is in no way a reference to Satan or the devil. That anyone would draw that conclusion is, to me, somewhat naive.
++++++
God didn't create Satan, man did. Satan (ha'shaitan) occurs by name in the Old Testament in the parable we call the Book of Job, and here it's clear that the angel Satan is not the Devil! The Devil is supposedly banished from the presence of God, yet in Job, Satan is allowed to talk with and to come and go from God's presence and on a mission for God yet! What's going on? Satan here is not "the Devil" but sort of God's prosecuting attorney, an unwelcome character but not an evil one. There is a very common perception that the 'Lucifer' in Isaiah 14:12ff refers to Satan, the supernatural personification of evil. This misconception comes from two sources. The first is wishful thinking in the sense that it is nice to think that 'the Enemy' will get his come-uppance eventually. The second has to do with the old caution that scripture is to be read only 'in context'. This requires going back and reading all of Isaiah 13 and the earlier verses in Isaiah 14. When this is done we suddenly realize that scripture is not speaking of a supernatural Satan at all but of a Babylonian king with an immense ego. Read Isaiah 14: " 4 you will take up this taunt against the king of Babylon:" What follows is a long rant against this oppressive king filled with numerous reference to his human nature like Isaiah 14: "16 Those who see you stare at you, they ponder your fate: Is this the man who shook the earth and made kingdoms tremble, 17 the man who made the world a desert, who overthrew its cities and would not let his captives go home?" This passage is in no way a reference to Satan or the devil. The Jews did not originally believe in devils but they picked up this concept during the Babylonian Exile from the Persians who followed Zoroastrianism. The Zoroastrians believed in both a god of good (Ahura-Mazda) and a god of evil (Ahrulman) engaged in a cosmic struggle. The Jews picked up and ran with this idea. It was easy to cast YHWH in the role of the God of good. They took also the angel ha'shaitan (Satan) in the book of Job and recast that character as Satan the near divine force of evil. Up to that time, their concept of God was of a being responsible for everything, both good and evil. Isaiah 45:”7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.” is just one quote that demonstrates this. The Jews never connected Satan to the serpent in the Garden of Eden. It was the second-century Christian martyr, Justin of Samaria, who was first to argue that Satan appeared as a serpent to tempt Adam and Eve to disobey God. It was also the third-century Christian philosopher Origen of Alexandria who was the first to suggest that Lucifer actually was Satan or the devil. To most modern Christians, the concept of the Devil is a conflation of the serpent of Genesis, the Lucifer of Isaiah and the Satan of Job. This conflation is further supplemented by lurid medieval fiction like Dante's "Inferno".

Member4592

I agree with most of what you say in your post above.

Isaiah 14:12 ”How you have fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations!” There is a very common perception that the 'Lucifer' in this verse refers to Satan, the supernatural personification of evil. I think that this misconception comes from two sources. The first is wishful thinking in the sense that it is nice to think that 'the Enemy' will get his come-uppance eventually. The second has to do with the old caution that scripture is to be read only 'in context'. This requires going back and reading all of Isaiah 13 and the earlier verses in Isaiah 14. When this is done we suddenly realize that scripture is not speaking of a supernatural Satan at all but of a Babylonian king with an immense ego. Read Isaiah 14:4 “You will take up this taunt against the king of Babylon:" What follows is a long rant against this oppressive king filled with numerous references to his human nature like Isaiah 14:16 “Those who see you stare at you, they ponder your fate: Is this the man who shook the earth and made kingdoms tremble, 17 the man who made the world a desert, who overthrew its cities and would not let his captives go home?" This passage is in no way a reference to Satan or the devil. That anyone would draw that conclusion is, to me, somewhat naive.
++++++
God didn't create Satan, man did. Satan (ha'shaitan) occurs by name in the Old Testament in the parable we call the Book of Job, and here it's clear that the angel Satan is not the Devil! The Devil is supposedly banished from the presence of God, yet in Job, Satan is allowed to talk with and to come and go from God's presence and on a mission for God yet! What's going on? Satan here is not "the Devil" but sort of God's prosecuting attorney, an unwelcome character but not an evil one. There is a very common perception that the 'Lucifer' in Isaiah 14:12ff refers to Satan, the supernatural personification of evil. This misconception comes from two sources. The first is wishful thinking in the sense that it is nice to think that 'the Enemy' will get his come-uppance eventually. The second has to do with the old caution that scripture is to be read only 'in context'. This requires going back and reading all of Isaiah 13 and the earlier verses in Isaiah 14. When this is done we suddenly realize that scripture is not speaking of a supernatural Satan at all but of a Babylonian king with an immense ego. Read Isaiah 14: " 4 you will take up this taunt against the king of Babylon:" What follows is a long rant against this oppressive king filled with numerous reference to his human nature like Isaiah 14: "16 Those who see you stare at you, they ponder your fate: Is this the man who shook the earth and made kingdoms tremble, 17 the man who made the world a desert, who overthrew its cities and would not let his captives go home?" This passage is in no way a reference to Satan or the devil. The Jews did not originally believe in devils but they picked up this concept during the Babylonian Exile from the Persians who followed Zoroastrianism. The Zoroastrians believed in both a god of good (Ahura-Mazda) and a god of evil (Ahrulman) engaged in a cosmic struggle. The Jews picked up and ran with this idea. It was easy to cast YHWH in the role of the God of good. They took also the angel ha'shaitan (Satan) in the book of Job and recast that character as Satan the near divine force of evil. Up to that time, their concept of God was of a being responsible for everything, both good and evil. Isaiah 45:”7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.” is just one quote that demonstrates this. The Jews never connected Satan to the serpent in the Garden of Eden. It was the second-century Christian martyr, Justin of Samaria, who was first to argue that Satan appeared as a serpent to tempt Adam and Eve to disobey God. It was also the third-century Christian philosopher Origen of Alexandria who was the first to suggest that Lucifer actually was Satan or the devil. To most modern Christians, the concept of the Devil is a conflation of the serpent of Genesis, the Lucifer of Isaiah and the Satan of Job. This conflation is further supplemented by lurid medieval fiction like Dante's "Inferno".

Going back to the subject at hand about why people are evil. There's a lot of (no profanity) people out there and they're all from different religions or they're like me and don't have a religion or find it very relevant. Good and evil is subjective and can be argued hundreds of different ways. I'm not going to tell you that you're answer is wrong or your beliefs. You have an answer. I have an answer. Lammchen has an answer. Some of the other members have an answer. All of these answers can be argued to the full extent of this thread. I think we all understand what right and wrong is. I don't think we can get rid of people who are horrible human beings. We'd have to euthanize a lot of bad people and enforce capital punishment big time like China does. Guess what? A lot of people think Capital Punishment is evil. But some religions like Christianity and Islam seem to support it.

Top Bottom