Do you think sinning is unavoidable?

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
No
“Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.” 1 John 3:9 (KJV 1900)

“This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.” Galatians 5:16 (KJV 1900)

“She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.” John 8:11 (KJV 1900)

etc.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If we could stop sinning, we wouldn't need a Savior.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
If we could stop sinning, we wouldn't need a Savior.
John says that if you are saved, you won't sin. Paul also says to the saved, walk in the Spirit and you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
John says that if you are saved, you won't sin. Paul also says to the saved, walk in the Spirit and you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

Well, here's the thing, Christians are covered by Christ (in baptism we are clothed in Him), so when God sees us, He sees His Son with whom He is well pleased. That's why we are at the same time saint and sinner.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
Well, here's the thing, Christians are covered by Christ (in baptism we are clothed in Him), so when God sees us, He sees His Son with whom He is well pleased. That's why we are at the same time saint and sinner.
Jesus told the adulterous woman to go and sin no more.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Jesus told the adulterous woman to go and sin no more.

Yes, because God's Law demands that we not sin. But we can't achieve that. It's good for our neighbors when we don't, isn't it?

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
Yes, because God's Law demands that we not sin. But we can't achieve that. It's good for our neighbors when we don't, isn't it?
“Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;” 1 Timothy 1:9–10 (KJV 1900)

Would I need to be armed and dangerous to attend your church?

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
What most fail to grasp is that when born again we receive our old spirit raised from the dead in Adam. And since Pentecost, we also receive the Holy Spirit joined to that new human spirit. But our flesh remains the same. So an ongoing battle develops that lasts a lifetime. Paul says:

“For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.” Galatians 5:17 (KJV 1900)

One way to know you are saved is through the experience of this unending battle.

But, the Holy Spirit provides us with a life free from outward sin. As the battle rages, “This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.” Galatians 5:16 (KJV 1900)

And John says: “Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.” 1 John 3:9 (KJV 1900)

So, don't let your church or teachers deceive you. Most of your sins will take place in the thought realm where you can confess them and repent from those thoughts.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If we say we have no sin we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
Here's exactly where you miss it. Paul moaned: “O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?” Romans 7:24 (KJV 1900). If you do not have sin present 24/7 you do not have the Holy Spirit. But does Paul give in and sin? No, but those who do are probably lost and do not know it,

Last edited:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
John says that if you are saved, you won't sin.
The meaning there concerns deliberate sinful acts. Everyone sins, but a true believer can resolve to avoid deliberate, willful sinning such as cheating, shoplifting, adultery, slanderous speech, and hatred. It is possible to resist the temptation to commit all of those offenses.

Last edited:

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
The meaning there concerns deliberate sin. All of us sin, but a true believer can resolve to avoid deliberate sinning such, for instance, as concerns cheating, shoplifting, adultery, or hatred. All of those offenses can be avoided.
Paul takes away your excuse for sinning. He says walk in the Spirit and you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. This includes sinful thoughts and imaginations. “Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;” (2 Corinthians 10:5) (KJV 1900)

Last edited:

Lucian Hodoboc

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
“She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.” John 8:11 (KJV 1900)

etc.
I know that she was probably overwhelmed by her emotions, given the circumstances, but I really wish the woman who was rescued from the stoning (or the paralytic in John 5:14-15) had replied to Jesus something along the lines of, "but I am unable to stop sinning, Lord". See, it's stuff like this that would have really been useful in the Bible.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
I know that she was probably overwhelmed by her emotions, given the circumstances, but I really wish the woman who was rescued from the stoning (or the paralytic in John 5:14-15) had replied to Jesus something along the lines of, "but I am unable to stop sinning, Lord". See, it's stuff like this that would have really been useful in the Bible.
Paul and John teach the avoidance of sin. Jesus did too but not as noticeably. Can you sin and be saved? “Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:” Hebrews 12:14 (KJV 1900)

Sin-tolerant churches are only sending people to hell.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Paul and John teach the avoidance of sin. Jesus did too but not as noticeably. Can you sin and be saved? “Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:” Hebrews 12:14 (KJV 1900)

Sin-tolerant churches are only sending people to hell.

I don't know of any church that encourages sin. I know that there are churches that preach that Jesus's death forgives sin. Maybe that's something that needs studying but your church?

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
I don't know of any church that encourages sin. I know that there are churches that preach that Jesus's death forgives sin. Maybe that's something that needs studying but your church?
They expect people to sin as a lifestyle. John says the Born Again cannot sin.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
They expect people to sin as a lifestyle. John says the Born Again cannot sin.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
Paul had so much sin he moaned "o wretched man that I am". I battle sin 24/7 but I don't sin. I'm merely tempted.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Paul had so much sin he moaned "o wretched man that I am". I battle sin 24/7 but I don't sin. I'm merely tempted.

Paul preached the truth, that we are sinful human beings and also that we are the saints because of Christ crucified. If you're preaching that you're sinless then you deceive yourself and the truth is not in you.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
Paul preached the truth, that we are sinful human beings and also that we are the saints because of Christ crucified. If you're preaching that you're sinless then you deceive yourself and the truth is not in you.
Try to understand. We die because we are full of sin. But Jesus tells us to pray that God would lead us not into temptation. Why? Because as John says, the born-again cannot sin. Even though it kills us and we fight against sinning 24/7.

“My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:” 1 John 2:1 (KJV 1900)

If, not when.

Top Bottom