Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
What do you think about Cancel Culture? Do you agree with the premise or are you rolling your eyes at the idea?

Origen

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I guess shutting someone down so they don't even get to speak is a whole lot easier than coming up with a coherent argument for why you think they are wrong.

hedrick

Religious Affiliation
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
No. But it's really on both sides. All it takes is one ill-considered statement to bring someone down. If you want an example of it on the right, look at what happens to people who supported the fact that the recent election was accurate. Contradict the Leader once and you're dead.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I don't like the idea of ruining someone's life over 1 or even a few statements, or bullying because they hold a minority view. This is a collectivist nightmare that makes automatons scared of social disapproval simply for exercising their freedom of expression. It also seems a harsh step that doesn't allow for forgiveness.

I do agree with it for consistently bad, unrepentant people who do a lot of harm to society. Examples would be George Soros, the decision makes at the WEF (world economic forum), Bill Gates, Rockefeller foundation people and others.

In general, I'm not a fan of Corporations or the Corporate Model in general, so I try to avoid where I can and opt for the small business owner. So in a sense I try to practice "counter culture" in this way.

Last edited:

psalms 91

Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No this is just totally wrong

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The worst part of it is the endless digging through history.

In the here and now we need to balance freedom of expression with consequences of expression. If I wanted to sign up as a member of the KKK I must be free to do so, but I wouldn't get to be surprised if my black friends decided they didn't want to be my friends any more.

The way someone gets canceled today because of something they said 10, 20, 30 years ago is increasingly terrifying although the good thing about it is that those pushing this kind of silliness are creating a monster that will hopefully devour them first. Perhaps in 10 years time anyone who thought it was a good idea to let a teenage boy say he was a girl in order to shower among naked teenage girls will get themselves canceled.

mailmandan

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If banning people from social media for making political statements that liberals are offended by then I disagree with it.

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
===============================================================================

Some countries are considered to be undemocratic because political opponents are silenced, one way or another.

Some countries are considered to be undemocratic because fair and open recounts of contested seats are denied.

Australia came close back in the seventies when the Prime Minister at the time refused to call the federal election that was due according to the constitution. Luckily, that attempt to retain power illegally, was thwarted. Interestingly, that Prime Minister is still considered to be a hero by the political party he belonged to.

I have the impression that true democracy is indeed a truly fragile thing.

Top Bottom