Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
By request of most honorable Tango and Queen Lammchen, may the world benefit from my humble beer brewing tips (the small world that is this message board, that is):

Beer Brewing Tips by Stravinsk

Where to brew. Points to consider:​

1) Pick a place that is either well ventilated (near a window, for instance) or out of normal living areas. Initial fermentation is not a pleasant smell, so it is best to set up your brewing spot where you don't have to smell it.

2) When your brew is ready to be bottled and stored, after you bottle you will need to carry bottles to your storage place. If you are making a lot of beer, to save you time and effort, it is best to brew where you will be storing your beer. To this end, a garage or shed is ideal, provided that there is a hose nearby (if you are going to be using tap water)

*Note - brewing calls for hot water. Adding cold water then yeast are among the last steps before fermentation, then bottling a week or two later. If you are brewing in a garage or shed, you can complete the steps calling for hot water in your kitchen first, then cover the fermenter and move it to your shed or garage for the cold water addition. Otherwise, depending on your fermenter size it will be quite heavy.

Preparing for your first brew:​

If you go to a brew shop and tell a salesman you want to brew beer, he or she will set you up with everything they think you need, but before you do this, prepare first and save some money both in the short and long term:

A) Prior to buying a brew kit - start saving your glass bottles. Preferably buy larger bottles that have screw top caps, and save the caps as well. This not only saves you $$ in buying extra bottles, but caps as well. The bigger bottles are preferable, because you will have less of them to cap when you bottle your brew.

*Note - bottles need to be dark glass.

a1) Important - make sure to rinse your bottles with very hot water within one day of use. Rinse out. Fill halfway or all the way with hot water. Let stand a few minutes, then pour out. Then you use the cap that came with the bottle to seal it for future use.

What you won't need from the brew shop:

1) Bottles and caps - just save your larger beer bottles that have a screw top cap, and the caps as well. Some beer makers and proprietors will tell you the self screw on caps "don't make a proper seal" - but this is bullstuff. Provided you screw them on right and no liquid spills from the bottle when you turn it upside down - you have a proper seal. I've had brew under this seal for more than a year and it was still sealed and carbonated when I opened it.

2) A capping device - reusing screw top caps eliminates the need for this device

3) Sodium metabisulfite. This is an anti bacterial agent that is marketed to disinfect your bottles and fermenter before you start your brew. In my experience - it isn't needed. What *is* needed is that you use very hot water and a soft sponge to clean your fermenter. It needs to be cleaned very well - no residue from previous brews. The reason for the soft sponge is that you do not scrape the inside of your fermenter, because doing this creates places for bacteria to hide. Your spoon (used to stir brew) also needs to be cleaned very well.

Don't do half measures on cleaning. Clean your fermenter and spoon well - otherwise your beer can get infected and it will be wasted and have to be poured out.

4) Finnings. These are added to clear your brew after initial fermentation. You do not need them, provided you are patient. In Spring, Summer and Autumn, brewing usually takes about a week. Waiting an additional week will see a significant clearing of your brew - no need to add finnings.

What you will need from the brew shop:

1) A fermenter. The size is your choice - just remember that the bigger the size the heavier it is to move when it's full of brew.

2) A spoon with a long handle (usually comes with fermenter)

3) An airlock (usually comes with fermenter)

4) A straight tube with a release device on the end that fits onto the outlet of your fermenter. This lets you fill your bottles from the bottom up, and this is important because after fermentation you don't want your beer to become mixed with too much air. (This device usually comes with fermenter)

5) Your choice of brew kit. These are cans of barley mixed with hops. Yeast packets are included in these kits. They are typically ale yeasts, though (even if the brand of kit is lager) - so if you are going to brew a lager, ask for saflager yeast.

*Note - do not use bread yeast - use the yeast that came with the kit or saflager for lagers or safale for ales.

6) Extra Fermentable sugars. What you will find in brew shops is usually either Dextrose or Dried Malt. Dextrose is cheaper, but Malt is preferred for brewing good quality beers. A mixture of the two can usually produce a decent result, though.

How much? Usually it is 1kg of extra fermentable sugars per 1 can of malted barley and hops.

*Note - DO NOT use white sugar or raw sugar. These contain sucrose and your beer will end up tasting like a cider. Unless that's what you want - do not use them. White sugar is used for priming bottles ONLY (for carbonation) - only use it for this purpose, do not use it as a substitute for Dextrose and/or Malt as your main source of extra fermentable sugars.

7) Measure for priming bottles with sugar for secondary fermentation (for carbonation of your beer). Make sure you get the appropriate measure for your bottle size - as you only want to carbonate it - adding too much can make your bottles explode. This small amount of sugar added to bottles is the only time it is permissible (and advisable) to use white sugar.

8) A temperature gauge. These usually come with the fermenter and looks like a black piece of sticky tape attached to the side of the fermenter with numbers on it. They are important not only to maintain a temp range for your brew but also when to add yeast, as adding when wort (unfermented brew) is too hot will kill yeast, and adding when too cold will not see any fermentation.

Brewing tips:​

Follow the directions on the can, they are simple.

When pitching yeast (make sure wort is at appropriate temp), stir in slowly with long handled spoon till it is dissolved in water - then use a pumping action in your stirring. This is the point where you want to pump your wort full of air.

---End of Part 1---​

Last edited:

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Part 2​

For Special Brews:​

Sometimes brew recipes call for extra hops and other ingredients, to be cooked separately. If you choose to do this - do NOT use iron pots for cooking up Dextrose, Malt or any other simple sugars the recipe calls for. They will attack the iron and it will leach into your brew - giving it a metallic taste. Use Stainless Steel pots for this purpose. An iron pot is fine for cooking non fermentable ingredients, however.

Cleaning Tips:​

When I finish bottling a brew, the first thing I will do is take my fermenter and fill it partway with super hot water, swirl it around and pour out. Around the top of where the wort was, there will be a line of dried beer around the inside of the fermenter. If you fill the fermenter a quarter way with hot water, cover it and leave it sit for 20-30 mintues - cleaning with soft sponge will be very easy.

Bottling Tips:​

When filling bottles, I fill 2 cases worth first, then apply caps. To save my hands and fingers from unnecessary pain and injury - use of a gripping type cloth is advisable, so pressure can be applied to closing the cap without hurting your hands.

To check seal - simply turn bottle upside down once. If there is no leak, you have a seal. This also gently mixes in the sugar added for carbonation.

Important note - only bottle when initial fermentation has finished. In fair or hot weather, this is normally a week. Waiting an additional week will see significant clearing of your brew. However, if you bottle prematurely, there is a very high risk of your bottles exploding.

Bottling tips 2:​

Once you have been bottling a while it will quickly become apparent that you can speed up the process by using two hands. Bottling only takes one hand - so getting an extra fermenter means you can do 2 bottles at one time.

Extra notes:​

Generally speaking, brewing at slightly lower temperatures will improve the taste of your beer. For lagers and Pilsners especially - use saflager yeast - it greatly improves the taste for these beers and is specially formulated to brew beers at lower temperatures.

Saving yeast: For special yeasts, like saflager - you can reuse what is at the bottom of the fermenter. Simply drain all the residue beer at the bottom, fill a jar half way with clean water and pour into fermenter. Pour back into your jar and let it sit in the fridge. After a short time, you will see a separation of water and yeast. Pour off water, add more water and repeat. Then you can save the liquid yeast in your fridge for the next use.

For fun:​

So you've experimented with different yeasts but wonder how they come about? Here's something I learned on cultivating yeast that can be used to make bread, and even to ferment beer - the yeast will impart a different taste to your beer though - so try it using a cheap kit:

Take a small handful raisins and add to a jar halfway filled with water. Tighten lid on jar. Twice a day, morning and evening, gently swirl jar for a few seconds, then open jar only briefly and reseal. In around 7 days the raisins will have floated to the top of the jar, and when it is opened, there will be a pressure release.

Strain the raisins out and keep the liquid. Congratulations, you've just cultivated liquid yeast that can be used for brewing or baking.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Great! And thanks! But it might be easier to pick up a six-pack of Harp or even XX?

Southern California has suddenly become the micro-brew, craft brew capitol of the world. There are at least 100 of them within a hour drive of where I live - ALL THE THING now. So Cal has become to beer as Nor Cal is to wine (although we have LOTS of wineries down here, too!). I've been to LOTS of tastings and tours, met a LOT of brewers. It is fun.... It's VERY sociable. But... well.... I hate to be with the girls (lol) but I've become one who immediately asks for a nice light lager ("refreshing" is the word I use, makes me sound less like a girl). Some are a lot better than others, however.

Now.... I MIGHT be willing to learn how to make a nice Scotch! But I'd be unable to WAIT for 12 - 15 years to drink the stuff!

Stay thirsty, my friend.

- Josiah

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Now.... I MIGHT be willing to learn how to make a nice Scotch! But I'd be unable to WAIT for 12 - 15 years to drink the stuff!

Easy solution to that. Make it 15 years ago. Problem solved :p

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Great! And thanks! But it might be easier to pick up a six-pack of Harp or even XX?

Southern California has suddenly become the micro-brew, craft brew capitol of the world. There are at least 100 of them within a hour drive of where I live - ALL THE THING now. So Cal has become to beer as Nor Cal is to wine (although we have LOTS of wineries down here, too!). I've been to LOTS of tastings and tours, met a LOT of brewers. It is fun.... It's VERY sociable. But... well.... I hate to be with the girls (lol) but I've become one who immediately asks for a nice light lager ("refreshing" is the word I use, makes me sound less like a girl). Some are a lot better than others, however.

Stay thirsty, my friend.

- Josiah

Your welcome.

No, not easier to buy commercial :). In order to buy commercial brew I need to earn significantly more money than making it myself. And with a few changes I've made recently, my system is very very simple. I'm not currently earning almost $60 an hour at my job, but that is the cost savings I get per hour of making my own brew (materials included, of course) over buying ready made.

As for scotch, you may look into buying a still. It's on my list of things to buy, but I don't drink spirits except on special occasions, and usually not at all. I plan to put it to use for other reasons. I have a friend that does drink spirits though, he makes his own. It's a simple process similar to brewing beer, with the added step of extracting pure ethanol through a still, and when the spirit is made, it's watered down then flavored with flavors one can also get from a brew shop.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Great thread! Thanks for taking the time to post all the info.

Speaking of a still, is it legal in Australia?

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Great thread! Thanks for taking the time to post all the info.

Speaking of a still, is it legal in Australia?

No worries.

If my info is correct, it's legal for 5Litres or under(ethanol), or for making distilled water or essential oils.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Having finished off bottling 4 cases a little over a week ago and cracking one open yesterday to test - I feel I forgot to include an important tip:

In home brewing beer - patience is a virtue. Typically, after bottling correctly with the appropriate amount of sugar for secondary fermentation - your beer will be carbonated and ready to drink in about a week or so (weather plays a part in this - in colder temps, it will take somewhat longer, and will depend on the type of yeast used).

That being said - if you wait longer you will be rewarded with better tasting home brew. Naturally home brewed beers age in the bottle, and they taste better if you wait a while. I discovered the truth of this when I tried a kit I had never used before and cracked open a bottle after a week of secondary fermentation. I was going to showcase it to a friend - but after tasting it decided I couldn't do that with this beer - it wasn't "off" - but the taste was not good. A very "green" beer is one that has only been in the bottle a week, and this particular kit beer was just not drinkable from a taste point of view.

I left it for another week. Taste test=better, but still not very good.

After 2 more weeks. Better still - but just an ok tasting beer.

After more than a month in the bottle = Nothing to boast about, however, after this time the beer taste was significantly improved and was suitable to share with friends.

So in home brewing, after bottling - wait - with all your home brews - if everything is done right and you wait - you will be rewarded with a better tasting brew.

Top Bottom