Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
... and for many that life needs to be somewhere other than America, by the sounds of things :)

Of the earth's 7.5 billion people around 7.2 billion have a life in a place other than the USA. Around 600 million of them in the Americas.

:smirk:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Of the earth's 7.5 billion people around 7.2 billion have a life in a place other than the USA. Around 600 million of them in the Americas.

Congratulations to them. A lot of them still desire to come to where I live because it's a better America than theirs.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Yep, and despite the logic of the argument that if someone really doesn't like it they are free to leave, still people come.

Of course if people don't like the name of something they are free to come up with their own term for it, they might just find nobody else knows what they are talking about. At present it seems only the silly fringe on the hard left of the political spectrum is so worried about naming things that they attempt to reform language in a way that suits them. If only they spent the same effort on improving things as they do on renaming things they might actually solve some problems.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Sort of like Australia eh? Less time worrying about someone elses country and more spent on fixing your own maybe?

FredVB

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
So some of you are offended. Well boohoo. I don't see why I should care if others are offended, if I do offend others it is not from me seeking to offend others. But I am sure no one has rights to not be offended, and people use their easily being offended to push their agenda with others. But what about the children? It's a red herring to agitate others, while there is no significant issue involving children anyway.

Seriously, the country I am in is the United States of America, I recognize that and refer to it more often that way, and sometimes shorten to the United States, or the U.S.A. But there are really two continents, and it is not just a view peculiar to a certain population, a look at the maps of the relevant area shows their are two continents, North America and South America. Together they do not make up an area called America, but they do get called the Americas. So there are countries in the Americas, it is a possibility for any of them to refer to themselves as America. I think their own names are valued enough that they will keep those names, still. This country where I am really hasn't had another name in wide use other than the United States, and America, while certainly it can happen there would be another country among the countries of the Americas using the name America, probably in combination with more terms unique for it, like there could be some other country that would be United States of that county.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
So some of you are offended. Well boohoo. I don't see why I should care if others are offended, if I do offend others it is not from me seeking to offend others. But I am sure no one has rights to not be offended, and people use their easily being offended to push their agenda with others. But what about the children? It's a red herring to agitate others, while there is no significant issue involving children anyway.

Seriously, the country I am in is the United States of America, I recognize that and refer to it more often that way, and sometimes shorten to the United States, or the U.S.A. But there are really two continents, and it is not just a view peculiar to a certain population, a look at the maps of the relevant area shows their are two continents, North America and South America. Together they do not make up an area called America, but they do get called the Americas. So there are countries in the Americas, it is a possibility for any of them to refer to themselves as America. I think their own names are valued enough that they will keep those names, still. This country where I am really hasn't had another name in wide use other than the United States, and America, while certainly it can happen there would be another country among the countries of the Americas using the name America, probably in combination with more terms unique for it, like there could be some other country that would be United States of that county.
Instead of American we should call ourselves Americasians I guess lol
Seriously what does one "n" do for these politically correct cry babies? (As in "Americas" opposed to "American").

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Our culture has imposed a SILLY, ABSURD and unworkable rule....

If someone chooses to feel offended by something, it is the fault of the one who is identified as causing it. This is the basis of political correctness (a foundational dogma of liberalism). I'm a tall, White, blonde/blue guy. I walk into a room and someone is offended by White, blonde/blue men. So it's MY fault.... I caused it.... BUT this only works if LIBERALS are offended! If a Black woman entered the room and someone feels offended, then it's the "hate" and not "offense." Bob walks into a room with a "Make America Great Again" ballcap on - and someone is offended, so Bob is bad. Jim walks into the same room with a "Black lives matter" T-shirt on and someone is offended, this proves that person hates. Liberalism is absurd. And hypocritical. ALL this is nothing more than a very useful tool of Liberals to STOP all discussion and examination of issues by turning everything PERSONAL and EMOTIONAL. VIEWS are irrelevant, Liberals choosing to FEEL bad is what matters, that cannot be tolerated (demand those who are always talking about tolerance).

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Instead of American we should call ourselves Americasians I guess lol
Seriously what does one "n" do for these politically correct cry babies? (As in "Americas" opposed to "American").

But Americasians sounds like it might be a corruption of "Asian Americans", thereby causing offense to those from the Orient as well as the Indian subcontinent.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Our culture has imposed a SILLY, ABSURD and unworkable rule....

If someone chooses to feel offended by something, it is the fault of the one who is identified as causing it. This is the basis of political correctness (a foundational dogma of liberalism). I'm a tall, White, blonde/blue guy. I walk into a room and someone is offended by White, blonde/blue men. So it's MY fault.... I caused it.... BUT this only works if LIBERALS are offended! If a Black woman entered the room and someone feels offended, then it's the "hate" and not "offense." Bob walks into a room with a "Make America Great Again" ballcap on - and someone is offended, so Bob is bad. Jim walks into the same room with a "Black lives matter" T-shirt on and someone is offended, this proves that person hates. Liberalism is absurd. And hypocritical. ALL this is nothing more than a very useful tool of Liberals to STOP all discussion and examination of issues by turning everything PERSONAL and EMOTIONAL. VIEWS are irrelevant, Liberals choosing to FEEL bad is what matters, that cannot be tolerated (demand those who are always talking about tolerance).

It's certainly easier to whine about finding something offensive than to prepare a useful logical rebuttal to an argument. Of course if you've always been taught what to think rather than how to think it's not a huge step to figure that someone else doesn't think the way you do and therefore they are wrong, and the best course of action is simply to silence them rather than address what they are saying. Because, you know, you must be right because that's what you were taught to think.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
But Americasians sounds like it might be a corruption of "Asian Americans", thereby causing offense to those from the Orient as well as the Indian subcontinent.
Oh no im caucasian! Im an insult to somebody :(

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Oh no im caucasian! Im an insult to somebody :(

Are you implying that certain races resemble corks? I'm most offended by that comparison. :banghead:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Congratulations to them. A lot of them still desire to come to where I live because it's a better America than theirs.
I am baffled by that reply.
But it was posted 2.7 years ago.
When Donald was still trumping his Presidency :)

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
But there are really two continents, and it is not just a view peculiar to a certain population, a look at the maps of the relevant area shows their are two continents,
For English speaking people there are two continents. That may not be so for others.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I am baffled by that reply.
But it was posted 2.7 years ago.
When Donald was still trumping his Presidency :)

You mean when gas prices were low and inflation wasn't high like it is now under the Biden Administration? ;) Yes, I agree, America used to be better under Trump.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
You mean when gas prices were low and inflation wasn't high like it is now under the Biden Administration? ;) Yes, I agree, America used to be better under Trump.
Yes and before COVID and the war in Ukraine. Times change and economies change with them.
Such is life.
Do you believe that Donald would have stopped the war?
He was president when COVID arrived and didn't manage to stop it.
Perhaps viruses and wars cannot be controlled by a USA president.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Sort of like Australia eh? Less time worrying about someone elses country and more spent on fixing your own maybe?
Interesting comment - mainly because it makes no sense.
Australia does in fact occupy the entire continent of Australia unlike the USA which occupies a portion of North America and Canada another portion, Mexico another, and so on through all the nations down to Panama.

The line of reasoning present in your comment and in a number of others here is poorly reasoned. The fact is undeniable, the name of the country we're discussion is The United States of America, USA in abbreviated form. The people from the USA are in the habit of calling their country America. Most people around the world accept that is how USA people refer to their homeland. Many people outside the USA do not like calling the USA "America", some refuse to do so.

Leaping to a non-sequitur comment about another continent such as the one quoted above in an attempt to dismiss the objections that some people have to calling the USA "America" isn't going to work.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes and before COVID and the war in Ukraine. Times change and economies change with them.
Such is life.
Do you believe that Donald would have stopped the war?
He was president when COVID arrived and didn't manage to stop it.
Perhaps viruses and wars cannot be controlled by a USA president.
Trump was around for the beginning of Covid and fast tracked the vaccine. IF Republicans had been in office, we wouldn't have had all the shutdowns that ruined the economy. Look at the new studies that have been released proving that the shut downs didn't save as many lives as they thought they would. The states that had more restrictions didn't fare any better than the states that gave their people more freedoms.

I don't know if Trump could have stopped the war between Russia and Ukraine. But Biden is too weak of a President for any country to fear him or any of his pathetic threats.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Trump was around for the beginning of Covid and fast tracked the vaccine. IF Republicans had been in office, we wouldn't have had all the shutdowns that ruined the economy. Look at the new studies that have been released proving that the shut downs didn't save as many lives as they thought they would. The states that had more restrictions didn't fare any better than the states that gave their people more freedoms.

I don't know if Trump could have stopped the war between Russia and Ukraine. But Biden is too weak of a President for any country to fear him or any of his pathetic threats.
Arguing "what if" scenarios isn't very productive is it?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Arguing "what if" scenarios isn't very productive is it?

Hmm...but you asked me "Do you think Trump would have stopped the war?" That's a what if. So how do I answer then if you don't want a what if answer after asking a what if question?

:unsure:

Top Bottom