Why did David take Goliath’s head to Jerusalem?

Joshua1Eight

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
1 Samuel 17:54
“And David taking the head of the Philistine brought it to Jerusalem: but his armour he put in his tent.”

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe David had conquered the Jebusite fortress yet and renamed it Jerusalem. Why would he take it to Jerusalem at this time?

Nazareth

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
This might help us figure it out.

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
1 Samuel 17:54
“And David taking the head of the Philistine brought it to Jerusalem: but his armour he put in his tent.”

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe David had conquered the Jebusite fortress yet and renamed it Jerusalem. Why would he take it to Jerusalem at this time?

Ok. (1 Sam. 17:54) is clear that David brought the head of Goliath to Jerusalem.

The exact time is not really indicated. And if you read on you will see in (1 Sam. 17:57) that when Abner brough David before Saul, David still had the head of Goliath in his hand.

Lees

Joshua1Eight

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Yes
Ok. (1 Sam. 17:54) is clear that David brought the head of Goliath to Jerusalem.

The exact time is not really indicated. And if you read on you will see in (1 Sam. 17:57) that when Abner brough David before Saul, David still had the head of Goliath in his hand.

Lees

Yea, but David spent quite some time under Saul’s rule. David didn’t conquer the Jebusite fortress until after he himself became king, which was after Saul died. We’re talking years later, not days. Goliath’s head would have decomposed by that time.

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Yea, but David spent quite some time under Saul’s rule. David didn’t conquer the Jebusite fortress until after he himself became king, which was after Saul died. We’re talking years later, not days. Goliath’s head would have decomposed by that time.

Why do you assume David couldn't take the head of Goliath to Jerusalem even if it had not yet been conquered. Perhaps all the more reason to take it.

Point being, (1 Sam. 17:54) says David took the head of Goliath to Jerusalem. And so he did. As to exactly when, I don't know. But Scriputre is clear that he did.

Lees

Joshua1Eight

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Yes
Why do you assume David couldn't take the head of Goliath to Jerusalem even if it had not yet been conquered. Perhaps all the more reason to take it.

Point being, (1 Sam. 17:54) says David took the head of Goliath to Jerusalem. And so he did. As to exactly when, I don't know. But Scriputre is clear that he did.

Lees

I looked up the book of Joshua and found that Jerusalem had already been conquered in the days of Joshua. I think that answers my question. I guess the Jebusite city was a completely different fortress on the same hill, and Jerusalem was a lot smaller back then.

Two cities on the same hill maybe?

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I looked up the book of Joshua and found that Jerusalem had already been conquered in the days of Joshua. I think that answers my question. I guess the Jebusite city was a completely different fortress on the same hill, and Jerusalem was a lot smaller back then.

Two cities on the same hill maybe?

I don't know. Perhaps David took the head of Goliath to an enemy city to show them what was coming.

What I do know is that he took the head of Goliath to Jerusalem, as (1 Sam. 17:54) says.

Lees

Top Bottom