What does a + sign after a nickname mean?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
In the list of current users some members have a + after their nickname, what does that mean?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That's your Friend :)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think people forget they can friend people. I'm not sure the benefits really?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Oh!!

I don't have many :p

There's a + after your name for me, meaning I have designated you as one of my (few) friends here. And I sent you a notice of that - and a request for you in return to so designate me but you refused.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
There's a + after your name for me, meaning I have designated you as one of my (few) friends here. And I sent you a notice of that - and a request for you in return to so designate me but you refused.

I do not accept too many requests. Some I will. I do not recall your request. I would have refused it I think.

Lindart

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I can understand being selective on social media for the sake of privacy. What we post is seen by all members here. Enlighten me, why on CH would one not accept a friendship request? :confused:

Chloe

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Okay...so, a previous site I ran (I am still technically the admin on it, but 500 000 posts later, it has died down) had a very (extremely) militant atheist. Not the nice, pleasant type but a VERY nasty piece of work. So, to mess with him an admin of ours decided to try move that little (horizontal) part of the "add" symbol, a little higher.

I am not sure if he ever got anywhere with it - I went away for a while having been hounded into the ground by someone else.

Instead of the sign looking like an "add", it looked like the cross. That admin had to replace an icon or something I believe - I had no idea if it worked or not, but needless to say, the site has no contacts left because this poor user was bombarded with nearly 300 requests for friends, with a symbol of a cross headed his way. It was so bad, the entire site corrupted. It took all my tact and diplomacy to revert the situation but the friends / contact list never ever recovered. That was a mess that I never want to have to clean up again - no matter how funny it seemed at the time.

Chloe

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
I do not accept too many requests. Some I will. I do not recall your request. I would have refused it I think.

I added you as a friend, before I replied but I consider it an honor that you accepted, thank you. :) (When I replied to this I did not want to give off a bad impression as an admin who let her site run wild!)

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I added you as a friend, before I replied but I consider it an honor that you accepted, thank you. :) (When I replied to this I did not want to give off a bad impression as an admin who let her site run wild!)

My reply to Josiah needs a little explanation. I refuse most requests for friendship. For people I already know and like I will accept their request. I accepted yours because Mark recommended you and I hold Mark in high regard. I rejected Josiah's because although I know his posts here and on another message board I have to admit to not especially liking his posts hence the rejection.

Chloe

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Ohhh hey sorry, I wasn't trying to be overly pernicious towards sensitivities caused by a feeling of displacement. I need to find a better balance - I will try be a little less demanding / entitled I promise. :)

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Ohhh hey sorry, I wasn't trying to be overly pernicious towards sensitivities caused by a feeling of displacement. I need to find a better balance - I will try be a little less demanding / entitled I promise. :)

You did nothing wrong. In a way I needed to offer an explanation so that there would be no mystery about my rejecting Josiah's request. He appears to be an honourable chap.

Chloe

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Indeed, as are you. :)

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Sometimes posters make a constant complaint about how everybody hates 'em, everybody's always pic'n on them, everybody's "anti" them and their denomination - how they feel rejected. Ironically, sometimes the very same ones quite openly and officially reject others, post how much they reject the views of others, and refuse to return the embracing and very positive things others do, the very positive things others post about them and their denomination. It's one of the curious things we at times see at websites. Nothing to be concerned about or trouble by, just happens sometimes. Best advise: move on and don't take everything personally.

Last edited:
Top Bottom