Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
In a revealing court filing on 18 March, lawyers for Donald Trump said that he has tried to get help from at least 30 companies who can post a bond in excess of $454m after he lost a civil fraud trial in New York earlier this year.

But none of them could, and now he faces the “practical impossibility” of coming up with the money before the state’s imminent deadline to enforce the judgment against him, according to his attorneys.

The extraordinary circumstances also raise the prospect of the GOP’s presidential nominee being a convicted felon on the hook for tens of millions of dollars he doesn’t have when voters cast their ballots in November.

Mr Trump also cannot get rid of debts obtained by fraud by filing for bankruptcy.

Read more

What happens if Trump can't secure the $454m bond?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The article says that the state could begin by tomorrow the 25th seizing his assets including properties in New York and Florida.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
He's a gazillioaire. Or so he claims. Let him post the bail.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
He's a gazillioaire. Or so he claims. Let him post the bail.

Even if he does have a 10-figure net worth that doesn't necessarily mean he has hundreds of millions in cash sitting around idle. I suspect most people who are very wealthy only have a fairly small proportion of their total net worth readily on hand in a checking account.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Even if he does have a 10-figure net worth that doesn't necessarily mean he has hundreds of millions in cash sitting around idle. I suspect most people who are very wealthy only have a fairly small proportion of their total net worth readily on hand in a checking account.

Isn't in.. interesting.... given that he's "good" for it... that no other gazillionaire or bank or anything or anyone anywhere in the world is willing to loan him the money, or even a dime toward it? I mean, given that he's a gazillionaire?

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Isn't in.. interesting.... given that he's "good" for it... that no other gazillionaire or bank or anything or anyone anywhere in the world is willing to loan him the money, or even a dime toward it? I mean, given that he's a gazillionaire?

Lots of interesting factors. Given his claimed wealth one might expect him to be able to borrow a few hundred million, especially since it could be secured against one or more of his properties that are apparently worth that much.

Perhaps he's not worth anywhere near as much as he claims. Perhaps the kind of companies that might loan the money are reluctant to do so because they figure it's only a matter of time before he's hit with another lawsuit, and another, and another. It's easy to see why companies might be reluctant to fight a weaponized Justice Department that could be seen to be more concerned with bringing down an electoral rival than anything else.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Anyone would be cautious to enter the political realm of this. It isn't so simple of just loaning him money...they would be supporting the Republicans and not many institutions want to take a side at this point.

Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Update: Trump Can Post Smaller Bond

He has claimed he had $500 million and the appeals court lowered it and gave him 10 days to pay $175 million? This is just a joke at this point.

Your opinion on this?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think more businesses will now pull out of NYC because of this fiasco that is all political.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think more businesses will now pull out of NYC because of this fiasco that is all political.

I read an article this morning that featured a restaurant owner in NYC saying it's hard to operate when there are no consequences for crime, when the staff don't feel safe and when customers don't feel safe.

It's sad, NYC was a place I felt perfectly safe last time I was there, although that was over a decade ago.

Top Bottom