... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
A gripping day today. After our morning walk I got to some more.... wait for it..... floor sanding! I think I've finally found an optimum setting that lets me do (relatively speaking) a lot of sanding in a short time without trashing my sanding belts. Annoyingly I noticed a scratch in the floor where I dragged the piece of baseboard - it still has a nail in the bottom that I forgot about - so I'll need to fix that up. But on a positive note I'm clearing a lot of crud and it's starting to look good. At this rate I might even be ready to lacquer it over the weekend or early next week.... can but hope.

What really helps is that my sanding belt isn't overheating any more, which means I can work for longer between breaks.

Naiwen

Religious Affiliation
Other Religion
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Good morning all, had about 12 hours sleep last night, enjoying cereal and milk for breakfast and my morning coffee.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Our favorite brewpub offered takeout wings this evening. It seemed rude not to sample them. They were delicious.

Aside from that, a walk, more sanding the floor, and recording church for Sunday. Not a gripping day really.

TopSilver

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Relaxing on this site and on discord and xenforo.com. Might start work on a new add-on once I'm feeling better. Just have to start feeling a bit better first. Was planning on possibly trying to code another one.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Eating breakfast and trying to plan my day.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
May hop in to a Zoom meeting with friends later today. It's in the middle of the afternoon, which isn't ideal for us. Depending on how my sanding is going it may be a good opportunity to let the sander cool down a bit - sometimes it gets warm after running it for an extended period. I've got probably 75% or more of the floor done now, but still have a few awkward corners to figure out. I may well end up doing those with a sanding pad and some elbow grease because if I get it wrong with the belt sander and catch the cables that currently poke out from under the drywall I get to pull a new piece of cable, and really don't want to have to deal with that.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Looking in my separator I reckon I've lifted at least a gallon of dust from the floor. It seems odd measuring wood in gallons but there you have it :)

Naiwen

Religious Affiliation
Other Religion
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Good morning all, had about 12 hours sleep last night, enjoying a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast and my morning coffee.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It looks more like 2 gallons of wood dust in my separator bucket. Emptying it will be an experience. At least most of the floor is sanded now, I just need to go over the patches that were inaccessible with a belt sander and use a sanding block and a whole load of elbow grease. Not likely to be fun but it beats trashing a cable with a belt sander, blowing something up with the sparks, and then having to pull a new cable to replace the trashed one.

All being well I'll be ready to lacquer the floor within a few days.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Finished a Zoom chat. Everyone forgot we were doing it this week so they were slow to log in.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Took the chance to get some more sanding in while my wife was on a Zoom meeting with the ladies in our Sunday School class. They're doing some kind of Bible study while our regular meetngs are suspended.

I think I've hit the point where I can't do much more with a belt sander, so it's time to cut up some sheets of sandpaper and get into the corners and crevices by hand. This next stage could be tedious. At least with a belt sander I can just hold the thing and slowly sweep it across the floor. I've got most of the floor done now, it's just the sections in the very corners, the sections near the protruding cables, and a couple of boards that are slightly lower than the surrounding boards that are causing me problems. Using a belt sander to sand two entire boards until they are level with a lower board will take a long time and use a lot of sanding material.

We've got rain forecast more or less all day today so I probably won't get out for my walk. I might do some laps inside the church to get the steps up, it beats walking endlessly back and forth along my landing.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Another Zoom meeting tonight. Can't wait!
I started leading a zoom group this morning in the book "Experiencing God". We had 7 people in our group for our first meeting

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
How do you guys find a Zoom meeting with multiple active participants works? I've found once the group gets over about 4-5 people it's increasingly difficult to avoid people talking over each other, especially if there's a bit of lag in the system.

Naiwen

Religious Affiliation
Other Religion
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Good morning all, had about 12 hours sleep last night, having my usual for breakfast and my morning coffee.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Trying to get into the corners of my floor with a piece of sandpaper. It's really tedious. I'm alternating between using a scraper, sandpaper and a random orbital sander, because my belt sander won't get right into the corner.

I also found out that the 50-grit belts I've been using, thinking they were pretty coarse, are considered intermediate for sanding floors. Ideally I'd have started out with something more like 24 grit and progressed on to 50. I wish I'd known that before I started this process. I'm also wishing I'd done the next stage of the work first, got the cables at least a little off ground level, and then rented a floor sander to power through the job. But now it's so close to being done I might as well just press on with what I have.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I started leading a zoom group this morning in the book "Experiencing God". We had 7 people in our group for our first meeting

Sounds like a great way to spend the quarantine time! I don't think quickly enough in groups to participate in those things. Afterwards I come up with a million things to contribute.

How do you guys find a Zoom meeting with multiple active participants works? I've found once the group gets over about 4-5 people it's increasingly difficult to avoid people talking over each other, especially if there's a bit of lag in the system.

If you have a strong leader as the host it works out a lot better. You pretty much need one person to guide the group and go around asking questions directly to individuals. It also helps if you don't have all alphas who need to be vocal but can stand down and let others talk too.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If you have a strong leader as the host it works out a lot better. You pretty much need one person to guide the group and go around asking questions directly to individuals. It also helps if you don't have all alphas who need to be vocal but can stand down and let others talk too.

Maybe that's the problem we have - in a more discussion setting you don't necessarily have a leader as such. One circle of friends has a couple of people who are prone to talk over others anyway, so adding in the vagaries of a videoconference just makes it worse. Maybe it's something to just put up with for now.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Maybe that's the problem we have - in a more discussion setting you don't necessarily have a leader as such. One circle of friends has a couple of people who are prone to talk over others anyway, so adding in the vagaries of a videoconference just makes it worse. Maybe it's something to just put up with for now.

Are they women or guys doing it? Sometimes you can tell guys to wait their turn but women don't like being told to hush up LOL In our group we have one really strong woman who does most of the talking so it works for us.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Are they women or guys doing it? Sometimes you can tell guys to wait their turn but women don't like being told to hush up LOL In our group we have one really strong woman who does most of the talking so it works for us.

Inadvertantly talking over each other is something everybody does. The worst offender for talking over people in general is a woman. There's another woman in the group who is just naturally a loud person, so when those two in particular get going it can be a bit intense. Interestingly in a video chat session the people most prone to talk over others in person aren't necessarily the worst offenders.

I think part of the issue with a meeting that's more about a chat and catch-up is that in a group of 10-20 people a natural progression is that smaller subgroups form and change throughout an evening and you might easily have three or four conversations going on at once. When everyone is in the same video room you don't get the spacial separation that allows that, which feels quite unnatural. What you really need is something more like a pub table where you can move to different sections and talk to specific people without going through the process of "leaving the group" so you can talk.

Naiwen

Religious Affiliation
Other Religion
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Good morning all, had about 12 hours sleep last night, breakfast is my usual and my morning coffee.

Top Bottom