Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
No
Do you all visit them? Who has been in as an inmate? Who has had any contact with the prison system? How does this change your spirituality?

Heatman

Religious Affiliation
Other Religion
No
Yes, I visit people in jail once in a while. My faith compels me to do that because it's works of charity. Some of the guys in prison are innocent when you hear their stories.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I don't know anyone in jail or prison, so there is not much point in me going there.

I've been to jail once, for substance abuse (USA of course). Not even possession, just under the influence minding my own business. Anyway, jail sucks.

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I don't anymore, but a while back I did. She is a lifer (though she was paroled a few years back). She had been in for a year or two before I started visiting her. I went once a week, I went to all the Christmas parties and other social events. I also facilitated visits with her child up to a week at a time, a couple of times a year. I did this for about 11 years.

It did change me. The first time I went to a social, I couldn't tell the difference between inmates and visitors, and though I like to think I was non-judgemental at the time, it made me realize that I had indeed judged, otherwise I would not have expected to see a difference. It was a deeper learning that we are all the same, we all deserve to be there. "They" just happened to get caught. I learned the meaning of grace. The first time I drove to the prison for my first stay in the family visit house, the meaning of "Grace Alone" (Maranatha) became very real, very deep, and gave a whole new perspective to how there is no such thing as justice without grace and mercy. Every time I spend 5-6 days in there, I understood a little more of the social factors that contribute to how and why people end up in there, and each time I came out humbled that it could have been me in there. Not that I have broken any laws that would require a federal sentence, but the Bible tells me that even hating someone makes me as guilty as murdering them (1John 3:15). I belong in there because my heart has held hatred - even momentary hatred. By his mercy, by his grace, I am not in there. There is real humility knowing that we are all alike, all in need of salvation.

I believe this experience has also given me a different sense of compassion for people who are marginalized, an understanding of what I can't possibly understand in my limited human brain about God's justice versus man's justice. There was a lot of learning around this time. It was a time of spiritual growth and meaning-making.

Top Bottom