Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The Bible doesn't say.
The Lutheran Confessions do not say.
The LCMS does not say.

Simple.

So IOW, the LCMS believes it DID happen, they just don’t have a position on when? Sorry, I don’t know how to delete the “Josiah said” in blue.

Last edited:

Origen

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes

Origen

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Are there Christian Egyptologists who believe their timelines match up with the Bible?
Yes! Dr. David A. Falk is a professional Egyptologist. He hold four graduate degrees in the fields of archaeology, Biblical studies and theology, and Egyptology.

Keep in mind there is more than one interpretation of the chronology. There are two main views concerning the exodus (i.e. the early date ca. 1446 B.C. and the late date 1260 B.C.)

If you are interested check out Dr. Falk. However, know that the topic is long and can be very boring unless you are a nerd like me.

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes! Dr. David A. Falk is a professional Egyptologist. He hold four graduate degrees in the fields of archaeology, Biblical studies and theology, and Egyptology.

Keep in mind there is more than one interpretation of the chronology. There are two main views concerning the exodus (i.e. the early date ca. 1446 B.C. and the late date 1260 B.C.)

If you are interested check out Dr. Falk. However, know that the topic is long and can be very boring unless you are a nerd like me.

I’m kind of a nerd but a lot of this is still over my head. Thanks for your reply!

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
i wanted to know if the LCMS believes it really occurred based on the fact that Egyptologists differ from the Bible on the timeline.

Frankly, I was under the impression that generally historians noted that there is no evidence for the Exodus AT ALL (at any date). So if you are saying that's wrong and historians are now convinced and now declare that it DID occur and they have historical proof for that, well.... that's good news, even if that proof (evidently recent) doesn't seem to jibe with some takes on the Bible. Progress nonetheless.

But the LCMS has said nothing about this. For us, the "proof" is that the Bible says it happened, not that evidently now historians have declared that it did and found proof of it. Nice if you're right and they have.... but having no bearing on our belief that it did. We don't say WHEN it happened for one very, very simple reason: The Bible doesn't. We know the THAT (cuz the Bible says so) but not the WHEN (cuz the Bible doesn't say so). Not rocket science.

Last edited:

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Frankly, I was under the impression that generally historians noted that there is no evidence for the Exodus AT ALL (at any date). So if you are saying that's wrong and historians are now convinced and now declare that it DID occur and they have historical proof for that, well.... that's good news, even if that proof (evidently recent) doesn't seem to jibe with some takes on the Bible. Progress nonetheless.

But the LCMS has said nothing about this. For us, the "proof" is that the Bible says it happened, not that evidently now historians have declared that it did and found proof of it. Nice if you're right and they have.... but having no bearing on our belief that it did. We don't say WHEN it happened for one very, very simple reason: The Bible doesn't. We know the THAT (cuz the Bible says so) but not the WHEN (cuz the Bible doesn't say so). Not rocket science.

It was my understanding that some believe it occurred some don’t. Maybe I’m wrong about that.I think when the articles discuss the dates, they’re talking about the reign of the Pharoahs corresponding with the timeline of the Exodus. Or something.

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It was my understanding that some believe it occurred some don’t. Maybe I’m wrong about that.I think when the articles discuss the dates, they’re talking about the reign of the Pharoahs corresponding with the timeline of the Exodus. Or something.
Anyway, it’s good to know the LCMS doesn’t have a teaching on when the Exodus happened.

Messy

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I was once wondering if the pyramids were built before the flood of Noah and then I found this video. He says that in the masoretic text 1's are missing and if you add the 1's it lines up with the history from Egypt, which is also 200 years off. So someone was not 30 when he got a kid, but 130. This happened with a whole row of ppl. He thinks they did it on purpose, to say Shem was Melchisedek and then Jesus can't be the high priest. The Septuagint has 100 years added to 6 ppl from Arpachsad unto Serug.
The Israelites were in Egypt 215 years instead of 430. He has another video about that.

Last edited:

Messy

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
-

Last edited:

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I was once wondering if the pyramids were built before the flood of Noah and then I found this video. He says that in the masoretic text 1's are missing and if you add the 1's it lines up with the history from Egypt, which is also 200 years off. So someone was not 30 when he got a kid, but 130. This happened with a whole row of ppl. He thinks they did it on purpose, to say Shem was Melchisedek and then Jesus can't be the high priest. The Septuagint has 100 years added to 6 ppl from Arpachsad unto Serug.
The Israelites were in Egypt 215 years instead of 430. He has another video about that.

Who did what on purpose? The Egyptians or Christians?

Messy

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Who did what on purpose? The Egyptians or Christians?
Jewish scribes changed the masoretic text and took the 1's out, so they could say that Cham was Melchisedek. The Masoretic text, on which the KJV is based, came way later than the Septuagint.

Messy

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes

Many biblical scholars who interpret the genealogies of Genesis 5 and 11 as yielding a continuous chronology from Adam to Abraham claim the Hebrew Masoretic Text (MT) preserves the original begetting ages for the patriarchs.
The MT’s total for this period is 2008 years. The Samaritan Pentateuch (SP) presents markedly different chronological data for each epoch, for a grand total of 2249 years. Calculations derived from the primary manuscripts (MSS) of the Greek Septuagint (LXX) yield a chronology of 3394 years for this period, 1386 years greater than the MT. The MT is classically represented by the Ussher chronology, which places creation at 4004 BC and the Flood at 2348 BC. Figures from the LXX place creation at ca. 5554 BC and the Flood at ca. 3298 BC.

This paper proposes that the LXX preserves (most of) the original numbers in Genesis 5 and 11. Most of the MT’s chronology in Genesis 5 and 11 does not represent the original text, and is the result of a deliberate and systematic post–AD 70 corruption. Corroborating external witnesses, internal and external evidence, text critical and LXX studies, and historical testimonies will be presented, along with arguments rebutting LXX inflation hypotheses.

Last edited:
Top Bottom