Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Some churches will have a Confirmation for those who have gone through a series of classes to learn about the beliefs, and then publicly affirm that God is their Savior.

Does your church do that? If so, do they have it for youth or for both youth and adults?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes. Both.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes. Confirmation is the follow-up to Baptism if we understand the point of it. When we're baptized as young children, vows are made for us by our sponsors, and we begin a life of being raised in the faith. Later, however, it makes sense to have the same person affirm all of that on his own and at an appropriate time, most often in one's early teens. People of an older age are often confirmed as well if they are converting to the church from a different denomination, but not always.

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Some churches will have a Confirmation for those who have gone through a series of classes to learn about the beliefs, and then publicly affirm that God is their Savior.

Does your church do that? If so, do they have it for youth or for both youth and adults?
No but we do have a class called Rooted (formerly called The Rooted Experience) and upon finishing that class some officially join our church. I did.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
No but we do have a class called Rooted (formerly called The Rooted Experience) and upon finishing that class some officially join our church. I did.

Is that for all ages?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That would simply represent preparation for becoming part of a new church with its particular beliefs and practices. Confirmation, which is similar in some ways, is considered to be a sacrament in some churches and in others is considered a "sacramental" ceremony.

There, it involves reaffirming (by a person of a certain level of maturity) one's Baptismal vows and the making of a public commitment to Christ and to the faith.

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That would simply represent preparation for becoming part of a new church with its particular beliefs and practices. Confirmation, which is similar in some ways, is considered to be a sacrament in some churches and in others is considered a "sacramental" ceremony.

There, it involves reaffirming (by a person of a certain level of maturity) one's Baptismal vows and the making of a public commitment to Christ and to the faith.
We don’t have Confirmation anymore and haven’t since before I joined, A fellow congregant sent me a copy of an email she was sent by a church staffer and it said in part that several large scale studies showed that kids who were confirmed didn’t stay connected to the church any more than those who weren’t. It was a long email, but in answer to the OPs question, no we don’t have Confirmation anymore,
Hubby is in a meeting with our pastor right now. Maybe he’ll have something to say on the subject when he gets home. Maybe not.

Last edited:

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We don’t have Confirmation anymore and haven’t since before I joined, A fellow congregant sent me a copy of an email she was sent by a church staffer and it said in part that several large scale studies showed that kids who were confirmed didn’t stay connected to the church any more than those who weren’t.
Hmm. Would that mean that altar calls, revivals, and/or other activities that have as their purpose the urging of people to give their lives to Christ will probably be discontinued too?

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Hmm. Would that mean that altar calls, revivals, and/or other activities that have as their purpose the urging of people to give their lives to Christ will probably be discontinued too?
We don’t have altar calls or revivals either. We do have Confession available to anyone who contacts one of the Pastors but I’ve only gone once at my Lutheran church and he said he wished more would come to Confession. We confesss our sins more often directly to God. It’s a Christian church so people are encouraged to give their lives to Jesus.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We don’t have altar calls or revivals either.
Yes, for some reason I totally forgot that your church is a Lutheran church where those activities would not be usual anyway. 😕 My bad.

Faith

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes, for some reason I totally forgot that your church is a Lutheran church where those activities would not be usual anyway. 😕 My bad.
That’s ok.

Ammi

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
I don't get out to church much anymore, though I did take classes and made my public confession of faith with the Christian Reformed church.

Top Bottom