Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
People who have Do Not Resuscitate orders — why?

Forgiven1

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Many times they are elderly and resuscitating them would be more harmful. Others have illnesses where they are not ever going to get better and they are near the end of life in that scenario. Others are afraid of what the treatment of their illness and would rather not seek treatment and when the end comes, to not be resuscitated.

I am in my late 60's. As I get older I have told my family that quality of life is to be considered. If I am in an accident and need to be on a vent short term for recovery, go for it. If I am terrible health and the prognosis is not good, do not go for the heroics.

As a nurse, I have seen families fight the DNR as they don't want the beloved to die. This is all selfish on their part. I have had patients who are at the point of dying and we have to resuscitate or send them to the ED because they won't change the status to DNR. Why? I ask. Grandpa is 88 years old and already in a vegetative state. Understand that we all die and bringing him back is not going to change his state of being alive.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
An elderly relative of my wife's had a living will that pretty much said she didn't want any medical heroics to try and eke out a few more months of life. Much like Forgiven just said above, she'd accept basic treatment to handle the ailments of growing older but figured that once her time was up it was better to accept it than to endlessly fight it, only to then battle on with no quality of life.

When her time came she spent the last week or so of life in hospital. Naturally we didn't want her to die but at the same time the doctors had concluded very early on there was nothing they could do to save her, so they gave her palliative care to keep her as comfortable as possible until the end.

Romanos

God is good.
Executive Administrator
Community Team
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Some may have it when they are not happy when they are older due to being sick.

Top Bottom