Did Jesus establish the canon of scripture?

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
In Matthew 23, Jesus mentioned Abel to Zechariah. Zechariah is mentioned in 2 Chronicles 24:21, which chronologically is the same time as Malachi.
לֹא־תִשְׁתַּחֲוֶ֥֣ה לָהֶ֖ם֮ וְלֹ֣א תָעָבְדֵ֑ם֒ כִּ֣י אָנֹכִ֞י יְהוָ֤ה אֱלֹהֶ֙יךָ֙ אֵ֣ל קַנָּ֔א פֹּ֠קֵד עֲוֺ֨ן אָב֧וֹת עַל־בָּנִ֛ים וְעַל־שִׁלֵּשִׁ֥ים וְעַל־רִבֵּעִ֖ים לְשֹׂנְאָֽ֑י׃

You shall not bow down to them or serve them. For I the LORD your God am an impassioned God, visiting the guilt of the parents upon the children, upon the third and upon the fourth generations of those who reject Me,

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
You are being both deliberately and unnecessary rude.

Frankly, I don’t give a **** what books you read. It is no skin off my nose, and I do not see how it is any business of yours what books I choose to read. As a simple point of fact, I tend to avoid Daniel and Revelation because I do not particularly enjoy end-time prophecy or disciphering symbolic visions.

With respect to THIS PARTICULAR TOPIC, a question was asked about where Jesus identified the Canon of scripture and I responded with an honest explanation of the orthodox understanding of the verse in question and how it implies an endorsement of Genesis to Chronicles as the totality of Holy Scripture in Jesus’ day.

I am not a Rabbi.
I am not a Jew.
I am not a heretic.
I am not a messianic cult leader or a false prophet.
I am completely indifferent to the Prayer of Manasseh.
I am completely indifferent to the Septuagint.
I am completely indifferent to all of the books in the Apocrypha.

However, I am tired of being your whipping boy because you dislike church history and feel like taking your abuse out on me ... so kiss my grits and bless someone else with your sarcasm.

I leave you to your hard won ignorance.
I intended no insult to you whatsoever, all I am saying is that if what you theorize as canon through Jesus is Genesis to 2nd Chronicles (Law through Writings) is true then the apocrypha book "Prayer of Manasseh" should be included

i did not mean to offend and I apologize if I have, I won't bother you anymore with these specific topics

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
@atpollard
The Prayer of Manasseh is mentioned in 2nd Chronicles and Manasseh is recorded in 2nd kings, so it should be canonized under "writings" because he became righteous through repentance in a recorded act of this prayer, but I guess unbelieving rabbis know what's best for Christians, and it's nothing to do with repentance like the 'messianic cult leader and false prophet' John preached.. oh no no no, it's through the Law whereby Jews are saved.. yes of course Rabbis would find it extremely necessary to remove this "apocrypha" writing from their canon 1rst Century.. just sounds too Christian for Jewish eyes to gaze upon, I mean come on.. a sinful king repenting to the God of Israel through prayer and God hearkening to him and blessing him? Nope sorry, that's the same heresy that John the baptist was preaching.

-------------

2nd Chronicles 33: 18-19 (LXX)
"And the rest of the acts of Manasses, and his prayer to God, and the words of the seers that spoke to him in the name of the God of Israel, behold, they are in the account of his prayer; and God hearkened to him"

-------------

...and where can we find this "account of his prayer"? In the Septuagint of course (in the book "Prayer of Manasseh"), you know, where all of those other unholy "apocrypha" books are found that the unbelieving Jews left out of their canon in 90 AD
Manasseh is the first born of yosef.
A child representing freedom.

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
What Zechariah is Jesus referring to?
The one in 2 Chronicles?
Or the one in Zechariah?
They’re not the same.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
@atpollard
The Prayer of Manasseh is mentioned in 2nd Chronicles and Manasseh is recorded in 2nd kings, so it should be canonized under "writings" because he became righteous through repentance in a recorded act of this prayer, but I guess unbelieving rabbis know what's best for Christians, and it's nothing to do with repentance like the 'messianic cult leader and false prophet' John preached.. oh no no no, it's through the Law whereby Jews are saved.. yes of course Rabbis would find it extremely necessary to remove this "apocrypha" writing from their canon 1rst Century.. just sounds too Christian for Jewish eyes to gaze upon, I mean come on.. a sinful king repenting to the God of Israel through prayer and God hearkening to him and blessing him? Nope sorry, that's the same heresy that John the baptist was preaching.

-------------

2nd Chronicles 33: 18-19 (LXX)
"And the rest of the acts of Manasses, and his prayer to God, and the words of the seers that spoke to him in the name of the God of Israel, behold, they are in the account of his prayer; and God hearkened to him"

-------------

...and where can we find this "account of his prayer"? In the Septuagint of course (in the book "Prayer of Manasseh"), you know, where all of those other unholy "apocrypha" books are found that the unbelieving Jews left out of their canon in 90 AD

1. Mentioning something doesn't make it Scripture.... much less proof that Jesus officially gave all people a list of all the Books that are canonical.

2. Actually, several books are mentioned in Scripture.... so what? A few weeks ago, my pastor mentioned a book.... does that prove Jesus gave all people a list of all the Books that are Scripture and this book my pastor referenced ergo is on that list? And in the Bible, it mentions a lot of examples of people praying, that does NOT prove that ergo that prayer is canonical Scripture or that Jesus gave all people an official list of what Books are and are not canonical.

3. At the JEWISH Council of Jamnia in 90Ad, the JEWS officially, formally, definitively declared what is the canon FOR JEWS. If you have a problem with what the Jews did, then don't be a Jew. CHRISTIANS have never done this, CHRISTIANS have never held a Council that did the same; Christians have NEVER officially, formally declared what books are canonical.... and so far, no one in this thread has proven that Jesus offically did this by giving all people on Earth a list of what books are canonical.

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
The one in 2 Chronicles?
Or the one in Zechariah?
They’re not the same.
I believe our Lord was referring to grandson of berechiah, zechariah the priest/prophet murdered on command of the king of yhdh at the time.

Blessed knowledge of The Lord remembered.

Last edited:

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
The one in 2 Chronicles?
Or the one in Zechariah?
They’re not the same.
What is written
Zechariah 1
[ In the eighth month, in the second year of Darius, came the word of the Lord unto Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, the son of Iddo the prophet, saying,]

Matthew 23
[That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.]

2 Chronicles 24
[ And they conspired against him, and stoned him with stones at the commandment of the king in the court of the house of the LORD. ]

Last edited:

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Manasseh is the first born of yosef.
A child representing freedom.
1 chronicles 5
[ And the sons of Reuben the first-born of Israel--for he was the first-born; but, forasmuch as he defiled his father's couch, his birthright was given unto the sons of Joseph the son of Israel, yet not so that he was to be reckoned in the genealogy as first-born.]

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
1 chronicles 5
[ And the sons of Reuben the first-born of Israel--for he was the first-born; but, forasmuch as he defiled his father's couch, his birthright was given unto the sons of Joseph the son of Israel, yet not so that he was to be reckoned in the genealogy as first-born.]
Matthew 24:22

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
What is written
Zechariah 1
[ In the eighth month, in the second year of Darius, came the word of the Lord unto Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, the son of Iddo the prophet, saying,]

Matthew 23
[That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.]

2 Chronicles 24
[ And they conspired against him, and stoned him with stones at the commandment of the king in the court of the house of the LORD. ]

So which one?

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I believe our Lord was referring to grandson of berechiah, zechariah the priest/prophet murdered on command of the king of yhdh at the time.

Blessed knowledge of The Lord remembered.

Is it the one from 2 Chronicles or the one from Zechariah? Which one?

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
1. Mentioning something doesn't make it Scripture.... much less proof that Jesus officially gave all people a list of all the Books that are canonical.

2. Actually, several books are mentioned in Scripture.... so what? A few weeks ago, my pastor mentioned a book.... does that prove Jesus gave all people a list of all the Books that are Scripture and this book my pastor referenced ergo is on that list? And in the Bible, it mentions a lot of examples of people praying, that does NOT prove that ergo that prayer is canonical Scripture or that Jesus gave all people an official list of what Books are and are not canonical.

3. At the JEWISH Council of Jamnia in 90Ad, the JEWS officially, formally, definitively declared what is the canon FOR JEWS. If you have a problem with what the Jews did, then don't be a Jew. CHRISTIANS have never done this, CHRISTIANS have never held a Council that did the same; Christians have NEVER officially, formally declared what books are canonical.... and so far, no one in this thread has proven that Jesus offically did this by giving all people on Earth a list of what books are canonical.

Mentioning the fact that mentioning something doesn’t make it scripture, doesn’t prove that it’s not scripture.

Nobody didn’t not get nowhere by a bunch of double negatives.

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Is it the one from 2 Chronicles or the one from Zechariah? Which one?
I have already responded to your que.
Why the repetition?

The op isn't about zechariah

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Where is the proof that Jesus made an official declaration to all Christians of what Books are and are not canonical? Where is this list of Books with His authorization and signature on it?

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

Msut77

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The Lord did establish the Canon... and by the way, look at the AMAZING CHRISTIAN NEWS !

Top Bottom