Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Again I agree but lets look at facts about this: 1. He originally said it was a hoax. 2. The intelligence community warned him about this in January. 3. He then said it would not be bad when reality hit him. You draw your own conclusions.
Well the media has a reputation of exaggerating the news, even I like many other optimists believed this wasn't as bad as the media first made it out to be.. also the mainstream news media pushed the panic buttons on the public causing swarms to practice social interacting to buy toilet paper.. sadly we have no real journalism just greedy animals feeding off the latest hot topic in competition to boost ratings.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I agree with this, it is his statements about the virus itself and his willingness to trade lives for the economy. Even his advisors are backing away from his statements and in some cases correcting them.

The thing is that this isn't a simple matter of "people or money". The brutal reality is that there are huge costs to be borne whatever is done.

If we start lifting requests/orders for people to stay at home we risk the virus taking hold and an enormous death toll.

If we expect people to stay at home for an extended period we face an economic collapse (which will also cost many lives, albeit not right away), a crisis in mental health and all sorts of other social problems. What about the woman now forcibly quarantined with an abusive husband who isn't even out of the house to go to work any more? What of parents who end up leaving their children in the care of someone who might abuse them, simply because there are no other options? What of the vulnerable children who are no longer coming into contact with mandated reporters, now that their abusive parents are stuck at home with little to focus on except maybe drinking? What of parents trying to work from home while also looking after children with special needs, who can't send the kids to school because the schools are closed but also can't get much work done from home because they need to look after the children? What about elderly people who have limited social contact at the best of times and are now quarantined and not even able to get to the very limited number of social events they used to enjoy? What about the people working in the service industry, that may not even exist any more if a lockdown lasts for too long - how long do you think places like cafes and restaurants can survive if they have to pay bills but can't generate any income? What happens to all those people once the lockdowns are lifted but the businesses that might have employed them have disappeared?

If it was as simple as "go out = die, stay home = live" then this would be an easy thing to manage. Trying to balance the conflicting requirements isn't a job that can be usefully done from an armchair.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Again I agree but lets look at facts about this: 1. He originally said it was a hoax. 2. The intelligence community warned him about this in January. 3. He then said it would not be bad when reality hit him. You draw your own conclusions.

Except that he didn't say it was a hoax.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I found this article interesting. It's on the Washington Post that seems to have a general left-leaning bias, and blames the Democrats for delays to the stimulus legislation.

I'm always at least somewhat skeptical when the left-leaning press blames the Republicans or the right-leaning press blames the Democrats, but when the Washington Post blames the Democrats I'm more inclined to believe it.

ETA: The link might be useful here...

carusos1974

Religious Affiliation
Agnostic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
If it’s not this something else will come close after with more force and less time in between.

It’s birthing time for the bride of Jesus Christ. Time to birth him through our lives.

Also the whole world is waiting for the manifestation of the sons and daughters of GOD.

Rise up children. Rise up bride.

The bridegroom cometh.

Birth pains is what we r feeling. They only get worse til something is born through the pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If it’s not this something else will come close after with more force and less time in between.

It’s birthing time for the bride of Jesus Christ. Time to birth him through our lives.

Also the whole world is waiting for the manifestation of the sons and daughters of GOD.

Rise up children. Rise up bride.

The bridegroom cometh.

Birth pains is what we r feeling. They only get worse til something is born through the pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is this based on anything in particular, or just speculation?

hobie

Religious Affiliation
Seventh Day Adventist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Looks like this is going to be repeated in the fall, it will become the new normal...
"The Coronavirus Will Return In The Fall...
Topline: Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said at a White House press briefing Monday he anticipates the coronavirus will come back in another wave later this year—but added the U.S. will be much better prepared to deal with another outbreak, if it happens, in the fall.
  • Medical experts have been warning the coronavirus could be cyclical, meaning it could come back in the fall even if its spread is halted in the next few months.
  • Fauci said he “anticipates” such an event happening in the U.S. “because of the degree of transmissibility” and the fact that countries in the Southern Hemisphere are seeing more cases as they transition into their winter season.
  • He added an outbreak in the fall would be a “totally different ballgame” because the country’s increased ability to test, identify and isolate those who are infected will be “orders of magnitude better than what it was just a couple of months ago.”
  • Clinical trials are also underway for a number of treatments and Fauci hopes one or more of them will be available
  • Fauci also raised the possibility of a vaccine being available next season under an emergency use “if we start seeing an efficacy signal” in any one of the multiple candidate vaccines.
  • Other medical experts have warned that if there is a dip in cases during the summer months, the U.S. needs to stock up on ventilators and other supplies to handle another wave."...https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachelsandler/2020/03/30/the-coronavirus-will-return-in-the-fall-fauci-predicts-but-the-us-will-be-better-prepared/#5d444e3ce39b

hobie

Religious Affiliation
Seventh Day Adventist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Typical New Yorkese, what can you do...

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We have 2 (maybe more) people die in our area. :(

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Husband say 10 people have died here. :(

We need help. :(

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Husband say 10 people have died here. :(

We need help. :(

Aww :( Were they older people with underlying conditions?

I know that a lot of details can't be released because of HIPAA but I often wonder how many of these people dying "from the virus" actually were on their way to the grave in the next month or two anyway? I think about my mom who passed away a month ago. She was very ill and if she hadn't died then she would have died within 6 months tops because of her "underlying conditions" so if she had gotten the virus they would have added her to the list. Do you get where I'm going with this? And yeah, I've read about the cases of "HEALTHY" people getting it and dying. The problem I have is that most likely they had something going on that they were unaware of or in denial about.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Aww :( Were they older people with underlying conditions?

I know that a lot of details can't be released because of HIPAA but I often wonder how many of these people dying "from the virus" actually were on their way to the grave in the next month or two anyway? I think about my mom who passed away a month ago. She was very ill and if she hadn't died then she would have died within 6 months tops because of her "underlying conditions" so if she had gotten the virus they would have added her to the list. Do you get where I'm going with this? And yeah, I've read about the cases of "HEALTHY" people getting it and dying. The problem I have is that most likely they had something going on that they were unaware of or in denial about.

I remember reading that part of the reason Italy's apparent mortality rate from the coronavirus was so high was because they included anyone who died with the virus, as opposed to only counting people who specifically died because of the virus.

Part of what makes it so difficult to gauge severity of an issue like this is when the media riddles "reporting" with emotional bias. The other day I turned off a news "report" (I use the term in its loosest possible context here) where the "reporter" was loading her words with emotional inflections as she was putting extra emphasis on how seven HUNDRED people had died from this virus. That many people die every week on our roads and it barely gets a mention on the local news. Of course each individual death is a tragedy for those left bereaved but it makes no sense to act as if 700 deaths from a virus means the sky is falling while 700 deaths every single week on the roads is just business as usual.

For good measure the media seems to be acting as if a worst-case death toll of 250,000 means the sky is falling. It would be nice to see a bit of balance there too - it wasn't that long ago we were looking at a possible death toll of ten times that. Reducing the worst-case estimated death toll by 90% seems like good news to me.

Other reports have suggested that for every case we know about there are up to 100 that we don't know about. If that is true (and guessing unknowns can't be a precise science by definition) then logically the mortality rate must be far lower than estimated.

Top Bottom