Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Really, He is talking to more than one and the other is it only one person who sins against you in a lifetime or is it many?

Matthew 16:19; 18:18 also teach what John 20:19-23 teaches. The principle is repeated in James 5:13-18. With that I'll leave the matter with you to consider if you are willing.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think it's great to confess your sins to someone else and pray for each other and we can say as a reassurance that someone's sins are forgiven. But the part of not forgiving and then they are not forgiven, only one who did that that I know of was Wigglesworth, who didn't want someone to bring a Newspaper in his house during WWII and said: Hitler and Mussolini will soon be in hell. I never hear someone preach like Jesus and tell people they'll go to hell, like Jesus did with the pharisees. If people do that now most of the time they go way over their bounderies and I wonder if they're even saved themselves. The other text says you have to forgive everyone, otherwise your Father doesn't forgive you, so I wouldn't do it.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I think it's great to confess your sins to someone else and pray for each other and we can say as a reassurance that someone's sins are forgiven. But the part of not forgiving and then they are not forgiven, only one who did that that I know of was Wigglesworth, who didn't want someone to bring a Newspaper in his house during WWII and said: Hitler and Mussolini will soon be in hell. I never hear someone preach like Jesus and tell people they'll go to hell, like Jesus did with the pharisees. If people do that now most of the time they go way over their bounderies and I wonder if they're even saved themselves. The other text says you have to forgive everyone, otherwise your Father doesn't forgive you, so I wouldn't do it.

Hell is an ever present danger for anybody who sins wilfully knowingly and freely in serious matters despite having knowledge of the truth and grace to live it. One hesitates to condemn to hell because one always hopes for grace and forgiveness to be given to sinners - even the worst of them.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
So I can forgive your sins committed against someone else? I think not

You're thinking of it in terms of YOUR forgiveness being given. Think of it as the forgiveness from the cross being given instead and it will be clear.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
You're thinking of it in terms of YOUR forgiveness being given. Think of it as the forgiveness from the cross being given instead and it will be clear.

The absolution is always from God the power to dispense it is given by Christ to the faithful who minister to God's people. That is the purpose of the Lord's words in Matthew 16:19; 18:18; John 20:19-23.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If they can be retained then it is personal, not other peoples

The only reason a sin would not be forgiven by someone should be because the person is not repentant and refuses to see or change what he has done. Jesus died for that sin yes, but those who refuse to repent are rejecting forgiveness for that sin since they don't believe they are actually sinning. So, it is retained until repentance is shown.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The only reason a sin would not be forgiven by someone should be because the person is not repentant and refuses to see or change what he has done. Jesus died for that sin yes, but those who refuse to repent are rejecting forgiveness for that sin since they don't believe they are actually sinning. So, it is retained until repentance is shown.

One's sins cannot be retained when one comes in genuine contrition and asks forgiveness of God. No pastor or elder can retain what is truly repented and in their hearts the ministers know this and act upon it.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
One's sins cannot be retained when one comes in genuine contrition and asks forgiveness of God. No pastor or elder can retain what is truly repented and in their hearts the ministers know this and act upon it.

Right. That's because it's a Law Gospel issue and repentance being the bridge between the two :) We know it's not about a pastor trying to use his authority to get back at anyone and not give the forgiveness rightly due.

Top Bottom