Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
No
What do you feel it is? How would you apply it to social media and other things?

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
What do you feel it is? How would you apply it to social media and other things?
Since the internet is global, you can waste your posts on a certain group. That is, you can cast your pearls before swine and get trampled. But there are many worldwide that benefit from them in archived form. So if you consider the big picture, it's not like it was back in the day.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Since the internet is global, you can waste your posts on a certain group. That is, you can cast your pearls before swine and get trampled. But there are many worldwide that benefit from them in archived form. So if you consider the big picture, it's not like it was back in the day.
I think social media can be useful, but the posts people make could come across as obnoxious to unbelievers especially and also believers. There is a right way to spread the message.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
I think social media can be useful, but the posts people make could come across as obnoxious to unbelievers especially and also believers. There is a right way to spread the message.
People hate the truth by nature. It's like pulling teeth to teach sound doctrine.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
People hate the truth by nature. It's like pulling teeth to teach sound doctrine.
Well, some of the truth isn't the truth and some is, based on looking at the Greek. However, if we are just talking about being sinners, people don't want to hear it.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
Well, some of the truth isn't the truth and some is, based on looking at the Greek. However, if we are just talking about being sinners, people don't want to hear it.
People give lip service to being sinners. But the truth is we are born God-haters. And we remain that way worshipping idols we call Jesus instead. Unless God saves us by paying for our sins on the cross. And by giving us a new heart that can discern the truth, Love God, and pursue Holiness.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
People give lip service to being sinners. But the truth is we are born God-haters. And we remain that way worshipping idols we call Jesus instead. Unless God saves us by paying for our sins on the cross. And by giving us a new heart that can discern the truth, Love God, and pursue Holiness.
Well, at least in my universalist belief, those infants who are born in sin stand a real chance.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
Well, at least in my universalist belief, those infants who are born in sin stand a real chance.
Why do they die in the womb? The wages of sin is death.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
Why do they die in the womb? The wages of sin is death.
Infants are born into sin, but preachers soften things not to offend people - case, well, honestly, you get the picture.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The universalist concept is of universal salvation, not that anyone merely has a chance.

Infants are born into sin, but preachers soften things not to offend people....

? what preachers did you have in mind?

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
The universalist concept is of universal salvation, not that anyone merely has a chance.

? what preachers did you have in mind?
They don't stand a chance in this go around, especially if aborted.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
They don't stand a chance in this go around, especially if aborted.
My question asked what preachers you had in mind when saying that they soften things (meaning, I think, the sinful state of all men prior to redemption).

That seemed like a dubious charge, considering that the great majority of Christians belong to churches whose clergy routinely operate in the belief that all are sinners and in need of a way out of that state.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
My question asked what preachers you had in mind when saying that they soften things (meaning, I think, the sinful state of all men prior to redemption).

That seemed like a dubious charge, considering that the great majority of Christians belong to churches whose clergy routinely operate in the belief that all are sinners and in need of a way out of that state.
Who wants to send babies or children to hell, much less an eternal one?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Who wants to send babies or children to hell, much less an eternal one?
I don't know. I asked you, the poster who wrote "Infants are born into sin, but preachers soften things not to offend people" in post #9, to explain what you meant by that. IOW, what preachers are denying that infants are born in sin?

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
I don't know. I asked you, the poster who wrote "Infants are born into sin, but preachers soften things not to offend people" in post #9 to explain what you meant by that. IOW, what preachers are denying that infants are born in sin?
Well, a lot of people think youngsters will be granted amnesty because of innocence.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

As far as social media is concerned I'd say any kind of discussion with someone you don't already know is probably a waste of time. Even a discussion with people you know can become a waste of time when the howler monkeys that make up so much of social media can join in any time they want.

I always like the meme that says "Remember that kid in class who ate paste? That's who you're arguing with right now."

A slightly less direct alternative is that until people know you care they don't care what you know. Online it's very easy to come across as very sanctimonious, as if we are some kind of perfect shining example when the reality is we are usually anything but. If people get the sense they are talking to a book - someone who is very quick to quote chapter and verse but usually in a way that sounds like they are judging every which way - they switch off very fast. Online we lose the nuances of a personal conversation, the chance to simply draw closer to someone or back away a little as appropriate, to see their interactions with a view to understanding what is driving their questions (which may or may not be what they say is driving their questions) and so on.

Social media seems like a way to be inundated with trolls while not being able to connect well with people who genuinely want to talk.

Jason76

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
No
As far as social media is concerned I'd say any kind of discussion with someone you don't already know is probably a waste of time. Even a discussion with people you know can become a waste of time when the howler monkeys that make up so much of social media can join in any time they want.

I always like the meme that says "Remember that kid in class who ate paste? That's who you're arguing with right now."

A slightly less direct alternative is that until people know you care they don't care what you know. Online it's very easy to come across as very sanctimonious, as if we are some kind of perfect shining example when the reality is we are usually anything but. If people get the sense they are talking to a book - someone who is very quick to quote chapter and verse but usually in a way that sounds like they are judging every which way - they switch off very fast. Online we lose the nuances of a personal conversation, the chance to simply draw closer to someone or back away a little as appropriate, to see their interactions with a view to understanding what is driving their questions (which may or may not be what they say is driving their questions) and so on.

Social media seems like a way to be inundated with trolls while not being able to connect well with people who genuinely want to talk.
I think people can see the real deal. However, you don't want to rub people the wrong way and ruin the vibe. For one thing, don't preach about hell in that kind of audience. They need to be shown the love of God first.

What is especially important is walking in the light so as I said, people can see the real deal.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well, a lot of people think youngsters will be granted amnesty because of innocence.
So, no preachers come to mind as ones helping the "lot of people" to think such a thing.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think people can see the real deal. However, you don't want to rub people the wrong way and ruin the vibe. For one thing, don't preach about hell in that kind of audience. They need to be shown the love of God first.

What is especially important is walking in the light so as I said, people can see the real deal.

People can see the real deal but on social media everything looks the same. On any online media everything looks much the same.

Even on a site like this where people tick the box to say they are a Christian, can you tell anything about the way I live my life? Whatever I may say here you don't know whether I'm good at saying the right things or if I really live it. Nobody reading my words here has any way of knowing whether I show any of the fruit of the Spirit at all. Am I the sort of person who is patient with a slow checkout assistant or the sort of person who swears at and belittles them for every minor issue? Am I someone who loves and respects my wife or who mistreats her? When I'm in a bar/restaurant am I the sort of person who drinks too much and behaves inappropriately towards the waitress or do I quietly enjoy my meal and my beer, treating the staff well and not getting out of hand?

The waitresses at my favorite brewpub know how I treat them. The staff at my local grocery store know how I treat them. The people at my church can see whether my wife responds to me in a way that indicates mutual love and respect or fear. People online can see none of this so they have no way of knowing whether I walk the walk or just talk the talk.

Top Bottom