Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
No

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Haha! Yah! Don't mess with Canadian Geese or Canadians. Just because we mind our p's and q's and say "sorry" a lot doesn't mean we're not a force to be reckoned with!

*walks away, puffing out chest, pulling back shoulders and a releasing a huff of satisfaction.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The inferiority complexes of many Canadians and Aussies are actually tiresome to read about. It would be a good idea for such people just to keep it to themselves.

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
No
I wonder which is the more annoying, the so called inferiority complex spoken of above or the superiority complex of American exceptionalism?

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think I already answered that question.

But if anyone has doubts, he should pay attention to the postings and notice that Americans very seldom feel the need to denigrate Australia or Canada in the way that we get it from people in those countries.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The inferiority complexes of many Canadians and Aussies are actually tiresome to read about. It would be a good idea for such people just to keep it to themselves.

In my former career, I did quite a bit of travel (mostly to conferences) and I worked with a wide and very international group of scientists.

As such, I found that most people from pretty much all countries tend to be nice. Generalization are always wrong (including that one?) but I personally found Danes to be especially friendly, nice and accepting people.... with a lot of humility. I tended to find the English and Irish like that, too. And Canadians would be on my list of folks to TEND to be nice.

BUT I did find that some in other countries seem to have a weird (and sometimes a bit offensive) obsession with the USA. I realize the USA is big and powerful (in EVERY sense - economically, militarialy, culturally)...and I think some resent that. We are big... and thus a big target. Some (especially the Danes and English) STILL speak of the USA's role in World War I and II... the Marshall Plan that rebuilt Europe after World War II... the USA's role in ending the Cold War... but other nations seem to have forgotten that. They embrace almost all things American (music, film, technology) while bashing what the USA contributes. They at times whine about the USA's influence (in English... on the internet) and at times can seem very obsessed and focused on the problems we have in the USA (and yes, there are a LOT to mention). But meanwhile... there seems to be very little interest in their own problems. After a few beers, a German WILL start to mention that wonderful countries problems.... a Frenchman after a LOT of glasses of wine might.... but that will be preceded too often by lengthly complaints about the USA. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." The many peoples of Europe can find unity in their criticisms of the USA..... English speaking Canadians and French speaking Canadians of all political parties find a refreshing commonality in knocking the country to the south. Serves a purpose for them. Seems fun for them. But sometimes, I think it might be more constructive if they spent that time on their OWN country... It might be most respectful for an American to say to a German "We honor your country and respect you to address the challenges of your country" and for Germans to say the same to Americans?

When I'm in a foreign country, I make a point to notice the good there.... and to mention that to the good people of that land. I don't tell Australians how to run their country or feel compelled to tell the Dutch of obvious problems in their midst. I'm not overly interested in the politics of other countries, mostly because it none of my business but also because I honor democracy and the right of people to govern themselves as they see fit. Some countries have very different policies, practices and institutions than I'm use to.... hey, that's their affair and if they like it, then great, good for them.

Top Bottom