Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The passage that was talked about today in church in scripture is in Genesis 12:8 where it says that Abram called upon the name of the Lord.
the whole passage from the sermon was Genesisi 12:5-20. This is what verse 8 says:

8 "From there he went on toward the hills east of Bethel and pitched his tent, with Bethel on the west and Ai on the east. There he built an altar to the Lord and called on the name of the Lord."

What confused me about this passage is that I am pretty sure that God told Moses that he had not previously revealed his name to Abram. He first revealed himself by his name "I am that I am" to Moses. So, I am confused about how Abram could call on God's name in Gen 12:8 if he didn't know God's name?

Last edited:

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
The passage that was talked about today in church in scripture is in Genesis 12:8 where it says that Abram called upon the name of the Lord.
the whole passage from the sermon was Genesisi 12:5-20. This is what verse 8 says:

8 "From there he went on toward the hills east of Bethel and pitched his tent, with Bethel on the west and Ai on the east. There he built an altar to the Lord and called on the name of the Lord."

What confused me about this passage is that I am pretty sure that God told Moses that he had not previously revealed his name to Abram. He first revealed himself by his name "I am that I am" to Moses. So, I am confused about how Abram could call on God's name in Gen 12:8 if he didn't know God's name?

Give the verses where God didn't reveal his name to Abram.

If Abram knew God, unless you're sayin he didn't, why are you confused that Abram called on the name of the LORD?

Lees

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Give the verses where God didn't reveal his name to Abram.

If Abram knew God, unless you're sayin he didn't, why are you confused that Abram called on the name of the LORD?

Lees
No confusion here. I'm just going by what scripture says

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

In scripture, to call upon the name of someone can mean to call out to them. It's not used exclusively in the sense that we today are always given a personal label at birth, what we call a "first name" and a "last name" (or surname) and maybe a middle name also. :)

Note that "I am that I am" coming from God himself isn't exactly a "name," either, as we use the term. It's more of a description. What's more, God also has other "names" given in scripture, such as "Jehovah," "El Shaddai," and "Adonai," to mention just a few. Is one and one only of these to be considered his real "name," to the exclusion of all others?

But even in our tongue, we use the word "name" to mean something other than a personal label. An example would be calling out to a burglar, "Stop in the name of the law!

Last edited:

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
In scripture, to call upon the name of someone can mean to call out to them. It's not used exclusively in the sense that we today are always given a personal label at birth, what we call a "first name" and a "last name" (or surname) and maybe a middle name also. :)

Note that "I am that I am" coming from God himself isn't exactly a "name," either, as we use the term. It's more of a description. What's more, God also has other "names" given in scripture, such as "Jehovah," "El Shaddai," and "Adonai," to mention just a few. Is one and one only of these to be considered his real "name," to the exclusion of all others?

But even in our tongue, we use the word "name" to mean something other than a personal label. An example would be calling out to a burglar, "Stop in the name of the law!
The pastor who preached the message I referred to earlier in this passage said that since many people believe Moses wrote Genesis that he added the name Yahweh or Jehovah into the text himself. But, I like your thoughts as well. thanks

Odë:hgöd

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
~
Ex 6:2-3 . . God also said to Moses, "I am the LORD. I appeared to Abraham, to
Isaac and to Jacob as God Almighty, but by my name the LORD I did not make
myself known to them.

The Hebrew word translated "LORD" can be spelled either YHVH or YHWH. The first
is usually pronounced Jehovah whereas the second is usually pronounced Yahweh

We can be reasonably certain that Abraham knew the existence of that name. For
example: Abraham called upon God by it in the 12th chapter of Genesis, plus he
instructed his servant to swear by it in the 24th chapter of Genesis during
preparations for seeking a bride for Isaac.

God's names are typically associated with special features. For example: Abraham
was far more familiar with God via the name El Shaddai because of his experience
with impossible promises, whereas Moses' people were more familiar with God via
Jehovah because of their experience with His incredible ability to rescue them from

impossible circumstances.
_

Last edited:

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
~
Ex 6:2-3 . . God also said to Moses, "I am the LORD. I appeared to Abraham, to
Isaac and to Jacob as God Almighty, but by my name the LORD I did not make
myself known to them.

The Hebrew word translated "LORD" can be spelled either YHVH or YHWH. The first
is usually pronounced Jehovah whereas the second is usually pronounced Yahweh

We can be reasonably certain that Abraham knew the existence of that name. For
example: Abraham called upon God by it in the 12th chapter of Genesis, plus he
instructed his servant to swear by it in the 24th chapter of Genesis during
preparations for seeking a bride for Isaac.

God's names are typically associated with special features. For example: Abraham
was far more familiar with God via the name El Shaddai because of his experience
with impossible promises, whereas Moses' people were more familiar with God via
Jehovah because of their experience with His incredible ability to rescue them from

impossible circumstances.
_
Your statement that Abraham knew that name seems to conflict with Exodus 6:2-3. "but by my name the Lord I did not make myself known to them."

Top Bottom