Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Who do you think Biden should pick as a vice president running mate? and would it matter it turns of if he wins or not?
I have heard names like Kamala Harris, Susan Rice, Elizabeth Warren and others talked about. I won't vote for him no matter who he picks, but won't vote for Trump either, so might write someone in if I decide to vote at all.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
He needs to select someone who doesn't outshine him.... and that will be extremely hard!

And that person needs to be

+ Black
+ Hispanic
+ Single
+ Female
+ Communist
+ Lesbian
+ Has had at least 4 abortions
+ Has a law degree from Harvard (although any Ivy League one might do)

All that and someone who makes Biden look young, smart, hip and engaged (or at least aware of where he is).

No one springs to my mind.

Last edited:

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Someone who makes Biden look young, smart and hip..... that seems to describe, well, most of the population of the US. Throw in "must not outshine him" and you just disqualified them all.

It still seems bizarre to me that the party that won't stop droning on about being inclusive underwent a primary process that shook out the women, the gay man, the non-white people and ended up with yet another old white rich guy only to then decide they were serious about diversity and that the VP must be a woman, preferably a non-white woman.

Someone more familiar with the details of US presidential limits can hopefully fill me in here. Is the rule that you can't serve more than two terms as president, or that you can't be elected more than twice? If the Biden/Whoever ticket wins in November and Biden is promptly declared unfit to govern and stands down, then Whoever becomes president having been elected as VP. Would they then be allowed to stand for president in their own right in 2024 and 2028, or would serving most of the 2020-2024 term disqualify them from standing in 2028?

Interestingly, if Trump loses in 2020 he could stand again in 2024. Whether he would or not is another matter, and if he stood it's hard to know if the establishment Republicans would block him.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Someone who makes Biden look young, smart and hip..... that seems to describe, well, most of the population of the US. Throw in "must not outshine him" and you just disqualified them all.

It still seems bizarre to me that the party that won't stop droning on about being inclusive underwent a primary process that shook out the women, the gay man, the non-white people and ended up with yet another old white rich guy only to then decide they were serious about diversity and that the VP must be a woman, preferably a non-white woman.

Someone more familiar with the details of US presidential limits can hopefully fill me in here. Is the rule that you can't serve more than two terms as president, or that you can't be elected more than twice? If the Biden/Whoever ticket wins in November and Biden is promptly declared unfit to govern and stands down, then Whoever becomes president having been elected as VP. Would they then be allowed to stand for president in their own right in 2024 and 2028, or would serving most of the 2020-2024 term disqualify them from standing in 2028?

Interestingly, if Trump loses in 2020 he could stand again in 2024. Whether he would or not is another matter, and if he stood it's hard to know if the establishment Republicans would block him.
A President may serve 2 4 year terms and 2 years of another President's term. This is stated in the 22nd amendment of the constitution. If a vice president served as President she or he could then serve a full 4 year term in their own right. But, that person could not serve more than ten years total.
I have a feeling that Biden is going to pick either Rice or Harris as his running mate, but we will see soon.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That makes sense, it would seem odd to allow someone to serve almost a full term and then stand for re-election twice.

If someone served two full terms as president could they still be elected as VP? That would seem to create an interesting situation, if the president were incapacitated and the VP got promoted but then had to stand down part way through the remainder of the term so as not to exceed 10 years. From the article you linked it looks like a person who served the remainder of a term that lasted more than 2 years can only stand for the office once but unless I missed something in the article it doesn't cover what might happen if a former president stood as VP.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That makes sense, it would seem odd to allow someone to serve almost a full term and then stand for re-election twice.

If someone served two full terms as president could they still be elected as VP? That would seem to create an interesting situation, if the president were incapacitated and the VP got promoted but then had to stand down part way through the remainder of the term so as not to exceed 10 years. From the article you linked it looks like a person who served the remainder of a term that lasted more than 2 years can only stand for the office once but unless I missed something in the article it doesn't cover what might happen if a former president stood as VP.
I don't think that would be possible since one of the main needs is for the vice president to step in if the President became incapitated.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It still seems bizarre to me that the party that won't stop droning on about being inclusive underwent a primary process that shook out the women, the gay man, the non-white people and ended up with yet another old white rich guy

Yeah.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't think that would be possible since one of the main needs is for the vice president to step in if the President became incapitated.

Unless a presidential incapacitation would simply result in the next in line taking office. I remember when GWB was president there was discussion over the line of succession because one of the senior officials (I think it was Madeleine Albright but can't be sure) was a foreign national and therefore ineligible to be president, and so her normal place in the line of succession would simply be forfeit.

.... which leads to an interesting question. You have to be a natural born citizen to be president but if your place in the line of succession can be passed over, do you have to be a natural born citizen to be VP?

Top Bottom