Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
but not as His birthday although if you want to hang on to December fine by me just know that it isnt based on fact

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
but not as His birthday although if you want to hang on to December fine by me just know that it isnt based on fact

No birthday feast is mentioned in holy scripture. Nevertheless celebrating the incarnation and first advent of the Lord is a good idea :)

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't see why pagan festivities in December rule out December as the month in which the Lord was born. Can you explain how that works?

It doesn't rule it out, although on re-reading my post I can see how it could have come across as saying that it did.

Personally I think the fact that Jesus Christ was born as a man is infinitely more significant than when he was born. But for those who are really interested the most obvious way to figure out when would seem to be to look at Biblical and historical accounts to try and determine things like when the census took place. If it transpires that a best guess is December 25 then so be it, but to insist that because we've always sung "Christ was born today" on December 25 it must be true makes no sense.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The holy scriptures point more to December than to some other (arbitrary) month. The only objections I've seen to December are
  1. That it has pagan associations - which is a complete irrelevance.
  2. That it is too cold in Bethlehem in December to have shepherds watching their flock by night in the fields and that is just incorrect.
But we do have more than 1,700 years of tradition locating the Lord's birth in December (in our Calendar).

Which scriptures point to December?

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for all of your participation in this thread.

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It is a feast that the Lord Jesus Christ observed as holy.& quote /
There is the festival mentioned in the gospel according to saint John in chapter ten around verse twenty two.

It is a feast that the Lord Jesus Christ observed as holy..?! where ?

i read in chapter 8 the lord went to the temple to teach the people ..in chapter 9 he goes about the temple and surrounding areas teaching and healing ..in chapter 10 he continues to do so.. then in a single verse it states what time of years it was stating that it was at the time of the time of dedication ..
and NO time does it EVER say .. the lord jesus went to the temple for the express purpose of observing the fests of dedication .

all its says is "22 And it was at Jerusalem the feast of the dedication, and it was winter."- that's it folks - .. a verse to note the time period in which all these other things were being taught and done by the lord .

to build the a doctrine around that is yet ANOTHER (there are so many ) case of rome using the most ambiguous versus out of context to shore up non biblical teachings . to use that verse as evidence of dec25 being a correct birthday is both dishonest and so out of context with the entirety of the scriptures it can only be considered shameful to use it .

to come out and say "it is a feast the lord observed as holy .. when the scriptures says no such thing .. -- really ? . cut it out .

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
It is a feast that the Lord Jesus Christ observed as holy..?! where ?

John 10:22-38 (22) And it was the feast of the dedication at Jerusalem: (23) it was winter; and Jesus was walking in the temple in Solomon's porch. (24) The Jews therefore came round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou hold us in suspense? If thou art the Christ, tell us plainly. (25) Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believe not: the works that I do in my Father's name, these bear witness of me. (26) But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep. (27) My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: (28) and I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, and no one shall snatch them out of my hand. (29) My Father, who hath given them unto me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. (30) I and the Father are one. (31) The Jews took up stones again to stone him. (32) Jesus answered them, Many good works have I showed you from the Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? (33) The Jews answered him, For a good work we stone thee not, but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. (34) Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? (35) If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came (and the scripture cannot be broken), (36) say ye of him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God? (37) If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. (38) But if I do them, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Which scriptures point to December?

none actually ..

thats what he meant to say.

i dont know when he was born but when he was conceived .. the approximate time .. can be roughly calculated as 6 months after john the baptist .. due to the fact the high preist (johns dad) entered the holy place once a year at a very particular time of the year - the rest is simple math
conceived 6 months after john .. born 9 months after that, according to the time of a woman's term, which seems to give an approximate of either our sep/october or our april(passover in jewish calendar )
we also know he begane public ministry at 30 years old as was crucified at pass over approximately 3 . 5 years later .. making him 33.5 years old .. do the math backward 33.5 years from the passover .. and the one time you can never arrive at ..is december 25 .

ok that was probably the roughest presentation of it all ever given hah . but there are some great sites on the web where its all been calculated far better then im presenting it . but i don't study them too hard as im not overly concerned with when he wa born .. but far more interested in his return :)

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
John 10:22-38 (22) And it was the feast of the dedication at Jerusalem: (23) it was winter; and Jesus was walking in the temple in Solomon's porch. (24) The Jews therefore came round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou hold us in suspense? If thou art the Christ, tell us plainly. (25) Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believe not: the works that I do in my Father's name, these bear witness of me. (26) But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep. (27) My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: (28) and I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, and no one shall snatch them out of my hand. (29) My Father, who hath given them unto me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. (30) I and the Father are one. (31) The Jews took up stones again to stone him. (32) Jesus answered them, Many good works have I showed you from the Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? (33) The Jews answered him, For a good work we stone thee not, but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. (34) Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? (35) If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came (and the scripture cannot be broken), (36) say ye of him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God? (37) If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. (38) But if I do them, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.

i read in chapter 8 the lord went to the temple to teach the people ..in chapter 9 he goes about the temple and surrounding areas teaching and healing ..in chapter 10 he continues to do so.. then in a single verse it states what time of years it was stating that it was at the time of the time of dedication ..
and NO time does it EVER say .. the lord jesus went to the temple for the express purpose of observing the fests of dedication .

all its says is "22 And it was at Jerusalem the feast of the dedication, and it was winter."- that's it folks - .. a verse to note the time period in which all these other things were being taught and done by the lord .

to build the a doctrine around that is yet ANOTHER (there are so many ) case of rome using the most ambiguous versus out of context to shore up non biblical teachings . to use that verse as evidence of dec25 being a correct birthday is both dishonest and so out of context with the entirety of the scriptures it can only be considered shameful to use it .

to come out and say "it is a feast the lord observed as holy .. when the scriptures says no such thing .. -- really ? . cut it out .

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Jesus went to Jerusalem for the feast. It may not suit the view of anti-christmas advocates but there it is in their bibles.

December is not some sort of cursed wicked month and the annunciation (in March) and the nativity (in December) fits the birth narratives in the three synoptic gospels.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Really, how does it fit? Seems to me that there is absolutely no evidence for December other than tradition.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Really, how does it fit? Seems to me that there is absolutely no evidence for December other than tradition.

The annunciation is in March, the nativity is nine months later in December. All fits very well.

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Jesus went to Jerusalem for the feast. It may not suit the view of anti-christmas advocates but there it is in their bibles.

December is not some sort of cursed wicked month and the annunciation (in March) and the nativity (in December) fits the birth narratives in the three synoptic gospels.

Tut tut apply some honesty please.
It does not say "jesus went there for the feast of dedication. "
All it says is that he was there doing what he did..teaching and healing.. At that time.

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

In case ya missed it in all its ambiguity

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Tut tut apply some honesty please.
It does not say "jesus went there for the feast of dedication. "
All it says is that he was there doing what he did..teaching and healing.. At that time.

Would that you applied the same level of scepticism to the doctrine you've spruiked in here.

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Lol i havnt stated a doctrine only pointed out how extremly unliky he was born in december and pointed out recently that the bible does not say he went to jerusalam expressly to keep the feast of dedication.it only says he was there at that time..and it was winter.
No need to attack my person thanks.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Lol i havnt stated a doctrine only pointed out how extremly unliky he was born in december and pointed out recently that the bible does not say he went to jerusalam expressly to keep the feast of dedication.it only says he was there at that time..and it was winter.
No need to attack my person thanks.

Surely you have a doctrine to teach else why bother with all this at all; if it truly is a matter of indifference then December is as good as any month, right?

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
excuse my sarcasm .. is it because we must defend our tradition because tradition is more important then.. .. ouh say .. the word of God ?

when all our traditions have crumbled the word of god will stand eternal .and those who taught in opposition to his word without repentance will be ashamed eternally

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
excuse my sarcasm .. is it because we must defend our tradition because tradition is more important then.. .. ouh say .. the word of God ?

when all our traditions have crumbled the word of god will stand eternal .and those who taught in opposition to his word without repentance will be ashamed eternally

But you keep saying that the bible does not say which month so how can December be contrary to holy scripture?Surely you're not claiming that holy scripture excludes December, are you?

Top Bottom