Not open for further replies.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Wondering what I'm doing at work. We were notified on the 16th that the funding for our program was cancelled, and we were given three weeks notice. According to the labor laws, my employer could have given us severance equal to the three weeks. I've done nothing related to my job for the last week and a half. What am I doing at work? At least I have insurance until the 9th so I can get new glasses... :dunno:

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Busy morning for me. I was preparing to pull down some more wall when I got a call from the church because they had a computer issue. So I finished moving the furniture to let me get at the wall, then fixed the church computer issue, then pulled down the piece of wall I had my eyes on. By then I'd got to a point where I could barely move in the room so I hauled six bags of rubble out to where the rest of them are. Seeing how much there was I figured I might as well take it to the landfill, so took the back seats out of my wife's car and loaded it up.

Turned out I had 560lb of rubble, drywall etc. That brings my total for this project to about 1.5 tons. There were a couple of other bits I wanted to take but couldn't get them in the car without balancing them in a way that could have been dangerous, so I figured they could wait until next time. Hopefully next time will be a little while yet, but you never know....

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
...By then I'd got to a point where I could barely move in the room so I hauled six bags of rubble out to where the rest of them are. Seeing how much there was I figured I might as well take it to the landfill, so took the back seats out of my wife's car and loaded it up...

Wife's feelings about this? :D

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Wife's feelings about this? :D

She's happy with it. I always use a tarp to protect the interior and give it a good clean out after I'm done (and even put the seats back in for her). It ends up cleaner than it started, so she's happy.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Spent some time filling the worst of the gaps in the brickwork that's exposed now I've pulled the wall down. There are a few that are very narrow so I'm not sure what I'm going to do there, maybe chip away the very corners of the blocks so I've got something more to press cement into.

Then I figured I was going to need to move one of the electrical outlets so did that too. One of the cables leading away from it is disconnected (when I took another socket out) but when I did that work I put insulating tape over the ends and marked it so I knew the coiled up cable was still live. Now I've disconnected both ends, so tomorrow maybe I'll pull it out and then it can go in my box of dead cable.

Now it's time to rest for the remainder of the day. Time for a shower and then a beer in front of the TV. I feel like I've earned it today.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Relaxing. I went to the dentist...no cavities so I'm happy :)

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes
Studying. I did some research earlier on the Lutheran Reformation, but now I'm looking at the various Graduate Record Exam study guides that are free online.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Browsing/posting and thinking about taking a nap. :sleeping: (been up since 3am!) :sleep3:

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Wishing I was out enjoying the sun. My job could have given me severance in lieu of three weeks notice, but the up-shot is I still have benefits for another week and a half. Time for new glasses and to see the dentist.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Today I did precisely no work on the house. I took a brief peek into the latest room to get trashed with the thermal camera, and noticed nothing unexpected. So I set about applying a seemingly endless succession of updates to the new cellphones I ordered for my wife and I. They probably downloaded something like 3GB of updates each, but now it's all done and all our data is transferred. Our old phones still kinda work, although mine is at a stage where its best use is as a means of adding expletives to an otherwise calm evening. The new phones are an older model, discounted by 40% from the original price, so I assume they are either discontinued or soon to be discontinued. But that's fine, I don't need the latest-and-greatest.

It feels strange to have done no work on the house at all today. Yesterday I did a bit of cementing indoors, and a bit of caulking outdoors. I noticed the caulking around the windows has perished in many places, so set about replacing it with some white silicone. That should help cut out a few more cold drafts.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It has been a busy and productive day. I saw five kids today for therapy and made a referral for one to day treatment and also went to staffing. Tomorrow I see kids at the early college and an elementary school.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Struggling to get motivated to do much of anything today. I did a small amount of fixing my wall and pondered a couple of other aspects of fixing up that room but that's about it. One of the least productive days I've had in a while.... but they happen.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to close up the tops of my walls - they are hollow concrete block and I don't want to do all this insulation work only to find that in the winter the tops are open so the cold air can get straight into them from inside the attic. At present I'm thinking a small wad of fiberglass poked into the top, with building foam sprayed on top of it to keep water out. Then I just need to figure the best way to physically get at everything. I fear I'm going to have to pull the ceiling down although, in fairness, it could do with replacing.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Atm, letting my fingers relax a bit from playing piano.

Jazz chord sequences/progressions are an area of working improvement, as I have spent only a small fraction of my playing time all these years doing them, opting instead for mostly classical/baroque. As such, they represent a challenge - coming up with them and finding a way to remember them easily.

Some figured bass is helping here. Chord/position of chord and any chromatic chords (chords not belonging to the key and don't precede a key change). Remember the sequence, now do it in a new key.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Drinking really bad tasting beer.

I didn't want to drink it, and the fact that it tastes bad was extra reason not to. But after a few hours of tossing and turning and just not being able to sleep, here I am, working my way into an alcohol induced state so I can go to sleep. I should have had some ganja earlier instead. Meh.

Bad taste is the consequence of an adjunct I don't normally add to beer - corn malt. Not just corn modified into sugar with enzymes, but proper malt, though missing a step. What I neglected to do (as is necessary for this type of grain, I've discovered) is to dry it properly after it has malted so as to be able to easily remove roots and acrospire. Corn malt is sweet (the acrospire the sweetest, the corn itself only partially) when the acrospire is about twice the length of the grain (differs from barley in this size respect for malting). Sweet, though with a really bitter aftertaste that is unpleasant. Had I dried the grain I could have easily removed the acrospire and roots, but as my dehydrator kicked the bucket a few weeks back, I have no present way to do this. So I just ground it all up, brought it up to temp then after a brief mash, added it to the wort that was already there, hoping the acrid bitter taste would not dominate. Yech.

I hate when I can't sleep.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Drinking really bad tasting beer.

I didn't want to drink it, and the fact that it tastes bad was extra reason not to. But after a few hours of tossing and turning and just not being able to sleep, here I am, working my way into an alcohol induced state so I can go to sleep. I should have had some ganja earlier instead. Meh.

Bad taste is the consequence of an adjunct I don't normally add to beer - corn malt. Not just corn modified into sugar with enzymes, but proper malt, though missing a step. What I neglected to do (as is necessary for this type of grain, I've discovered) is to dry it properly after it has malted so as to be able to easily remove roots and acrospire. Corn malt is sweet (the acrospire the sweetest, the corn itself only partially) when the acrospire is about twice the length of the grain (differs from barley in this size respect for malting). Sweet, though with a really bitter aftertaste that is unpleasant. Had I dried the grain I could have easily removed the acrospire and roots, but as my dehydrator kicked the bucket a few weeks back, I have no present way to do this. So I just ground it all up, brought it up to temp then after a brief mash, added it to the wort that was already there, hoping the acrid bitter taste would not dominate. Yech.

I hate when I can't sleep.
I take Ambien it helps me fall asleep and then when I wake up during the night it helps put right back out. It's not advised but sometimes I might take a tiny swig of Nyquil to help induce sleep. I used to smoke weed at night to relax me into sleep but unfortunately it's illegal and I don't run around looking for it anymore. Insomnia is torment, maybe we aren't supposed to sleep much, perhaps 4 hours is enough :/ I got used to it before when I worked nights, lay off caffeine.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I finished my notes for work today and took a nap after going to church. I noticed one of the churches in my town has a new pastor, so I went to hear his message

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I finished my notes for work today and took a nap after going to church. I noticed one of the churches in my town has a new pastor, so I went to hear his message
Was it good?

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Fun and games with walls and floors today.

Firstly I pulled down another part of a wall to figure out where another draft is coming from. I was expecting to find gaps in the walls that held joists but found instead that my joists appear to be suspended on skyhooks. It's far from clear just what is supporting the floor in that particular room because nothing makes a whole lot of sense.

But along the way I filled a few more gaps, identified which way the joists supporting the floor run, cut a few pieces of flooring away so I could look into wall cavities, filled a few more holes in the wall, stuffed some fiberglass into a few gaps, and overall made the room a little warmer.

Now I need to figure out if it's safe to cut away the studs I wanted to remove in order to reframe the wall, or if that's likely to result in upstairs becoming downstairs. Short of a "suck it and see" approach, which could go badly wrong very fast, I'm not sure how to work that one out.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
saw my diabetes doctor today. We are starting a weekly shot this coming Saturday. I then went to the gym and ran four miles and did weights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom