Not open for further replies.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Well, the contract got pulled for my position at work, so it'll be ending in three weeks. Here we go again :p

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well, the contract got pulled for my position at work, so it'll be ending in three weeks. Here we go again :p

Prayers you find something fast!

Eating ice cream and looking through Netflix for something to watch.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Prayers you find something fast!

Eating ice cream and looking through Netflix for something to watch.

Thanks, I hope so.

Btw, Are those your lamb slippers?

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Just got home from work. Still have notes to do, but don't feel like it today. I'm on pace to have my most productive week this month

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Winding down ready for bed. I just got done moving my laptop into the guest bedroom, and clearing a path to the guest bed so I can sleep. I'm sleeping in the guest bedroom for a while - since I've been doing so much thinking about how to deal with this project my sleep has been disturbed, so until I can sleep right through the night again I'm giving my wife a chance to get a good night's sleep without me tossing and turning.

I hadn't expected to have to move furniture in the guest bedroom as well as in the study, which added another delay to what I wanted to do. But I did get my angle grinder out and cut some strips of concrete so at least I've got a head start if I need them (which I probably will).

I also did a lot of reading about asbestos. A friend asked me, out of the blue, about asbestos in my wall plaster. I hadn't even considered it so spent hours reading to try and figure if I do have it. So far I've concluded I don't, based on the overall lack of fiber in the plaster and the fact that what few fibers are there, are brown (suggesting horse hair rather than asbestos fibers). But because along the way I read about other hazards, I went out and bought a better quality particulate filter for when I am pulling down walls. It makes me look like something out of a scifi movie, but the combination of a HEPA-enabled respirator and HEPA filtration in my cleanup process means this job shouldn't spread out into the house.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Thanks, I hope so.

Btw, Are those your lamb slippers?

LOL Nope but they're cute aren't they? I spend a lot of time combing the internet for cute lamb pics to use as my avatars.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Morning Bible reading, checking in here briefly before eating breakfast and getting on with a bunch of stuff. Got friends coming for dinner, so need to have my work done and get cleaned up beforehand.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Quick drink break from moving everything around.

Needless to say even moving things isn't easy in this house. An antique dresser has a big mirror on the back of it, which is attached with screws in about the most inaccessible places imaginable. Short of screwing into the bottom of the unit it's hard to see how they could have made it more awkward. But now the mirror is in the attic out of harm's way.

I also found what looks like an ancient telephone point, that was still connected to something. Some genius drilled a hole through the window trim to run the cable through it. That probably explains some of the drafts in that room - I'm expecting to find the cable goes outside without any sealing, or something stupid like that.

At least now there is space to move the rest of the furniture, so I can clear the wall and get everything taped shut and covered with dust sheets. My laptop is set up and working in another room (it's a laptop but I use an external monitor, external keyboard, external hard drives etc). We have friends coming this evening but with any luck I can at least be ready to start the demolition tomorrow morning, if I don't get to get started this afternoon.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm now almost ready to start the demolition in my study. Everything is moved away from the wall, the furniture is under dust sheets, drawers are taped shut (both to keep them shut, and to keep dust out) even when they are under dust sheets (I really don't want dust in there!), the closet in the room is sealed up with tape, and the window trim is removed. My shop vac with dust separator and HEPA filter is ready, my pry bars are ready, and my pile of empty polypropylene bags is ready. I need one more tool to cut the laths off at the end of the wall, and I need to get my respirator fitted.

I'm going to take a break from it until tomorrow when I can get up and spend the whole day destroying, without having to worry about getting cleaned up for any particular time and having two runs at tracking dust through the house. I'm hoping it's really cold tonight so I can take some "before" thermal images to pair with the "after" version, which I'm expecting will be early next week. It will be fun trying to figure out how to get 8x4 insulation panels through the house from where they are stacked into the study, and how to support them in the study while I cut them to size. For now, I just want the wall pulled down and taken away.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Demolition well underway. One entire wall more or less pulled down, and about 5 feet of an adjacent wall has also come down. I was expecting it to be entirely lath-and-plaster but it turned out the house was extended at some point in the past and so the lath-and-plaster gave way to concrete which gave way to drywall. Which is handy in that it came down faster but a nuisance in that it doesn't lend itself to being bagged up and carried out easily. Rather than haul it through the house I plan to drop it out of the window.

I also found why it's so cold in that room. One particular corner was the worst, and it turns out when the house was extended they rested the joists that support the attic onto the wall and what they put between the inside and outside was.... nothing. Yep.... big chunks of daylight visible from inside. The roof protects it from rain and what protects it from cold is.... nothing. So now the walls are pulled down it's going to get properly cold in there tonight, and then tomorrow after church I'll get in there with the fiberglass, and the cement to close up the numerous gaps between the concrete blocks.

I'd really like to get in there now and start fixing the issues but need the piles of drywall out of the way. The options are to either carry them through the house, leaving trails of debris behind me, or drop them out of the window onto the driveway and gather them up from there. I'm not yet sure which option I prefer.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
finished my notes for work a little while ago and now sitting down to watch Daytona 500

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Well my room dropped as low as 48 degrees overnight, which was nowhere near as bad as I expected. Tomorrow I plan to shift the pieces of drywall out of there and haul them to the landfill. I'd rather not be making a trip to landfill given I don't have enough to justify the minimum charge but I need the drywall out of my way. I think I've got 7 bags of rubble, a pile of drywall, and 6-8 window weights, so there will be a fair amount of stuff there. Once that's gone I can get my cement in there and start patching up the gaps in the wall.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Another asbestos bullet dodged. I was afraid about disturbing my ceiling tiles because of the possibility of asbestos in them, but then remembered we'd found a box with some spare tiles in the attic. I checked the manufacturer and managed to confirm that their ceiling tiles do not have, and never have had, asbestos in them.

I also came across some further information that dated the extension work on the house more specifically and therefore also dates the drywall, which confirms my previous belief that it predated the use of asbestos. Previously I had a good idea of when the work was probably done, and it turned out it was slightly earlier than I thought. So I'm feeling very relieved right now :)

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
A busy morning of cleaning up and repairing.

Firstly I shifted the piles of bits of wall out of the room I've been working on. The bags of rubble went to be with the others, then a couple of bags of smaller pieces of drywall went to join them. There were enough larger pieces that I didn't fancy endless trips up and down stairs, kicking the cat out of the way at least once with each trip, so I shut him in the kitchen while I got a tarp in place, weighted down, marked so anyone coming onto the driveway would know of the hazard, then dumped it out of the window onto the tarp. Once it was all out of the way I went down to the tarp and cleared it all away. So now my driveway is free of obstructions once more.

Next I ran the shop vac over as much of the floor as I could sensibly get at (which was a lot more than before I shifted the debris out of the way). The floor has changed from being a general gray color to being the brown of the wood floor, with a few gray patches where I've trodden dust into the wood. The wood floor is in a really bad shape so I'm expecting to replace all of it as part of the renovation.

Then I set about fixing up the numerous gaps in the mortar in the wall. This wall is the worst I've seen so far. It's structurally sound - I'm not worried about my house falling down around me - but the number of gaps in the mortar is remarkable. Gaps around the window, gaps right through the brickwork, and a lot of them. I even found one half brick (that had been cut when the house was extended) that wasn't securely fixed to anything. I could literally wobble the inner face of it, and see the outer face of it wobble too. So that is going to take a bit of attention to address. Thankfully it's high enough that it's under the roof canopy and rain won't get at it unless the wind is blowing quite hard, but I was surprised to see such a nasty piece of brickwork.

I found that one of the air gaps right through to the outside looks like it's simply perished caulking around a window. I can fix that from inside, then fill the space behind it with building foam and fiberglass to keep the cold air out.

Hopefully this afternoon I can get most of the rest of this wall fixed up, and maybe make a start on the adjacent wall. Then I need to decide whether to work with the studs I've got there (not in great shape, but operational), or to remove them and reframe the entire wall. I'm leaning towards a total reframe - at least that way I'll know everything is straight and spaces between the studs are as they should be. It's curious to find a space slightly over four feet wide with only a single stud, not quite in the middle of it.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
A busy morning of cleaning up and repairing.

Firstly I shifted the piles of bits of wall out of the room I've been working on. The bags of rubble went to be with the others, then a couple of bags of smaller pieces of drywall went to join them. There were enough larger pieces that I didn't fancy endless trips up and down stairs, kicking the cat out of the way at least once with each trip, so I shut him in the kitchen while I got a tarp in place, weighted down, marked so anyone coming onto the driveway would know of the hazard, then dumped it out of the window onto the tarp. Once it was all out of the way I went down to the tarp and cleared it all away. So now my driveway is free of obstructions once more.

Next I ran the shop vac over as much of the floor as I could sensibly get at (which was a lot more than before I shifted the debris out of the way). The floor has changed from being a general gray color to being the brown of the wood floor, with a few gray patches where I've trodden dust into the wood. The wood floor is in a really bad shape so I'm expecting to replace all of it as part of the renovation.

Then I set about fixing up the numerous gaps in the mortar in the wall. This wall is the worst I've seen so far. It's structurally sound - I'm not worried about my house falling down around me - but the number of gaps in the mortar is remarkable. Gaps around the window, gaps right through the brickwork, and a lot of them. I even found one half brick (that had been cut when the house was extended) that wasn't securely fixed to anything. I could literally wobble the inner face of it, and see the outer face of it wobble too. So that is going to take a bit of attention to address. Thankfully it's high enough that it's under the roof canopy and rain won't get at it unless the wind is blowing quite hard, but I was surprised to see such a nasty piece of brickwork.

I found that one of the air gaps right through to the outside looks like it's simply perished caulking around a window. I can fix that from inside, then fill the space behind it with building foam and fiberglass to keep the cold air out.

Hopefully this afternoon I can get most of the rest of this wall fixed up, and maybe make a start on the adjacent wall. Then I need to decide whether to work with the studs I've got there (not in great shape, but operational), or to remove them and reframe the entire wall. I'm leaning towards a total reframe - at least that way I'll know everything is straight and spaces between the studs are as they should be. It's curious to find a space slightly over four feet wide with only a single stud, not quite in the middle of it.

I'm getting worn out just reading all this

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Tango is a hard worker!!

I'm just reading on my Kindle :D

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm getting worn out just reading all this

I spent most of the afternoon playing with cement, as expected. So far today I've gone through about 15lb of the stuff, patching gaps in the walls and replacing areas of cement where it was very thin, which was the case across a depressingly large part of the wall. The brick that was entirely loose has cement on three sides on the inside, slowly drying out. Many other gaps are filled, and drying out. I put some fresh silicone around the window frame to block that draft, and managed to get my pointing trowel into a space beside the window to fill a small gap in the outer surface, from the inside (that was handy, as it meant I didn't need to be outside in the rain).

Subjective assessment - it doesn't feel anywhere near as chilly in there as it did this morning.

Objective assessment - as the afternoon wore on and the sun set, the temperature in the room rose from 50 degrees to 55 degrees. This is a room with no heater in it except for me and an LED light bulb.

Hopefully by morning the cement will have dried out and I can see how cold it gets in there. I can also run a load more thermal images to see how well I'm doing so far. There are still a couple of larger gaps that will need to be filled (probably with a piece of concrete and cement, and/or a load of building foam. I suspect probably both), and a few gaps that are difficult to get to because of the wall studs. Just another reason to consider removing the studs and reframing the entire wall.

Now I feel quite tired. I've left the room closed up to minimise the amount of heat getting in there from the landing because I want to see how cold it will get overnight. I think I've fixed up most of the issues with the areas of the wall I've exposed, and it will be interesting to see if the temperature figures in the morning confirm that.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I went to the gym tonight and ran 3.4 miles. I am thinking about running in a 5k in March. Then maybe a 10k this summer

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I went to the gym tonight and ran 3.4 miles. I am thinking about running in a 5k in March. Then maybe a 10k this summer

You should try one! Where I used to live there was a race probably every week in the area! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom