Pot smoking older teen?

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
No
Perhaps that might depend on the individual... some certainly need to bottom out but cutting someone off completely doesn't exactly leave the door open to talking to them when they realise they do need help.
AA knows what they are doing. The kid needs to crash and suffer the results before he will ever consider relying on God who can help him.

Did you know Martin Luther says the same thing about salvation?

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
AA knows what they are doing. The kid needs to crash and suffer the results before he will ever consider relying on God who can help him.

I'm sure AA has got a good idea of how to help addicts, I'm just saying that a one-size-fits-all approach often doesn't fit very well.

Did you know Martin Luther says the same thing about salvation?

Does that mean all the people in church who haven't hit some kind of rock bottom, spiritually speaking, aren't saved?

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
I'm sure AA has got a good idea of how to help addicts, I'm just saying that a one-size-fits-all approach often doesn't fit very well.

Does that mean all the people in church who haven't hit some kind of rock bottom, spiritually speaking, aren't saved?

Martin Luther says;

First, God has promised certainly His grace to the humbled: that is, to the self-deploring and despairing. But a man cannot be thoroughly humbled, until he comes to know that his salvation is utterly beyond his own powers, counsel, endeavours, will, and works, and absolutely depending on the will, counsel, pleasure, and work of another, that is, of God only. For if, as long as he has any persuasion that he can do even the least thing himself towards his own salvation, he retain a confidence in himself and do not utterly despair in himself, so long he is not humbled before God; but he proposes to himself some place, some time, or some work, whereby he may at length attain unto salvation. But he who hesitates not to depend wholly upon the good-will of God, he totally despairs in himself, chooses nothing for himself, but waits for God to work in him; and such an one, is the nearest unto grace, that he might be saved.

These things, therefore, are openly proclaimed for the sake of the Elect: that, being by these means humbled and brought down to nothing, they might be saved. The rest resist this humiliation; nay, they condemn the teaching of self-desperation; they wish to have left a little something that they may do themselves. These secretly remain proud, and adversaries to the grace of God. This, I say, is one reason—that those who fear God, being humbled, might know, call upon, and receive the grace of God.[1]

Bondage of the Will by Martin Luther

[1] Martin Luther. (n.d.). The Bondage of the Will.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No

Most church people trust in their own works to save them. How so? They believe in Free Will and their own powers to "meet the conditions" for salvation whenever they choose. The problem? There are no conditions. Salvation is by grace alone.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
Perhaps that might depend on the individual... some certainly need to bottom out but cutting someone off completely doesn't exactly leave the door open to talking to them when they realise they do need help.
You can help the Devil destroy the person by catering to him. Or you can let him reach a state of misery where he trusts in God having heard you point the way.

1689Dave

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No
What fellowship has light with darkness?

Top Bottom