Pet peeves about what others post

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
There are some things that really bother me about what others post. Do you have any pet peeves about that?

I'll start, the first thing that bothers me about people's posts is when they never spell check their messages. In my opinion they look stupid when they constantly misspell words and don't correct them!!!:smash:

I guess I need to pray for more tolerance!!:roll:

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There are some things that really bother me about what others post. Do you have any pet peeves about that?

I'll start, the first thing that bothers me about people's posts is when they never spell check their messages. In my opinion they look stupid when they constantly misspell words and don't correct them!!!:smash:

I guess I need to pray for more tolerance!!:roll:

I find it irritating when people don't use capital letters or punctuation. Misuse of homonyms (you're / your, their / they're / there, etc) also irritate me. I find it quite remarkable that people who learn English as a foreign language usually strive to get it right while those who speak English as their first language (and typically don't know any other languages at all) simply assume that their readers should figure out what they are trying to say.

Throw in the increasing tendency to write in text-speak or to simply write the words that might be spoken and the end result becomes increasingly difficult to untangle. For example:

i was talking to my teacher the other day he asked if i wanted to stay late i said no and was like why would i want to do that because he should no i was at class all day and i couldnt go home becuase their was nobody to drive me

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I find it irritating when people don't use capital letters or punctuation. Misuse of homonyms (you're / your, their / they're / there, etc) also irritate me. I find it quite remarkable that people who learn English as a foreign language usually strive to get it right while those who speak English as their first language (and typically don't know any other languages at all) simply assume that their readers should figure out what they are trying to say.

Throw in the increasing tendency to write in text-speak or to simply write the words that might be spoken and the end result becomes increasingly difficult to untangle. For example:

i was talking to my teacher the other day he asked if i wanted to stay late i said no and was like why would i want to do that because he should no i was at class all day and i couldnt go home becuase their was nobody to drive me

Yeah, that is irritating, too. How about those who use capital letters all the time? That drives me mad.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yeah, that is irritating, too. How about those who use capital letters all the time? That drives me mad.

I Know WHat You Mean Ruth :p

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
At the math help site I help admin, we don't allow text/leet-speak, or all caps (shouting). But what annoys me much more is that so many users will post a question, show no work so we can see where they are stuck, and most times one of the helpers will post a suggestion on how to get started, but they are never heard from again. Or a user will ask for help, and a great deal of effort is given to help, and then at the end they so, "Oh, I forgot! We are also to consider..." Also annoying is when a problem is posted, and you solve the problem, and then post a suggestion, but they come back 3 weeks later, long after the problem has been forgotten, so you have to become familiar with it all over again.

When I first got involved with online math help, I wondered why so many of the helpers seemed crabby...now I completely understand. :rotfl:

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
At the math help site I help admin, we don't allow text/leet-speak, or all caps (shouting). But what annoys me much more is that so many users will post a question, show no work so we can see where they are stuck, and most times one of the helpers will post a suggestion on how to get started, but they are never heard from again. Or a user will ask for help, and a great deal of effort is given to help, and then at the end they so, "Oh, I forgot! We are also to consider..." Also annoying is when a problem is posted, and you solve the problem, and then post a suggestion, but they come back 3 weeks later, long after the problem has been forgotten, so you have to become familiar with it all over again.

When I first got involved with online math help, I wondered why so many of the helpers seemed crabby...now I completely understand. :rotfl:

Yes, I remember many years ago (back when usenet was considered cutting edge) the standard decorum was to post details of a problem and what steps you had already tried to solve it yourself.

Sadly now that the internet has reached into the lives of just about everyone it's full of people who just expect a free lunch. Why bother to make any effort yourself when you can just ask a question online and an army of workers do everything for you, free of charge?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I get annoyed when people respond without first reading thoroughly the post they're responding to!

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I get annoyed when people respond without first reading thoroughly the post they're responding to!

I'm not sure I understand. Can you explain what you get annoyed about? :)

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
I get annoyed when people quote a huge post in its entirety in order to reply to one point in that post. :eek:

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
I had this problem elsewhere. Please do not read a post where I make several points, then glom on to one word in the post, misrepresenting the whole post based on that one word.
Example: "I don't believe that it is correct to generalize all men or all women as being arrogant or passive/submissive. Everyone is an individual and has different personal strengths ans weaknesses"
Answer: What do you mean by "Generalize"? Is that what you do? You'd better clarify what you mean by generalize before this conversation goes any further!

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
SPELL CHECK, MAN, SPELL CHECK!!!!!!!!!!! :p (and there's a comma before "Ruth"!)

Nothing rong with mi speling. It's Just That I ENded Up With A Double CApital Letter Where None Was Really Required.

Sorry, about, the, missing, comma, I, Hope, this, sentence, makes, amends :)

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I had this problem elsewhere. Please do not read a post where I make several points, then glom on to one word in the post, misrepresenting the whole post based on that one word.
Example: "I don't believe that it is correct to generalize all men or all women as being arrogant or passive/submissive. Everyone is an individual and has different personal strengths ans weaknesses"
Answer: What do you mean by "Generalize"? Is that what you do? You'd better clarify what you mean by generalize before this conversation goes any further!

Did you want to talk about your problem? We're here to help :)

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

Yes, I find this type of thing irritating also. I hate it when people misuse to, two, and too. I hate it when people incorrectly use your and you're, their and they're. I don't mind typos that much because sometimes I make those, but if I catch it, I will edit and correct it.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
Other common errors are the confusion of than/then and lose/loose. I do consider it pedantic for people to call others out publicly for such errors, but woe be unto the person who criticizes the spelling/grammar of another, and in doing so, makes a blunder of their own. Example:

Person 1: I'll learn you to talk real good, if'n yer so inclined!

Person 2: Your grammer leaves much to be desired...

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes, I find this type of thing irritating also. I hate it when people misuse to, two, and too. I hate it when people incorrectly use your and you're, their and they're. I don't mind typos that much because sometimes I make those, but if I catch it, I will edit and correct it.

Excluding people who gave genuine issues (dyslexia etc), it seems to me that people who can't be bothered to take the time to present their point using language that can be read without constantly going over it to figure out what it means are showing disrespect to the people who actually read it. A lot of the time if I have to read something more than twice to try and decipher it I'll just move on and ignore it. I remember years ago I used to use a forum that had one particularly vocal member who never used capital letters, rarely used punctuation (and when he did he usually used it incorrectly). His outlook seemed to be that his words and his time were of such value that nobody should expect him to take more than the absolute minimum time to write them down for the benefit of everybody else. Many other members openly mocked him.

There are a few less common homonym-related errors out there - "I'm not aloud to do that", "we should act in a Christ-like manor", "when more knowledge is needed advice will be sort" etc. Because they appear less commonly than the regular "your/you're" mismatches they usually take me a little longer to process.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Other common errors are the confusion of than/then and lose/loose. I do consider it pedantic for people to call others out publicly for such errors, but woe be unto the person who criticizes the spelling/grammar of another, and in doing so, makes a blunder of their own. Example:

Person 1: I'll learn you to talk real good, if'n yer so inclined!

Person 2: Your grammer leaves much to be desired...

Wasn't there a named law that stated that any internet post that pointed out an error in spelling or grammar would itself contain at least one speling error?

(That was deliberate, in case anyone wondered...)

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wasn't there a named law that stated that any internet post that pointed out an error in spelling or grammar would itself contain at least one speling error?

Yes:

"Skitt’s Law is an Internet axiom which states that people who correct the spelling or grammar of others are likely to commit errors themselves. It is often used as a humorous critique of the pedantic Internet users known as Grammar Nazis. Several similar laws referring to the same principle have arisen independently, but Skitt’s Law is the most prevailing term."

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Did you want to talk about your problem? We're here to help :)

Who is "we"? Are you trying to generalize now? smh...

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Yes:

"Skitt’s Law is an Internet axiom which states that people who correct the spelling or grammar of others are likely to commit errors themselves. It is often used as a humorous critique of the pedantic Internet users known as Grammar Nazis. Several similar laws referring to the same principle have arisen independently, but Skitt’s Law is the most prevailing term."

lern sum'm new evr' day.

Top Bottom