Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Which way do you worship/pray? Does it matter to you? Is there a reason for it?

Options:

1 - I worship/pray facing East
2 - I worship/pray facing West
3 - I worship/pray in another specific direction
4 - I don't pay attention to the direction, mostly, or at all

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
We are to pray without ceasing so direction is meaningless :)

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I never thought about direction.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
I wanted to say I pay no attention, but I throw my hands up in the air and face heaven.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
~Philippians2:10-11~ ... ~That at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things on earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.~
The posture really is the bowing of the heart, the worship from the heart, the acknowledgement that the Lord Jesus Christ is King of kings and Lord of Lords, God our Saviour, and that's an eternal position/posture/direction, whatever word a person chooses,
the direction of our prayer and worship is to the Lord Jesus Christ. :cheer:

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I make it a point to look more upward than down. It is at "random" times in solitude and, or silently as to not draw attention. The direction varies as does the time and place. More often than not it is when driving as strange as that may sound. It is my time that I reflect and as a result pray and give thanks.

peace

faith in selfless unity for good

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Traditionally church buildings were oriented to the East - orient means "face east" - but that is no longer always the case so some church buildings face west or north or some other direction than east.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
My prayers are generally in a place in my dwelling that faces east - but this is not intentional, it's just what I've found as convenient and has no religious significance whatsoever. I do not see that it matters much, as when I pray I have been focusing on God and with my eyes closed. However, I'm considering changing it.

Worship - I worship towards the west, generally at sunset, facing in that general direction, looking to the heavens, but am careful to heed Deuteronomy 4:19 and not worship any heavenly body. I do so for several religious reasons.

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I don't pay attention to the direction because God wants me to talk to Him and isn't it sometimes like having a conversation with a friend and you wouldn't turn your friend to a certain direction just so you could talk to him because if you think about it God is everywhere so when we pray in any direction, he's right there anyway.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
I don't pay attention to the direction because God wants me to talk to Him and isn't it sometimes like having a conversation with a friend and you wouldn't turn your friend to a certain direction just so you could talk to him because if you think about it God is everywhere so when we pray in any direction, he's right there anyway.
AMEN! Onward and Upward! :stars:

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
We are to pray without ceasing so direction is meaningless :)

There is no person on earth that does this. If one directed a single word to another person, a single thought to a given task, a single moment to something other than an "un-ceasing prayer" to God, they've broken the rule.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
There is no person on earth that does this. If one directed a single word to another person, a single thought to a given task, a single moment to something other than an "un-ceasing prayer" to God, they've broken the rule.

That's absolutely true that no one on earth can pray without ceasing. But the bible tells us we should so we should at least try to talk to God as much as possible throughout our day. My prayers aren't very lengthy because I do talk to him often even if it's a quick, "please protect him" as I pass by a cyclist on the road. I'm not going to stop my car and pull over to face a certain direction.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

It depends on how one defines prayer. If living one's life in godly devotion is considered prayer then one may well be able to pray without ceasing and still sleep, eat, wash, work and so forth.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
That's absolutely true that no one on earth can pray without ceasing. But the bible tells us we should so we should at least try to talk to God as much as possible throughout our day. My prayers aren't very lengthy because I do talk to him often even if it's a quick, "please protect him" as I pass by a cyclist on the road. I'm not going to stop my car and pull over to face a certain direction.

No one is saying you should. I started this thread to see if anyone here was conscious of direction of worship and what it means to them, if anything. Quick, on the spot prayers weren't what I was thinking of.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
No one is saying you should. I started this thread to see if anyone here was conscious of direction of worship and what it means to them, if anything. Quick, on the spot prayers weren't what I was thinking of.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply you were hoping we all prayed in one direction :D I just wanted to give my opinion that I'm not for it at all because of how prayers should be ongoing throughout the day and I gave a good example.

This got me thinking of how some cemeteries have graves pointing in one direction too! Have you heard about that?

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Not sure it's about breaking any rule. I think it's more like pray, without giving up. Don't ever get to a point in your life where you cease praying, like you're just gonna give up, that's it, done, through, not praying anymore. The idea is pray, and keep on praying, like where it's written, 'knock', it means 'and keep on knocking'. I think it's kinda like that.

Yes. And just like it says, 'Love the Lord with ALL our heart, ALL our soul, ALL our strength, ALL our mind...' Who does that either? Or our neighbor as ourself. Who does that, 100% ? But it still says to.
I guess we should pray for forgiveness when we fail to pray?? . :thinking: :huh: :unsure:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Not sure it's about breaking any rule. I think it's more like pray, without giving up. Don't ever get to a point in your life where you cease praying, like you're just gonna give up, that's it, done, through, not praying anymore. The idea is pray, and keep on praying, like where it's written, 'knock', it means 'and keep on knocking'. I think it's kinda like that.

Yes. And just like it says, 'Love the Lord with ALL our heart, ALL our soul, ALL our strength, ALL our mind...' Who does that either? Or our neighbor as ourself. Who does that, 100% ? But it still says to.
I guess we should pray for forgiveness when we fail to pray?? . :thinking: :huh: :unsure:

Pray for forgiveness for failing to pray? Sure, why not? There are times when I'm neglectful toward God. Times when I pass an accident and forget to pray for the victims since I'm concentrating on the traffic jam instead. But women should be able to do both since we multi-task so well ;)

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Pray for forgiveness for failing to pray? Sure, why not? There are times when I'm neglectful toward God. Times when I pass an accident and forget to pray for the victims since I'm concentrating on the traffic jam instead. But women should be able to do both since we multi-task so well ;)
Lol yes, that's right. Us guys have an excuse! Still not sure how you women can chat and text on the phone, put on makeup, take a sip of your beverage, and drive the car, all at the same time! :)
But I guess that's good incentive for us to pray without ceasing, eh? :=D:

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I think we CAN pray/worship without ceasing. Like right now a worship song is going forth in my spirit. It is happening without me thinking about it.That is prayer imho. When I was younger, I use to marvel at one of my aunts.When she would sit or stand up, I would hear her thanking God. That is prayer imho.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Lol yes, that's right. Us guys have an excuse! Still not sure how you women can chat and text on the phone, put on makeup, take a sip of your beverage, and drive the car, all at the same time! :)
But I guess that's good incentive for us to pray without ceasing, eh? :=D:

LOL Close enough! My husband couldn't understand how I could read a book and watch a movie with him at the same time...and be able to tell him the plot of both clearly while he struggled to just watch the movie and understand!

Top Bottom