Catholic Church definition of the canonical scriptures.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The Catholic Church didn’t decide that canon. The early church did.
Same thing, the early church called itself the Catholic Church.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I don't think anyone disputes that the Catholic Church (that one, singular, individual denomination/church) DID officially, formally adopt a specific corpus of books as the Scripture of itself.

Some claim this happened at the meeting of it itself (alone) at Florence in 1449, others claim this happened at the meeting of it itself (alone) at Trent in 1546 (the later seems more likely). The denomination claims this tradition of itself goes back to the early 5th Century (and that seems valid). But this was just itself for itself; there is no other church or denomination or sect that agrees with The Catholic Church on this, no other followed it's example or agreed with its decision; it has a UNIQUE Bible, and always has had.

And it is not alone in having done that for self. The Anglican Church did the same with its adoption of its own 39 Articles. And in a sense, the Reformed movement (Calvinism) did similarly when it adopted the Westminster Confession (although it does not intend to be exclusive). The LDS did this for itself in the 19th Century. All these have unique collections, not in agreement with each other.

Personally, I have no "issue' with a denomination determining this for it itself alone. I DO with a single denomination insisting that its decision is binding and authoritative for OTHER churches/denominations/sects and all Christians.

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
The Catholic Church didn’t add those writings. Those writings were in the original Hebrew, and the Jews removed them. The Catholic Church merely preserved what was in the original Hebrew.

Whether or not a writing is in the original Hebrew doesn't guarantee it's place in the Canon of Scripture.

Whether or not a writing is in the original Greek doesn't guarantee it's place in the Canon of Scripture.

The Jews didn't remove the book of (Esther) or (Daniel). They did reject the apocryphal writings added to (Esther) and (Daniel), which were Greek.

When I say 'Catholic Church' I am speaking of the universal Church of Jesus Christ. When I say 'Roman Church' I am speaking of what is commonly called the Roman Catholic Church.

Lees

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Catholics didn’t add those extra chapters. The Jews removed them.
They weren’t added. They were deleted.

They were not deleted as they never were part.

Lees

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Roman Catholic? Syriac Catholic? Ukranian Greek Catholic? Albanian Catholic? Etc....???
I do not knows those names, I have heard them but more so from the mouth of those who are not of the Catholic Church. the Church is Catholic. Individuals in it and national groups within her can be called Canadian Catholics, or Mexican Catholics, and I guess that those resident in Rome may be called Roman Catholics, those in Ukraine or Greece or Albania could be called Ukrainian, Greek, or Albanian Catholic respectively. But that is so because they are all part of the Catholic Church.

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
@MoreCoffee

Concerning your post #(68):

Which is why I am part of the Catholic Church. Correct?

I am just not 'Roman Catholic'. Correct?

Lees

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
@MoreCoffee

Concerning your post #(68):

Which is why I am part of the Catholic Church. Correct?

I am just not 'Roman Catholic'. Correct?

Lees
No on both counts.

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Whether or not a writing is in the original Hebrew doesn't guarantee it's place in the Canon of Scripture.

Whether or not a writing is in the original Greek doesn't guarantee it's place in the Canon of Scripture.

The Jews didn't remove the book of (Esther) or (Daniel). They did reject the apocryphal writings added to (Esther) and (Daniel), which were Greek.

When I say 'Catholic Church' I am speaking of the universal Church of Jesus Christ. When I say 'Roman Church' I am speaking of what is commonly called the Roman Catholic Church.

Lees

The Greek Daniel and Esther preserve the original Hebrew. Josephus proves that.

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
@MoreCoffee

That is incorrect.

I am part of the Catholic Church, the universal Church of Jesus Christ.

I am not part of the Roman Catholic Church.

How is it I am not part of the Catholic Church?

Why do you drop the designation 'Roman' from 'Roman Catholic'?

Lees

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
They were not deleted as they never were part.

Lees

You haven’t provided any evidence to substantiate that claim.
That claim needs facts and evidence for it to be substantiated with the evidence that could substantiate it.

NathanH83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
How does Josephus prove that?

Lees

Josephus was given the Hebrew scrolls from the temple. Yet Josephus agrees with the Greek Septuagint’s version of Esther, not the Hebrew Masoretic’s.

Read it.

Josephus says Esther was married to Artaxerxes, not Ahasuerus. That’s what the Greek says. Other parts of the story (as given by Josephus) match up with the Greek version, not the Hebrew version.

Now why would Josephus do that when he was given the Hebrew scrolls from the temple???

Hmmmmm…

Oh, he also agrees with the Greek version of Ezra.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I do not knows those names, I have heard them but more so from the mouth of those who are not of the Catholic Church. the Church is Catholic. Individuals in it and national groups within her can be called Canadian Catholics, or Mexican Catholics, and I guess that those resident in Rome may be called Roman Catholics, those in Ukraine or Greece or Albania could be called Ukrainian, Greek, or Albanian Catholic respectively. But that is so because they are all part of the Catholic Church.
I'm surprised at that answer of yours. The Roman Catholic Church is the Latin version and there are other rites also under the Papacy. They are termed the Ukrainian Catholic or (some other ethnicity) Catholic, but they all are jurisdictions under the Pope and the Roman Catholic Church.

At the same time, the word itself simply means universal in the sense of a reference to the authentic version (of the faith, in this case).

The RCC itself acknowledges this by not capitalizing the word in its use of the Nicene Creed.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
@Lees

Your diversion of this thread simply reveals that the word "catholic" is used variously among us.

"catholic" (with a little "C") typically means the entirety of Christianity, all Christians (past and present), regardless of what congregation they belong to (if any) and what denomination that parish belongs to (if any). It's an adjective for "all" "universal" and adjectives aren't capitalized.

"Catholic" (with a big "C") is a proper noun and refers to a specific denomination. An old and large on, but one denomination (one among many). Proper nouns in modern English are capitalized.

Please read the following:

CHURCH. (The word "catholic")

"The one, holy, catholic community of saints" as most Christians proclaim each Sunday. This is PEOPLE, the PEOPLE of God. ALL those to whom God has given the divine gifts of faith, spiritual life, justification (narrow) and the Holy Spirit. It is the entire corpus of such (both on earth and now in heaven). It is "invisible" in the sense that it is not a human/geopolical/legal/economic entity but is "visible" in the sense that faith among the faithful is observable. It is ONE (because we are one body, one family, brothers and sisters in Christ), united in our faith in CHRIST as THE (one, only, exclusive) Savior. It is HOLY because all in it are forgiven via that faith in that Savior. It is CATHOLIC because it embraces ALL believers everywhere and in every time, it is a communion because we are united into one spiritual entity.

Note the small, lower-case term "catholic." Because here it is an adjective and it's a violation of grammar to capitalize an adjective.

Scriptures were this sense of "catholic" is meant:

Ephesians 2:19-22
Ephesians 4:4
1 Peter 2:9
Romans 12:4
Ephesians 1:1
Luke 17:21

CONGREGATION/PARISH

A congregation is a gathering of Christian people in a given place and time.
They gather together by their Lord's direction to worship, study, serve/minister, grow, support, love and hold each other accountable. They MAY put institutional aspects into place (name, constitution/by laws, articles of corporation, budgets, officers, property, etc.) so that that association has institutional aspects or simply may be Christians who gather in some living room. While the word "church" is often used for this too, it is NOT to be confused with THE Church - the one, holy, catholic, communion of saints: these associations are at most a tiny and current subset of THE Church. There are tens of millions of congregations in the world, very few last more than a century so they tend to have a beginning and an end. It is NOT divinely mandated that all Christians associate into some congregation/parish, but many do and many believe this is a good thing but there are hundreds of millions of "non-congregational" Christians.

Biblical examples:

Galatians 1:2
1 Thessalonians 1:1
Revelation 1:4
1 Corinthians 1:2

DENOMINATION ("Catholic")

At times, a group of congregations MAY choose to associate together - forming an institution of them, an association of congregations.

This USUALLY is a formal institution - but it can at times simply refer to a common creed among congregations (as in "the Lutheran denomination" - there actually are over 300 Lutheran denomination institutions, but theoretically, most share a common creed, the Lutheran Confessions). These congregations associate together into denominations for similar reasons that Christians associate into congregations: for the purposes of mutual edification, ministry, support and accountability. Some of these are extremely "loose" (the "United Church of Christ" in the USA would be an example), the most radical forms are very strong they even may actually legally own and operate the member congregations (the Catholic Church or the Episcopal Church USA are examples of very radical, extreme denominations). Examples would be "The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod" "The Greek Orthodox Church" "The United Reformed Church in America". There are thousands of denominations in the world currently, the largest (by far) being the Catholic Church although it is highly diversified into dioceses.

Congregations can be denominational (as most are) or non-denominational. Denominational ones are associated with other congregations - with a common formal statement of faith and often with some governance above and outside itself, whereas non-denominational ones are independent and autonomous. There is no divine mandate that a congregation be denominational (and millions aren't) but most are and most believe this is a benefit.

There are no Scriptures that mention denominations. Many hold that none clearly existed until the Roman Empire formed "The Roman Church" in the early 4th Century, created by itself for itself in the image of itself.

The term "Faith Community" is sometimes used for a group of congregations (or even individual Christians) who share a common statement of faith (although not an institution) - thus "the Lutheran Faith Community" for any and all denominations, parishes or individuals who embrace the Lutheran Confessions, or "The Anglican Communion" for examples. Occasionally, "denomination" is used in this sense, too.

This is the meaning of "Catholic" (with a upper-case, capitol "C")

Some definitions:

From religioustolerance.com
Denomination: an established religious group, typically uniting a group of individual, local congregations into a single administrative body.

From thefreedictionary.com
Denomination: "A group of religious congregations united under a common faith and name and organized under a single administrative and legal hierarchy."

From onlinedictionary.com
Denomination: "a group of religious congregations having its own organization and often a distinctive faith."

From Allwords.com
Denomination: "a group of religious congregations having its own organization and a distinctive faith."

American Heritage Dictionary:
Denomination: "A large group of religious congregations united under a common faith and name and organized under a single administrative and legal hierarchy."

Is the RCC a denomination? It is unless one insists that it has no Catechism or beliefs, that is has no bishops or archbishops or cardinals or pope, that each priest is entirely autonomous, that each parish is absolutely independent and has nothing to do with ANY other parish.

Again, I don't deny that these words CAN be used in very sloppy and confusing ways, but it is clear there are these 3 very different aspects being addressed - even if some title is used.

If you want to discuss the various meanings of "church", I discouraged you from doing so HERE (it's hijacking the thread)... there are threads about that (I can give you a link).

- Josiah

Last edited:

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
You haven’t provided any evidence to substantiate that claim.
That claim needs facts and evidence for it to be substantiated with the evidence that could substantiate it.

I just followed your lead in posting something without proof or evidence. See your post #(59), and (71).

So...? You disapprove of your own method? So do I.

Lees

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Josephus was given the Hebrew scrolls from the temple. Yet Josephus agrees with the Greek Septuagint’s version of Esther, not the Hebrew Masoretic’s.

Read it.

Josephus says Esther was married to Artaxerxes, not Ahasuerus. That’s what the Greek says. Other parts of the story (as given by Josephus) match up with the Greek version, not the Hebrew version.

Now why would Josephus do that when he was given the Hebrew scrolls from the temple???

Hmmmmm…

Oh, he also agrees with the Greek version of Ezra.

Says you....

You haven't proven anything. All you are doing is stating something.

You say 'read it'. Ok, I will. Tell me where it is.

Lees

Lees

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
@Lees

Your diversion of this thread simply reveals that the word "catholic" is used variously among us.

"catholic" (with a little "C") typically means the entirety of Christianity, all Christians (past and present), regardless of what congregation they belong to (if any) and what denomination that parish belongs to (if any). It's an adjective for "all" "universal" and adjectives aren't capitalized.

"Catholic" (with a big "C") is a proper noun and refers to a specific denomination. An old and large on, but one denomination (one among many). Proper nouns in modern English are capitalized.

Please read the following:

CHURCH. (The word "catholic")

"The one, holy, catholic community of saints" as most Christians proclaim each Sunday. This is PEOPLE, the PEOPLE of God. ALL those to whom God has given the divine gifts of faith, spiritual life, justification (narrow) and the Holy Spirit. It is the entire corpus of such (both on earth and now in heaven). It is "invisible" in the sense that it is not a human/geopolical/legal/economic entity but is "visible" in the sense that faith among the faithful is observable. It is ONE (because we are one body, one family, brothers and sisters in Christ), united in our faith in CHRIST as THE (one, only, exclusive) Savior. It is HOLY because all in it are forgiven via that faith in that Savior. It is CATHOLIC because it embraces ALL believers everywhere and in every time, it is a communion because we are united into one spiritual entity.

Note the small, lower-case term "catholic." Because here it is an adjective and it's a violation of grammar to capitalize an adjective.

Scriptures were this sense of "catholic" is meant:

Ephesians 2:19-22
Ephesians 4:4
1 Peter 2:9
Romans 12:4
Ephesians 1:1
Luke 17:21

CONGREGATION/PARISH

A congregation is a gathering of Christian people in a given place and time.
They gather together by their Lord's direction to worship, study, serve/minister, grow, support, love and hold each other accountable. They MAY put institutional aspects into place (name, constitution/by laws, articles of corporation, budgets, officers, property, etc.) so that that association has institutional aspects or simply may be Christians who gather in some living room. While the word "church" is often used for this too, it is NOT to be confused with THE Church - the one, holy, catholic, communion of saints: these associations are at most a tiny and current subset of THE Church. There are tens of millions of congregations in the world, very few last more than a century so they tend to have a beginning and an end. It is NOT divinely mandated that all Christians associate into some congregation/parish, but many do and many believe this is a good thing but there are hundreds of millions of "non-congregational" Christians.

Biblical examples:

Galatians 1:2
1 Thessalonians 1:1
Revelation 1:4
1 Corinthians 1:2

DENOMINATION ("Catholic")

At times, a group of congregations MAY choose to associate together - forming an institution of them, an association of congregations.

This USUALLY is a formal institution - but it can at times simply refer to a common creed among congregations (as in "the Lutheran denomination" - there actually are over 300 Lutheran denomination institutions, but theoretically, most share a common creed, the Lutheran Confessions). These congregations associate together into denominations for similar reasons that Christians associate into congregations: for the purposes of mutual edification, ministry, support and accountability. Some of these are extremely "loose" (the "United Church of Christ" in the USA would be an example), the most radical forms are very strong they even may actually legally own and operate the member congregations (the Catholic Church or the Episcopal Church USA are examples of very radical, extreme denominations). Examples would be "The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod" "The Greek Orthodox Church" "The United Reformed Church in America". There are thousands of denominations in the world currently, the largest (by far) being the Catholic Church although it is highly diversified into dioceses.

Congregations can be denominational (as most are) or non-denominational. Denominational ones are associated with other congregations - with a common formal statement of faith and often with some governance above and outside itself, whereas non-denominational ones are independent and autonomous. There is no divine mandate that a congregation be denominational (and millions aren't) but most are and most believe this is a benefit.

There are no Scriptures that mention denominations. Many hold that none clearly existed until the Roman Empire formed "The Roman Church" in the early 4th Century, created by itself for itself in the image of itself.

The term "Faith Community" is sometimes used for a group of congregations (or even individual Christians) who share a common statement of faith (although not an institution) - thus "the Lutheran Faith Community" for any and all denominations, parishes or individuals who embrace the Lutheran Confessions, or "The Anglican Communion" for examples. Occasionally, "denomination" is used in this sense, too.

This is the meaning of "Catholic" (with a upper-case, capitol "C")

Some definitions:

From religioustolerance.com
Denomination: an established religious group, typically uniting a group of individual, local congregations into a single administrative body.

From thefreedictionary.com
Denomination: "A group of religious congregations united under a common faith and name and organized under a single administrative and legal hierarchy."

From onlinedictionary.com
Denomination: "a group of religious congregations having its own organization and often a distinctive faith."

From Allwords.com
Denomination: "a group of religious congregations having its own organization and a distinctive faith."

American Heritage Dictionary:
Denomination: "A large group of religious congregations united under a common faith and name and organized under a single administrative and legal hierarchy."

Is the RCC a denomination? It is unless one insists that it has no Catechism or beliefs, that is has no bishops or archbishops or cardinals or pope, that each priest is entirely autonomous, that each parish is absolutely independent and has nothing to do with ANY other parish.

Again, I don't deny that these words CAN be used in very sloppy and confusing ways, but it is clear there are these 3 very different aspects being addressed - even if some title is used.

If you want to discuss the various meanings of "church", I discouraged you from doing so HERE (it's hijacking the thread)... there are threads about that (I can give you a link).

- Josiah

No thanks, I don't need your link. And I haven't highjacked any thread. Perhaps I have upset your intentions, whatever they may be.

What I would like is for you, when you want to quote a source, is to give credit to that source.

I am aware of the term 'catholic'. And the term 'catholic' is not found in Scripture.

The term 'Roman Catholic' is also not found in Scripture.

The Church is found in Scripture. So, when did the Church become Roman Catholic?

Lees

Top Bottom