Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Do you give money to beggars on the street? What about those who reek of alcohol? Do you give a meal instead?

I remember hearing on the radio once how some beggars are professionals at it and make a load of money. Of course, not ALL of them are scammers! There are so many legitimate people in need.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes, where I live we dont have that but I would prefer to give a meal rather than money

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Once in awhile I give someone some money. Can't do it all the time or I'd be broke.

YESLORDIWILL

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Married

Last edited:

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
When I say food I would be apt to buy him McDonalds or some other type on the street, taking him shopping is good. I know that many times there are homeless and most dont realize it, in our small town nwe had people living under a bridge and most didnt know it and there have been others as well.

Romanos

God is good.
Executive Administrator
Community Team
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I've always been hesitant and cautious to give money to those on the street. It's a head banging moment when you're trying to do good, and the individual essentially just uses you to get their next high, precisely why I've never given.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Problem is that most are not aware of the homeless or else do not want to help their addiction. No matter the reason they are homeless and to at least give some food or support a shelter is a good thing. In our area noone wants a shelter in their backyard, a very unforgiving area I think.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Problem is that most are not aware of the homeless or else do not want to help their addiction. No matter the reason they are homeless and to at least give some food or support a shelter is a good thing. In our area noone wants a shelter in their backyard, a very unforgiving area I think.
I agree!

brinny

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
i've done both...it's usually real clear to me who needs it, and it's usually someone not asking.

This may sound weird, but i believe the verse about "entertaining angels unawares" is fer real and these "angels" are sometimes in the most unexpected "disguises"

is

GenesisGirl

Religious Affiliation
Christian
I believe the verse about angels as well but I do know there are so many people in need of our love and generosity. Where I live there are not many people who beg but I do feel they are poor, yet not totally unhappy.

brinny

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
there's lots here....

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When I went to art school in Chicago and then worked there as well I would see a lot of homeless people. Some made a LOT of money since they were good at convincing people to donate to them. Others huddled in corners wanting to remain invisible...their choice.

I had one woman beg for money so she could take the train to a certain town and I told her she was in luck because I was going there and she could have a punch off my train card. She was horrified and told me that she really just wanted the money. I laughed because I rarely had money! Caught her lying.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
True but there are many in need, of course there are those who scam the system as well, we need discernment to know the difference

ctayus

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I've been at church at 2 different times and had 2 different people come in saying they need gas money, I told them to meet me at the closest gas station and paid for some gas for them before. Its best to carry them to a fast food place and buy them a meal. Just my opinion.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I have given food a few times. I don't give money because it most likely would go to alcohol. I saw a man on the side of the road one time in Chester, VA who had a sign that said
"Let's be honest, I just want a beer".

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Do you give money to beggars on the street? What about those who reek of alcohol? Do you give a meal instead?

I remember hearing on the radio once how some beggars are professionals at it and make a load of money. Of course, not ALL of them are scammers! There are so many legitimate people in need.

I very seldom give cash to beggars.

I remember one long weekend I took in Paris. On the Saturday I was walking down the Champs Elysees and saw a beggar in a horrible condition, so much so I was shocked. He was literally dressed in rags, barefoot, dirty, propped on a stick with his hand outstretched. Being used to London beggars I was still shocked to see someone in such a state and was about to give him some money but then I noticed another beggar just like him barely 50 yards further down, and another one another 50 or so yards further down.

On the Sunday they were still there. On the Monday there wasn't a beggar to be seen. Maybe they all raised enough money they didn't need to beg any more, maybe they were at their day jobs. Either way I don't want to encourage that sort of thing - I'd rather give money to a homeless shelter than to someone who may just go and buy drink or drugs.

For me the bottom line is that I don't mind going without a beer if it means someone else, even a complete stranger, can eat where they might not have done before. I'm less inclined to go without a beer so a complete stranger can have a beer.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Another thing I remember seeing was a street beggar in London with his cap out on the floor to take coins. He had a few low-value coins in there, probably no more than 50 cents worth. Whenever someone gave him a higher value coin (in England the largest value coin is worth a little over $3) he watched the crowd quite furtively before taking the coin out of his cap and putting it in his pocket.

So if you wandered past twice an hour or two apart you'd think he'd been there begging for hours and been given less than $1, when the reality was very different.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I typically don't give money figuring it might be used for the wrong thing unless I really feel drawn to give. Our church along with several others help support the local soap kitchen and know the money is being well spent.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I typically don't give money figuring it might be used for the wrong thing unless I really feel drawn to give. Our church along with several others help support the local soap kitchen and know the money is being well spent.

That makes a lot of sense - you know people who show up get fed and you can interact with them. Even if it just shows the homeless that someone actually cares about them enough to do more than chuck a few coins their way without even slowing.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I hear ya. When I lived in Oregon we attended a very street level church that offered free lunches once a week. It was a very good experience. First you notice most have some type of addiction issue that put them on the street in the first place. I've always kind of thought that if their emotional pains were healed they would probably stop self medicating.
That makes a lot of sense - you know people who show up get fed and you can interact with them. Even if it just shows the homeless that someone actually cares about them enough to do more than chuck a few coins their way without even slowing.

Top Bottom