... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I hear ya. When I lived in Oregon we attended a very street level church that offered free lunches once a week. It was a very good experience. First you notice most have some type of addiction issue that put them on the street in the first place. I've always kind of thought that if their emotional pains were healed they would probably stop self medicating.

It's quite remarkable to see so many people walking past the homeless and how many people take a fairly sneery attitude to them as if their problems were entirely self-inflicted. Most people are one or two paychecks away from the street.

A guy I knew years ago spent some years living on the street. He had previously had a reasonable job, he came home from work one day to find his best friend in bed with his fiancee, and pretty much overnight he lost his home. With no home he didn't hold onto his job for very long, and so began a life on the street. The one aspect of his life on the street he was proud of was that he never turned to drugs.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Depends. Where we live, there are some homeless who are just that. They've been around, and they usually don't ask for money. They're glad for a meal or cup of coffee, rather than money. For others, though, I will give some change. Again-they're the regulars. I've had my experiences with those I don't know though. Where I used to live, there was a Dairy Queen right outside my apartment. I was in line for ice cream, and some guy asked me for money "to get something to eat" (yeah, right...). I refused to give him money, but told him I'd get him something to eat and asked what he wanted. He said "well, a couple of pizzas and a 2 Litre would be nice". He went on to harass others in line ;)

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
My husband amazes me... we were at a Tim's when in comes a homeless man with his bag - what was "trash" to most people were likely some of his only possessions. The clerk told him he had to leave and could not come in with his "trash" bag. IDay went and bought him a coffee and we told the clerk he was with us and he could stay as long as he needed. He was harmless, and even a bit of a forgetful gentleman.

I really like one of the new movements for helping homeless people. Go to yard sales, goodwill thrifting, etc, and pick up backpacks for next to nothing. Then fill them with kleenex, toilet paper, toothbrush/paste, soap, wet wipes, bottled water, socks, underwears, razors, dollar store snacks, shampoo... Then keep the bags in your trunk. When a homeless person is truly in need, they may appreciate a backpack even more than a meal.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
What a wonderful idea

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My husband amazes me... we were at a Tim's when in comes a homeless man with his bag - what was "trash" to most people were likely some of his only possessions. The clerk told him he had to leave and could not come in with his "trash" bag. IDay went and bought him a coffee and we told the clerk he was with us and he could stay as long as he needed. He was harmless, and even a bit of a forgetful gentleman.

I really like one of the new movements for helping homeless people. Go to yard sales, goodwill thrifting, etc, and pick up backpacks for next to nothing. Then fill them with kleenex, toilet paper, toothbrush/paste, soap, wet wipes, bottled water, socks, underwears, razors, dollar store snacks, shampoo... Then keep the bags in your trunk. When a homeless person is truly in need, they may appreciate a backpack even more than a meal.

That's a really good idea. I'm not aware of any homeless people around where I am now but previously lived in an area with several beggars. It's good to be able to offer something practical - you can tell who is genuinely wanting money for food and who just wants the cash if you offer them food instead of cash.

I remember years ago there was a homeless guy selling The Big Issue at my local station. I used to buy it from him, and in the winter time I made a point of buying it every week to make sure he had at least some money. When I found a coat I didn't wear any more in my wardrobe I planned to give him the coat to help him keep warm (he was about the same size as me), but never saw him again. I like to think he got himself off the street but there's no way of knowing for sure.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single

That is great!

brinny

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

EXCELLENT idea!

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Thanks everyone! If you do this in the winter, throw in some dollar store gloves, a scarf, tuque, and heavy socks. And even better than doing this on your own, arrange for a church blitz a couple of times a year, or ask for donations from them such as a case of TP or paper towels, etc.

Our police do this in the Vancouver Downtown Eastside - they give out blankets and Christmas gifts to homeless people there. Wonderful initiatives....

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Thanks everyone! If you do this in the winter, throw in some dollar store gloves, a scarf, tuque, and heavy socks. And even better than doing this on your own, arrange for a church blitz a couple of times a year, or ask for donations from them such as a case of TP or paper towels, etc.

Our police do this in the Vancouver Downtown Eastside - they give out blankets and Christmas gifts to homeless people there. Wonderful initiatives....
There are many good police and helpers here, too.

Top Bottom