Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
what is the first thing you changed once you owned your house? (Other than the locks)

Forgiven1

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Added knobs to the kitchen cupboards.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When my husband and I bought our first home, the initial thing we did was to paint EVERY SINGLE ROOM...except the kitchen. I don't know why we felt the need to paint everything except to make it our own. We kept the nasty carpets and looking back, I wish we had done that first.

Nazareth

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Carpets were the top of our list items to ditch. Ick. But only after we painted every room.

Then when we pulled them up we found gorgeous real hardwood flooring. A great surprise.

And yes, changing locks is a given. I wonder how many delay doing that though.

Smart houses are a thing now. Turns out the computer system that runs the house can be hacked just like any computer. Or even new cars.

Many who buy smart homes don't change that system password. Making it easier to hack.
Same as with WiFi home install. Using the system password is a mistake.

Fritz Kobus

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Rewired the garage and attic, replaced some outlets and switches, added some switches to eliminate pull chains on some basement lights.

Never painted, never changed carpet, never changed curtains. All that stuff is the same as was there when we moved in. I don't spend much money on decorative improvements. I am using a dining room table that is a basic oval which we got from my wife's grandmother when she moved out of her mobile home. Could have gotten a really fancy dining room table of solid wood from my mother-in-law but instead gave it away because it would serve my purposes.

What I should have done when I moved in (2021) was enclose the back porch (did that in 2018 and love it), and get an awning over the front porch (did that early this year) and it is great.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Aside from changing the locks I don't think we changed anything for the first several months. We wanted to have chance to live in the house and figure out what we wanted to do with it before we started throwing money at changing everything in sight.

Over time we changed the carpets in some rooms, the windows across the front of the house, the entire heating system and some of the electrics. There are a few more things to change but our tenant will benefit from them instead of us. We've got a good tenant so we'd rather keep them happy.

Joshua1Eight

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Yes
Garage door because it broke.

Jazzy

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Yes
My current log home I had custom built so there was nothing I changed. In my other home, the first thing I did was have all the old carpet removed and replaced with new carpet.

Top Bottom