THREE BAPTISMS

mailmandan

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
In regards to Acts 2:47, they were added to the Lord/the Church upon repentance/faith prior to receiving water baptism, just as we see in Acts 10:43;47; 11:17,18; 15:7-9. In Acts 4:4, we read - However, many of those who heard the word believed; and the number of the men came to be about five thousand. *What happened to baptism? In Acts 5:14, we read - And believers were increasingly added to the Lord, multitudes of both men and women. *What happened to baptism? *Hermeneutics.

In regards to Galatians 3:27, in verse 25, we read - For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus (Period.) Not through faith and water baptism. Also read John 1:12 - But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name. *Received Him, given the right to become children of God, through believing in His name, not through water baptism.

Galatians 3:27 - For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on/clothed yourself with Christ. The Greek word for "put on" is"enduo" and means to enclose oneself in, as when one "puts on" clothes or armor or some other item. Involved in this is the idea of "imitation" and "identification." "Let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light...put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof." (Romans 13:12,14) This exhortation is written to Christians (those already saved). Evidently then, baptism is not the only way to "put on" Christ. To "put on" Christ is to conform to Him, imitate Him. So it is in baptism; we "put on" Christ, conforming to Him in the ordinance that declares Him to be our Savior.

Just as 1 Corinthians 10:2 says that all (the Israelites) were "baptized into Moses" in the cloud and in the sea, but this does not mean they were literally water baptized into the body of Moses. We are baptized by one Spirit into the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:13) when we believe the gospel (Ephesians 1:13) yet in what sense would we be (water) baptized "into" Christ? In the same sense that the Israelites baptized "into" Moses. (1 Corinthians 10:2) Not literally water baptized into the body of Moses here and there is little dispute that being "baptized into Moses" signified the open allegiance and public identification of the Israelites with Moses. Moses was formally recognized as the leader of the covenant people, just as water baptism signifies our allegiance and public identification with Christ as our Savior through His death, burial and resurrection.

"Let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light...put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfill the lusts thereof" (Romans 13:12,14). This exhortation is written to Christians (those already saved). Evidently then, baptism is not the only way to "put on" Christ. To "put on" Christ is to conform to Him, imitate Him. So it is in baptism; we "put on" Christ, conforming to Him in the ordinance that declares Him to be our Savior.

"Paul wrote, "put off the old man," and "put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness"(Ephesians 4:22,24); And, "put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." (Ephesians 6:11) The allusion is to putting off old clothes and putting on new ones, to enclosing oneself in armor, etc. When a soldier puts on armor he is revealing himself to be a soldier. One does not put on a uniform in order to become a soldier. Simply putting on a soldier's uniform does not make one become a soldier. Once one is made a soldier one is then able to put on and wear the uniform that distinguishes or marks them as a soldier.

Putting on a judge's robe does not, in itself, make anyone become a "judge." But, one who has been made a judge is qualified to put on "judicial robes" and thus declare their qualifications as a judge. So too with being water baptized, the Christian puts on robes for which they has previously been qualified to wear. The putting on of Christ is not what makes one become a Christian, but one which becomes a token of it, as in Romans 13:14. If one puts on the clothes of a Christian, in water baptism, without first becoming a Christian (child of God through faith), then one becomes an imposter, and is declaring, in baptism, to be what they are not.

*There is only ONE baptism that places us into the body of Christ and that is SPIRIT baptism, not water baptism.

Ephesians 4:5 - one Lord, one faith, one baptism.

1 Corinthians 12:13 - For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body--whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free--and have all been made to drink into one Spirit. *Also see John 4:10,14; 7:37 for the word drink(s). The two elements found in the new birth (John 3:5) are living water and the Spirit (Who is the source of living water and spiritual cleansing).

In Acts 15:7-9, we read - And when there had been much dispute, Peter rose up and said to them: “Men and brethren, you know that a good while ago God chose among us, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe. (no mention of baptism) So God, who knows the heart, acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He did to us, and made no distinction between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. (not faith and baptism)

The gospel is the "good news" of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) and is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that BELIEVES.. (Romans 1:16). To “believe” the gospel is to trust in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of your salvation. The gospel is a message of grace to be received through faith. The gospel is not a set of rituals to perform, a code of laws to be obeyed or a check list of good works (including water baptism) to accomplish as a prerequisite for salvation. I hope and pray that you come to repent and believe the gospel, just as I did several years ago upon my conversion when I left the Roman Catholic church.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

mailmandan

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
EXACTLY! Not three. Not two.

And it included water. And the Spirit.

Not plain ordinary H20, but living water. (John 4:10,14; 7:37-39)

Stephen

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Sadly Stephen, I can see that you are throughly indoctrinated into Roman Catholicism and are most likely, unteachable. :(

Well if that is what you think I see no point in discussing further with you.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Sadly Stephen, I can see that you are throughly indoctrinated into Roman Catholicism and are most likely, unteachable. :(

He could say the same thing of you, you know.

mailmandan

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
He could say the same thing of you, you know.
I’m not thoroughly indoctrinated into Roman Catholicism or any other “ism” and I’m teachable, but not easily duped.

mailmandan

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I’m not thoroughly indoctrinated into Roman Catholicism or any other “ism” and I’m teachable, but not easily duped.

I see you missed my point since I didn't say you were RC. You have a doctrine that you try to push. Are you teachable? Well, are you listening to someone else's points or just trying to teach your own?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
EXACTLY! Not three. Not two.

And it included water. And the Spirit.

One baptism...water and Spirit. That's the Christian baptism.

mailmandan

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I see you missed my point since I didn't say you were RC. You have a doctrine that you try to push. Are you teachable? Well, are you listening to someone else's points or just trying to teach your own?
I sensed that your main point was that I was unteachable but I was just covering all the bases. I’ve listened to numerous points made by Roman Catholics over the years. I’ve been a member of multiple Christian forum sites for 10 years now. This is not my first rodeo. Have a nice day.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I sensed that your main point was that I was unteachable but I was just covering all the bases. I’ve listened to numerous points made by Roman Catholics over the years. I’ve been a member of multiple Christian forum sites for 10 years now. This is not my first rodeo. Have a nice day.

Let me explain my point to you...

When you tell someone that they're indoctrinated into any type of belief system, you better check your own beliefs because the same holds to you. You are indoctrinated into a belief system as well whether you want to admit it or not.

You also chose to tell someone else that he is unteachable.

The way you've chosen to post to another member comes across that you are right and he is wrong. But aren't you aware that others think the same thing about you? Did you say those things to try to have some type of upper hand or to make yourself elevated above him?

This forum is 5 1/2 years old and we've had people come and go. A lot of people come here to "teach" others. I thought we were on Christian forums for fellowship and to learn something new here and there because we sharpen each other with God's Word.

mailmandan

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Let me explain my point to you...

When you tell someone that they're indoctrinated into any type of belief system, you better check your own beliefs because the same holds to you. You are indoctrinated into a belief system as well whether you want to admit it or not.

You also chose to tell someone else that he is unteachable.

The way you've chosen to post to another member comes across that you are right and he is wrong. But aren't you aware that others think the same thing about you? Did you say those things to try to have some type of upper hand or to make yourself elevated above him?

This forum is 5 1/2 years old and we've had people come and go. A lot of people come here to "teach" others. I thought we were on Christian forums for fellowship and to learn something new here and there because we sharpen each other with God's Word.
It’s not about trying to elevate myself above another person. Having been raised in the Roman Catholic Church myself and attending Catholic school for 5 years, I understand the deep indoctrination involved in Catholicism and have witnessed it with many of my family members, including my mother. I’m speaking from experience and not merely as someone who never attended the Catholic Church. If you feel that I came across as rude or arrogant, then I apologize for that. I was just trying to be straight forward.

Stephen

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It’s not about trying to elevate myself above another person. Having been raised in the Roman Catholic Church myself and attending Catholic school for 5 years, I understand the deep indoctrination involved in Catholicism and have witnessed it with many of my family members, including my mother. I’m speaking from experience and not merely as someone who never attended the Catholic Church. If you feel that I came across as rude or arrogant, then I apologize for that. I was just trying to be straight forward.

Being exposed to Catholic practice and teaching does not necessarily mean you learned much.

I was brought up by Catholic parents. We went to Mass every Sunday. I went to a Catholic school for 13 years but I left an agnostic.
It took many years married to a good Catholic girl, and exposure to knowledgeable, faithful and Spirit filled Catholics that brought me on a journey back into the Catholic Church. For about 1 year of that time I had an Anglican priest as a spiritual director.

The more I learn the more I know I am in the right place.

I have learned not just from Catholics. For example in post #16 I mentioned a book I had read by two Charismatic Presbyterians (recommended to me by a Messianic Jew). I also bought a book from someone brought up in the Pentecostal Church of God about the Covenants, particularly the New Covenant. Though I did not agree with all they wrote I found much useful material to help my understanding of both areas of study.

Top Bottom