Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
What movies did your parents not want you to watch? When did you finally watch them? :D

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
The only one I recall that wasn't allowed was "One Flew Over the Cuckoos' Nest". I guess I was nine at the time. I saw it first as a teenager. My parents were fairly Liberal as far as movies were concerned. We watched a lot of Saturday afternoon movies - lots of Peter Sellers and such. It helped me have a rather dry sense of humor and appreciate the true greats.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My parents were very restrictive.... I mostly grew up with the Disney Channel. And not much of that, my parents generally discouraging TV entirely, encouraging play and books. We do the same with our son.

I have 2 older (surviving) siblings. I was 12 or 13 when our parents were away and the 3 of us were watching TV when "The Green Mile" came on. I think it was my brother who had heard this was a great movie and wanted to watch it, my sister and I had never heard of it. Anyway, I don't think I was engaged or particularly watching it BUT there came that scene with the execution. My sister ran over to me and covered my eyes while my bother turned off the TV as fast as he could, both (somehow) knowing how much this would disturb me (even at that age). And they were right. To this day, I have that image burned into my brain.... and for days after that, it troubled me greatly. For some reason, violence bothered me a lot.... frankly still does.

Top Bottom