KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS

Doug

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Deuteronomy 4:1 Now therefore hearken, O Israel, unto the statutes and unto the judgments, which I teach you, for to do them, that ye may live, and go in and possess the land which the LORD God of your fathers giveth you.

4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Israel failed to possess all the land promised them because they were unable to keep the commandments given them.

Jesus did not abolish the need for Israel to keep the commandments:

Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

The remnant of Israel would keep the commandments during the tribulation through the power of the Spirit (Acts 1:8):

Revelation 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

The remnant of Israel will be made kings and priests in the kingdom on earth:

Revelation 5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

JRT

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
No
4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

It is interesting that the Bible has three versions of the ten commandments but one of them is almost totally ignored and is in fact almost unknown to most Christians. I refer to the commandments listed in Exodus 34 which many scholars think was the earliest version.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The remnant of Israel would keep the commandments during the tribulation through the power of the Spirit (Acts 1:8):

Ummm ... Acts 1:8 says nothing of the sort:

[Act 1:4-8 NASB] 4 Gathering them together, He commanded them not to leave Jerusalem, but to wait for what the Father had promised, "Which," [He said,] "you heard of from Me; 5 for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now." 6 So when they had come together, they were asking Him, saying, "Lord, is it at this time You are restoring the kingdom to Israel?" 7 He said to them, "It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority; 8 but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth."

This was fulfilled starting in Acts 2 at Pentecost, continuing throughout the Book of Acts, and on to the current day.

atpollard

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It is interesting that the Bible has three versions of the ten commandments but one of them is almost totally ignored and is in fact almost unknown to most Christians. I refer to the commandments listed in Exodus 34 which many scholars think was the earliest version.
I find that just trying to keep the “Cliffnotes” version (the Two Commandments) that Jesus gave is hard enough:

Jesus said to him, "'You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." [Matthew 22:37-40 NKJV]

Odë:hgöd

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Matt 19:17 . . And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none
good but one, that is God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments

Seeing as none but God are good, then it's obvious that none but God can enter
into life by means of goodness. However, if someone would like to give it a try
anyway in spite of the fact that failure is inevitable; then Jesus suggests they begin
their quest with the commandments.
__

Top Bottom