... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I moved the other thread that contained inspirational sayings. This thread is for Bible verses that people find inspirational. Feel free to share a verse or a passage, and perhaps explain why you find it inspirational.

I'll kick off the new thread:

Eze 37:1-14 NKJV The hand of the LORD came upon me and brought me out in the Spirit of the LORD, and set me down in the midst of the valley; and it was full of bones. (2) Then He caused me to pass by them all around, and behold, there were very many in the open valley; and indeed they were very dry. (3) And He said to me, "Son of man, can these bones live?" So I answered, "O Lord GOD, You know." (4) Again He said to me, "Prophesy to these bones, and say to them, 'O dry bones, hear the word of the LORD! (5) Thus says the Lord GOD to these bones: "Surely I will cause breath to enter into you, and you shall live. (6) I will put sinews on you and bring flesh upon you, cover you with skin and put breath in you; and you shall live. Then you shall know that I am the LORD." ' " (7) So I prophesied as I was commanded; and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and suddenly a rattling; and the bones came together, bone to bone. (8) Indeed, as I looked, the sinews and the flesh came upon them, and the skin covered them over; but there was no breath in them. (9) Also He said to me, "Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath, 'Thus says the Lord GOD: "Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these slain, that they may live." ' " (10) So I prophesied as He commanded me, and breath came into them, and they lived, and stood upon their feet, an exceedingly great army. (11) Then He said to me, "Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. They indeed say, 'Our bones are dry, our hope is lost, and we ourselves are cut off!' (12) Therefore prophesy and say to them, 'Thus says the Lord GOD: "Behold, O My people, I will open your graves and cause you to come up from your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel. (13) Then you shall know that I am the LORD, when I have opened your graves, O My people, and brought you up from your graves. (14) I will put My Spirit in you, and you shall live, and I will place you in your own land. Then you shall know that I, the LORD, have spoken it and performed it," says the LORD.' "

I like this passage because, aside from the immediate relevance to the house of Israel being cut off, I see it as showing how God brings hope into the most hopeless of situations. Death is one thing, to be dead and decomposed to a skeleton is the next level, and for the skeleton to then become a bunch of scattered dry bones is another level still. Yet despite this total lack of hope, the power of God at work brings even this kind of death back to life. No matter how badly lost we might appear to be, God can breathe new life.

I also like the slight twist in the original exchange between God and Ezekiel - "can these bones live?" has got to be the ultimate trick question. The answer is obviously that they cannot under anything like normal conditions but by merely asking the question God is almost implying that the obvious answer isn't so obvious. And Ezekiel's answer is almost a dodge in itself, before he then steps out in faith and speaks the words that are surely commanding the impossible to happen right before him.

brinny

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
a more recent verse that lit up for me like a light bulb is:

"And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God." ~Deuteronomy 28:2

it's delightful in that God s saying that His blessings will "hunt you down"/"chase" after you and overtake you (you can't out-run them)

God sends those blessings out like a "missile" hahaaa

Top Bottom