Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Good works are not ‘building blocks’ in the ‘progress’ of the christian, they are fruits of the whole, the ‘good tree.'
– Gerhard Forde

Yes! It's not us building ourselves up to gain eternity. We rely on Jesus's death and resurrection for that. Our good works show that we have fruit, not to gain anything from doing them.

Faithhopeandcharity

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Yes
Matthew 7:18
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

The fruit of the tree of Mary is our salvation! Matt 1:21 Lk 2:30 Jesus is our salvation! This reflects the immaculate conception of Mary and the miraculous conception of Jesus!
Lk 1:30 Mary found our salvation!
Lk 1:38 consented to our salvation!

A good tree (immaculate conception) Lk 1:49 God has done this and it is marvelous in our eyes!

Isa 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Matt 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

A sinner would be an evil tree with evil fruit, but the fruit of Mary is salvation!

Mary brings in the good fruits of our redemption and salvation!

Faithhopeandcharity

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Yes
Prayer, fasting, alms, practicing virtue are not Christian?

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Good works are not ‘building blocks’ in the ‘progress’ of the christian, they are fruits of the whole, the ‘good tree.'
– Gerhard Forde

Yes! It's not us building ourselves up to gain eternity. We rely on Jesus's death and resurrection for that. Our good works show that we have fruit, not to gain anything from doing them.

We're not saved by our works but I'm not sure it's accurate to say we gain nothing from them. Paul talks of our works being tested and receiving a reward:

1 Corinthians 3:9–15 (NKJV): For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, you are God’s building. According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

Unless the foundations are right (i.e. based on Christ) the building is worthless but here Paul seems to be suggesting we can take a solid foundation and build something worthless on it, in which case we will still be saved but won't receive the same reward as others. I'm not sure what that reward might be, I guess sooner or later we'll either have it or see someone else having it.

Top Bottom