Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I was on crutches about two months ago due to an injury and not allowed to put weight on my right knee at all. It has been a long road back and now I am able to walk without pain, although I notice some pain every once in a while (mainly on the outside of my knee if I move suddenly). Last year I was running in some events, but this year I couldn't even if I wanted to because there are no road races here due to COVID19. Which makes sense since people are tightly packed together at the beginning of most races.
I went to a nearby track today and walked for an hour getting over 6,800 steps. I am planning on doing that for a few weeks and then adding slowly some running. It will be quarter to half mile distance for a while and then slowly add more, assuming I don't injure myself again.
One obstacle that I am having is that during this time of pandemic and isolation that I have gained weight while I have been recovering. I am going to have to work on losing some weight as well.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I recently spent several weeks listening to lectures from Dr. M. Robert Mullholland from Asbury Seminary about the book of Revelation. He had a very different viewpoint than what I have heard before. It has caused me to rethink some of my previously held views. One of the concluding statements that is made in that class is that Revelation is a call to discipleship to live as faithful followers of Christ and citizens of New Jerusalem in a fallen Babylon world. There are several other conclusions that I made.

I don't know if you have ever gone to a worship service and felt dissatisfied with it. You walk away feel like there must be something more and feel like while it was nice that there was something missing. Maybe you felt like you really didn't meet with God, but only heard a viewpoint from a man or woman who was speaking. Well, the good news of this passage is that this will one day change. One day as citizens of New Jerusalem we will dwell with God and our worship of Him will be face to face and no longer missing anything. Revelation 22:3-4 says

"And there shall no longer be any curse; and the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it, and His bond-servants shall serve Him; and they shall see His face, and HIs name shall be on their foreheads."

This longing for something more will one day be fulfilled by God himself. The second thing is that one day God will have the final word in his creation and make things right. Even the best leaders of our country when you look back on history have had major weaknesses. Whether it is JFK who was incredibly unfaithful to his spouse and use to sneak women up the back steps of the White House to Nixon who created Watergate and resigned in disgrace or other mistakes that leaders have made. We aren't to put our ultimate hope in a world leader or party. Don't pin all your hopes to some man who makes mistakes.

While it is true that I am an American citizen, there is a sense in which all of us who are believers have a dual citizenship. We are not only citizens of this country, but also of New Jerusalem. We see our first glimpse of this in Revelation 21:1-2. In it the tabernacle or dwelling place of God dwells among men. It goes on to say,

"And He shall wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there shall no longer be any death; there shall no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away." vs.4

Several times then Jesus issues the invitation to drink of the water of life without costs Rev 21:6, 22:17. This book of Revelation is very difficult to understand. It takes a serious student of the Bible who can look at the history and think about what John's original readers would have thought of this and how they would have interpreted it. I heard someone say that the theme of Revelation really is the throne of God. I don't think that is far from the mark. This book begins and ends with a picture of the risen Christ as the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end Rev 1:8; 22:13. That while we live in a fallen world that is very much an adulterous and wicked generation we are called to live as citizens of a different kingdom. A kingdom of New Jerusalem, loyal to the Lamb, in the midst of a fall Babylon world.

Revelation 21:4 also mentions that there will no longer be any death. Death robs all of us of loved ones interrupting our lives and creating an emptiness. We miss those who have passed on before us. Even Dr.Mulholland who taught the class I mentioned passed away years ago. I am only able to see his lectures due to the fact that they were taped. In Revelation 20:10 we see that the evil one is thrown into the lake of fire where he is tormented forever. While at times it looks as though evil people win, that is only an illusion. Satan is an enemy who has been beaten by the cross and resurrection of Jesus. The citizens of New Jerusalem whose names are in the Lamb's book of life will one day be victorious. The church will one day worship in God's presence fully victorious. It says of Death

"And death and Hades (the grave) where thrown into the lake of fire. This the second death, the lake of fire. And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire." Rev 20:14-15.

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
some study notes from Philippians 4
Philippians 4

Verses 1-6

Paul is close to the Philippians and longs to see them. He refers to them as his joy and crown. They are his work as an apostle. The word crown is stephanos- which is a metaphor for the eternal blessedness which will be given as a prize to the genuine servants of God and Christ. Paul encourages these believers to stand firm or steko- to stand firm, to persevere, to persist.

Paul stops in verse 2 to mention a personal concern between two believers and that they live in harmony. In verse 3 he goes on to mention Clement and others who have contended at Paul’s side and names are written in the book of life. Jesus tells those who went out to preach and the demons submitted to them not to rejoice in this but to rejoice that their names are recorded in heaven Luke 10:20.

Vs.4 he tells them again in this verse to rejoice in the Lord just as he did in 3:1. Rejoice- chairo- to rejoice exceedingly, to be well, to be glad. It is in the Lord and not in circumstances which can change at a moment. In fact, Paul’s circumstances in this moment was that he was in prison. Yet, as it says later in this chapter, his contentment was not founded on his circumstance.

Vs.5- He tells them to let their gentle spirit be known to all “gentle spirit”- epieikes- suitable, equitable, fair, mild. NASV translates this “forebearing spirit”. Paul adds the Lord is near “engys” near of place and position of times imminent and soon to come to pass Hebrews 10:37.

Verses 6-11

Vs.6 Paul begins this section by telling them to be anxious for nothing. Anxious is the word Merimnao to be anxious, to care for, look out for. Rather they are to lift up prayers and supplications to the Lord with thankfulness and let their requests be known to God. The word supplication is deesis which means need, indigence, want, a seeking, asking, entreating. Ephesians 6:18 tells us to pray at all times in the Spirit. We are told to ask, seek and knock Matthew 7:8. We have to remember that with God all things are possible Matthew 19:26

Vs.7- God’s peace transcends understanding. This peace will guard your hearts and minds in Christ. This is assuming we have done what Paul said and submit our concerns to God with prayers and supplications. Comprehension- nous- the mind, including the facilities of perceiving and understanding and those of feeling, judging and determining.

“will guard”- phroureo- to guard, protect by a military guard.

Heart- cardia- used 159x as heart, the vigour of and sense of physical life and centre and seat of spiritual life.

Mind- noema- a mental perception, thought. Also used in 2 Corinthians 3:14, 4:4, 10:5, 11:3 and 2:11.

Vs.8 Paul addresses both brothers and sisters in Christ and tells them to focus their thoughts on what is noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, or praiseworthy. There are a number of places in scripture where we are told to renew our minds such as Romans 12:2; Col 3:10, Titus 3:5

Vs.9 is similar to verse 17. He tells them to practice those things which they have seen and follow his example.

Dwell vs.8 is the word logizomai- a verb used 41x and most often as think, impute, reckon, count, account means to take into account.

4:10- Paul says that the Philippians wanted to help Paul before but had no opportunity to show it. It may have been that nobody was available to bring the gift to Paul. 2 Corinthians 11:9 seem to suggest that a church in Macedonia area supports Paul, possibly Philippian church.

4:11- Paul says that he has learned to be content regardless of circumstances.

The phrase “have learned” manthano- to learn, be appraised, to hear, be informed, to learn by use and practice.

“content” eutarkes- sufficient for one’s self, strong enough or possessing enough to need no aid or support.

David Guzik says of 4:6 that Paul wrote that everything is the proper subject of prayer. Nothing is too small for everything is small to an infinite God. Guzik also says that the Bible describes 3 great aspects of peace that relate to God. 1 Peace from God. It is a gift. 2. The peace with God- because of Christ we now have peace with God. 3. The peace of God. It is beyond all our power of thinking. We cannot explain it. Romans 12:2, 2 Corinthians 10:5

Verses 12-23

Verse 12- to be in want (NASV translates it suffering need) tapeinoo- to humble, a humble condition.

Paul says his adequacy is from God 2 Corinthians 3:5.

Verse 13 strengthens- endynamoo- to empower, invigorate.

Ephesians 3:16 he prays that they might be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man

Paul mentiones some of the circumstances that they endured in 1 Corinthians 4:11, that they were hungry and thirsty, poorly clothed, roughly treated and homeless.

Vs.14- Paul praises them for sharing their gift and to support him in his affliction. This is not the first time the Philippian church has supported Paul but did so also while Paul was in Thessalonica.

Vs.18- Paul refers to their gift as a fragrant aroma and sacrifice, pleasing to God.

Sacrifice is the word Thusia an offering or service to God.

Riches vs19- ploutos- those rich benefits that’s flow from Christ

Vs.20-23 Paul’s closing. He lets it be known that some have converted from Caesar’s household. Paul also ends Romans in Romans 16:20 by emphasizing grace Romans 16:20 and also in 2 Timothy 4:22. Grace is the word charis which is used 155x and means free favor, graciousness, an act of favor, gracefulness. It is not a wage, but a gift.

Resources

The Interpreter’s One Volume Commentary on the Bible, Charles M Laymon editor, 1971.

Greek and English Interlinear New Testament (NASB/NIV) by William D. Mounce and Robert H. Mounce, Zondervan, 2008

The Wycliffe Bible Commentary, Edited by Charles F. Pfeiffer and Everett F. Harrison, Moody Press, Chicago, 1962

Top Bottom