Women wearing the pants!

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some denominations saying it doesn't mean there's any Scriptural basis for it. Does it not seem silly to assume that women should wear clothes that don't fit very well just because the ones that do fit well are marketed primarily to men? Is it somehow sinful to wear clothes that fit well just because someone in a marketing department somewhere decided they were intended for someone else?

God doesn't like it, so I won't wear the opposite gender's clothes no matter how well it fits.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
God doesn't like it, so I won't wear the opposite gender's clothes no matter how well it fits.

I suspect that particular rule was more cultural than eternal. To be honest I think it's silly to argue that we have to choose a pair of jeans that don't fit because the other pair of jeans that does fit are labelled as being for the other gender. And since we regard so many other rules from the time as being cultural rather than eternal (e.g. wearing clothes of mixed fibers, cutting the edges of our beards etc) I don't really think we need to worry that our choice of clothes has to align perfectly with what the marketing department says in order to please God.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suspect that particular rule was more cultural than eternal. To be honest I think it's silly to argue that we have to choose a pair of jeans that don't fit because the other pair of jeans that does fit are labelled as being for the other gender. And since we regard so many other rules from the time as being cultural rather than eternal (e.g. wearing clothes of mixed fibers, cutting the edges of our beards etc) I don't really think we need to worry that our choice of clothes has to align perfectly with what the marketing department says in order to please God.

You are mixing up cultural things with other types of things.

And, I don't believe there is any women who cant find any thing to wear except men's pants.

Mozzie

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Clothing for woman was ans still is a cultural thing, the clothing back in the days of the children of Israel were taken seriously due to the actual dressing involved and very different than what we have today.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Clothing for woman was ans still is a cultural thing, the clothing back in the days of the children of Israel were taken seriously due to the actual dressing involved and very different than what we have today.

It isn't about cultural for men not to wear women's clothes and vice versa.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You are mixing up cultural things with other types of things.

And, I don't believe there is any women who cant find any thing to wear except men's pants.

I don't think I am mixing cultural things at all. I just don't think sinfulness or otherwise is determined by what label the marketing department puts on a pair of jeans.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think I am mixing cultural things at all. I just don't think sinfulness or otherwise is determined by what label the marketing department puts on a pair of jeans.

God says He hates men to wear women's clothes; and the same for women wearing men's clothes. That is good for me.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
God was warning women not to flaunt and wear their wealth because it's idolatrous.
Putting on jeans is something recently invented and it's nothing compared to an expensive head dress and dangling pearl earrings and purple dresses (something very expensive and smelly in those days)... I'm sorry but blue jeans are not the devil

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God was warning women not to flaunt and wear their wealth because it's idolatrous.
Putting on jeans is something recently invented and it's nothing compared to an expensive head dress and dangling pearl earrings and purple dresses (something very expensive and smelly in those days)... I'm sorry but blue jeans are not the devil

I agree, and men don't need to wear women's jeans and women aren't supposed to wear men's jeans, we have our own.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I agree, and men don't need to wear women's jeans and women aren't supposed to wear men's jeans, we have our own.
it's true that men should not dress as women do and visa versa

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
God says He hates men to wear women's clothes; and the same for women wearing men's clothes. That is good for me.

God also says we mustn't wear clothes of mixed fibers, trim the edges of our beards, eat pork or shellfish etc. Besides which, if you really want to follow the cultural expectations of the ancient Israelites I'd defer to God rather than the marketing department to decide whether a garment is for men or women. Otherwise all it takes is a man in a wood-panelled office to decide that your entire wardrobe is now "women's clothing" and that "normal men" are being sold flowery dresses and you have to change your entire wardrobe.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
We are to follow God and what He says rather than what society says is OK, that seems to get blurred nowadays

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We are to follow God and what He says rather than what society says is OK, that seems to get blurred nowadays

Which is fine, but completely ignores the issue of determining the difference between a rule that was cultural and a rule that is eternal. Unless you want to follow every single rule laid out in the OT you have to accept that some rules aren't for us today.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Which is fine, but completely ignores the issue of determining the difference between a rule that was cultural and a rule that is eternal. Unless you want to follow every single rule laid out in the OT you have to accept that some rules aren't for us today.
Some perhaps but the Word is the Word and what blurs the line between men and women is and has not ever been ok to God. Man can say what he wants, it is this blurring that makes everything in the word questioned to its validity. God doesnt change and I have a feeling there is special torment for those who try to blur the lines and lead others astray

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Some perhaps but the Word is the Word and what blurs the line between men and women is and has not ever been ok to God. Man can say what he wants, it is this blurring that makes everything in the word questioned to its validity. God doesnt change and I have a feeling there is special torment for those who try to blur the lines and lead others astray

Yes, except you're still muddling issues here. It's all very well to say things like "the Word is the Word" but you still didn't address the question of what was meant for the ancient Israelites and what is meant for us today. There's also a world of difference between overtly wearing clothes that confuse genders, and wearing clothes that are more or less identical but simply designated "mens" or "womens" by a marketing department.

Unless you obey every single rule as laid out in the OT comments about blurring like this are, frankly, useless.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes, except you're still muddling issues here. It's all very well to say things like "the Word is the Word" but you still didn't address the question of what was meant for the ancient Israelites and what is meant for us today. There's also a world of difference between overtly wearing clothes that confuse genders, and wearing clothes that are more or less identical but simply designated "mens" or "womens" by a marketing department.

Unless you obey every single rule as laid out in the OT comments about blurring like this are, frankly, useless.
And so says the LBGTQ community and every other issue that is balck and white in scripture but lets throw it all out and then everything is OK that is where the world is headed anyway, and sadly the church as well just not those of us who know better.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
And so says the LBGTQ community and every other issue that is balck and white in scripture but lets throw it all out and then everything is OK that is where the world is headed anyway, and sadly the church as well just not those of us who know better.

You're still throwing around a lot of vague terms here.

Does your church require women to separate themselves during their monthly cycle? Do you refrain from wearing clothes of mixed fiber? Do you avoid eating pork and shellfish? Do you abstain from cutting the edges of your beard? Does your church require women to cover their heads? If you do any of those things you don't really get to just shrug and act as if it's as simple as "the Word is the Word" and that all we have to do is obey what God says.

And of course, as you say, as soon as you regard one rule as being cultural and another as being eternal you have to be able to explain where you draw the line and why.

But hey, if you want to claim that Scripture is black and white and everything is as easy as you suggest by all means keep every part of every rule laid out in the Old Testament.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God also says we mustn't wear clothes of mixed fibers, trim the edges of our beards, eat pork or shellfish etc. Besides which, if you really want to follow the cultural expectations of the ancient Israelites I'd defer to God rather than the marketing department to decide whether a garment is for men or women. Otherwise all it takes is a man in a wood-panelled office to decide that your entire wardrobe is now "women's clothing" and that "normal men" are being sold flowery dresses and you have to change your entire wardrobe.

No, a person really can tell if it's a man's or a woman's article of clothing.

Jesus said all foods are clean if you are thankful to God for it.

Hair and beards are cultural, and dressing like a homosexual is still wrong.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
No, a person really can tell if it's a man's or a woman's article of clothing.

Jesus said all foods are clean if you are thankful to God for it.

Hair and beards are cultural, and dressing like a homosexual is still wrong.

I'll bet if you saw a couple of my wife's friends you'd struggle to tell if the jeans they were wearing were marketed to men or women. We're not talking about dressing like a homosexual, although the Bible doesn't specifically mention dressing like a homosexual (how do they dress anyway - all the gay people I know dress just like anyone else).

Still, at least you've got some concept of rules being cultural rather than eternal. You're making stuff up along the way, but we're making progress.

YourTruthGod

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll bet if you saw a couple of my wife's friends you'd struggle to tell if the jeans they were wearing were marketed to men or women. We're not talking about dressing like a homosexual, although the Bible doesn't specifically mention dressing like a homosexual (how do they dress anyway - all the gay people I know dress just like anyone else).

Still, at least you've got some concept of rules being cultural rather than eternal. You're making stuff up along the way, but we're making progress.

You are making it up that God doesn't hate it for men and women to wear each other's clothes.

If your wife's friends clothes are that unrecognizable as men's, then why don't they just wear clothes made for women?

Top Bottom