Why I Gave Up

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Well, heathen or not, kids want a Christmas tree. I'll get one friday.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
While there is an argument against giving presents on Christmas day or eve, it would be more authentic, from a Biblical POV, to do it on Epiphany, January 6, than on the feast of St. Nicholas in early December.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes but a fun thing I once read is that w Hannukah thats at the same time, if you count 9 month back the Light came in the world, cause Mary conceived Jesus that time.

That seems to hark back to a tradition that may or may not have any roots in reality that held that prophets were either conceived or born on the same day they died. That in itself seems to be a bit of a leap of faith but if it is taken as fact then December 25 isn't a reasonable best guess as to when Jesus was born.

Of course it's all based on one assumption after another, even down to the notion that a human pregnancy lasts exactly 9 months to the day (and as I'm sure any mother will realise that's not always the case). All the discussion over the exact date also stems from a notion that it actually matters - in many ways I'm inclined to think that, because the actual date of Christ's birth isn't recorded and he never told us to commemorate it anyway, we don't actually need to know. Curiosity is fine but when theology ends up being built on guesswork and assumption that's not necessarily a good place to be.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
While there is an argument against giving presents on Christmas day or eve, it would be more authentic, from a Biblical POV, to do it on Epiphany, January 6, than on the feast of St. Nicholas in early December.

I still prefer the basic notion of "I saw this and thought of you" rather than "I bought you this because it's the end of December and social convention requires that I get you something".

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I still prefer the basic notion of "I saw this and thought of you" rather than "I bought you this because it's the end of December and social convention requires that I get you something".

The second is more loving and thoughtful.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes

Our family does (did) both.
We have (had) a kind of adults party at Epiphany with some parlor games and buffet style party food and hors d'ouvres and snacks and deserts all night.

Christmas is more about the the families within the family ... especially those with kids.

I dont fit in so much with it, and even though ppl come out more for church at Christmas and Easter, its a bit different for me.
Church is where its at for me anyway year round, when I can, I wish it was more, but anyway, it can make for some odd feelings when theres a big family thing at a holiday like this, bc theres RCatholics, more mainstream 'protestants', and believers and unbelievers too, all mixed in our family.

I just look for opportunities, but family usually doesnt want to 'get into it' much, so I really just am glad to spend some time in church with like-minded believers praising and rejoicing in our Saviour and hearing another Christmas message about the wonders of His love. But then ppl go home to there families.

I get mixed emotions, and this year looks to be a rather lonely Christmas, even more than usual, so ... Yeah, mixed emotions around the holidays.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Our family does (did) both.
We have (had) a kind of adults party at Epiphany with some parlor games and buffet style party food and hors d'ouvres and snacks and deserts all night.

Christmas is more about the the families within the family ... especially those with kids.
I like that! Usually, Epiphany is an afterglow following Christmas and all the decorations, and the spirit of the time, etc. are gone. Churchgoers generally know what it means, but they've gotten past the season in their thoughts.

I get mixed emotions, and this year looks to be a rather lonely Christmas, even more than usual, so ... Yeah, mixed emotions around the holidays.
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I know what you mean and why, but I hope you will come upon an opportunity during the season that will bring back some of the feeling known in earlier years.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
I like that! Usually, Epiphany is an afterglow following Christmas and all the decorations, and the spirit of the time, etc. are gone. Churchgoers generally know what it means, but they've gotten past the season in their thoughts.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I know what you mean and why, but I hope you will come upon an opportunity during the season that will bring back some of the feeling known in earlier years.

Thank you!
Can I move this post to my 'Let brotherly love continue' thread?! Lol
Really, honestly, I appreciate your words here ... Brother.:shake:
It's means alot to me that you took the time to reply to my post like that.
I pray for a joyful Christmas for you, too, and everyone here as well. Thanks.

*edit add-on↓
(And yeah, I notice a bit of resentment in my voice of late. I dont deny it and I know I can do better, but I also know its not all completely without cause, but it's still not healthy.
A work in progress, but still no excuse.
I just thank the Lord HIS mercies are new every morning, and that's something I wish EVERY believer could get written deep in their heart ... God's mercies are new every morning!)
Thank you, Jesus!

Last edited:
Top Bottom